You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF importing to loose embedded font

• Staff

Hi Duboiz, 

Welcome to the forums :)

We don't currently support embedded fonts within PDFs however this is something we would like to do in the future!

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

On 6/20/2019 at 3:28 PM, Callum said:

We don't currently support embedded fonts within PDFs however this is something we would like to do in the future!

Callum, I think many users would be interested in the reasoning behind Affinity's approach to importing PDFs, and reassurance that making them more accurate is a priority. Every other DTP and page layout app can reliably import a PDF as a placed 'image' - e.g. quarter-page adverts from different clients, logos, watermarks, etc.

I admire Affinity's approach in trying to make imported PDFs as 'editable' as possible, but this is at the considerable expense of fidelity (even with "Favour editable text over fidelity" UNchecked). 

Vector artwork editors like Illustrator can open PDF pages, display the contents accurately (outlining some glyphs if necessary), and still allow them to be edited. As things stand, any PDF must be entirely outlined before importing into Affinity, to guarantee fidelity.

I'm a massive fan of the Affinity Suite, but this is a major obstacle to full adoption.

Screenshot 1.png

On 6/20/2019 at 4:28 PM, Callum said:

Hi Duboiz, 

Welcome to the forums :)

Thanks

C

Sorry, but I think this is a big drawback and should be solved asap. Sometimes we have publications like magazines to do, with placed ads, which are delivered by third parties in PDF-Format and not with outlined type. This is the industry standard. I only deliver PDFs with text which is not outlined to printers myself. Placed ads get destroyed if the PDF is not just linked, but "interpreted" and broken down into editable elements by Publisher. I have never seen any other (layout) program behaving like this. To place PDFs "as they are" with all the embeds has to be an alternative! Otherwise the application is great, keep up the good word, thanks!

• Staff

Hi benwiggy, Mihu,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We are aware this is an important/fundamental feature and as Callum pointed out it will be added in an upcoming update/version however due to its complexity it's something that will require some time and testing to be implemented correctly. Importing a PDF as a placed 'image' also requires embedded fonts support to render the text properly.

3 hours ago, MEB said:

We are aware this is an important/fundamental feature and as Callum pointed out it will be added in an upcoming update/version however due to its complexity it's something that will require some time and testing to be implemented correctly. Importing a PDF as a placed 'image' also requires embedded fonts support to render the text properly.

MEB, Thanks for your comments.

I know that a developer fairy dies whenever someone says "surely it must be easy to implement X", but ... rendering a PDF with embedded fonts on a display is hardly a novel challenge. I've got apps using at least five different rendering engines on my Mac right now, three of which are cross-platform.

However, you obviously know the details, so I can only wait with patience. I'm sure the implementation will be amazing when it comes.

12 minutes ago, benwiggy said:

rendering a PDF with embedded fonts on a display is hardly a novel challenge

Serif PagePlus can interpret the fonts embedded in a PDF file, so the developers obviously know how to do it!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I was so happy about Final version of Publisher. Unfortunately, the tool without PDF import with embedded fonts is absolutely not suitable! Every publisher, every freelancer works with ads. And the ads are delivered as PDF, it's a standard. Without this feature, unfortunately, very good program is absolutely useless!

I just started a project with Publisher, but I have to go back to InDesign, unfortunately :-(((