Daniel Gibert

Table of Content based on paragraph style and with multiple styles of TOC

I'v been testing the creation of table of content on Publisher and find it very limited on possibilities.

Maybe i'm wrong, but it seems that a TOC can only be created based on page sections, and that you can only assign a unique style to the whole table.

In wordprocessors and InDesign, table of content can and is usually generated based on paragraph styles, particularly Header styles. And you can assign different styles on the table based on what the original paragraph style is.

This is particularly necessary on reports and technical documents, where you have different levels of content that can be on the same page and that must be included on the TOC, and visually different. On Publisher you can't create subsections nor create a TOC with multiple items on the same page. Is limited to a simple section title (As you can only assign a unique section per page).

I've attached the TOC of a recent report I made on InDesign, that I can't reproduce on Publisher. On Indesign is automaticaly generated based on the paragraph styles (No need to create sections), and can create levels of content by detecting multiple paragraph styles, no problem if there are multiple instances on the same page, and also you can assign a paragraph style for each level of TOC.

Hope I'm wrong and there is something that is hiding from me, but by now, the TOC of Publisher seems only usable to simple (very) basic chapter books. Making a report TOC like the attached one will mean doing the TOC manually (ouch!)

toc.jpg

14 minutes ago, Mark Daniel said:

I don't think there is anything in your screen shot you can't do with Publisher. There is a tutorial here that should get you started. 

I watched the tutorial before posting and based on it is why I’m posting this. Based on he tutorial it seems that TOC is created based on sections.The TOC panel allows you to select different paragraph styles as source but there is no apparent way to assign a style to each one to be used on the TOC. As I said, maybe i’m wrong and missing something. I’ll keep trying tomorrow.

As it happens the TOC in the tutorial uses only one style which in that document are chapter headings but you can tick as many styles to include as you like and they can appear anywhere in the document.

About 5 mins in to the tutorial it shows all the text styles generated for the TOC in the right hand Text styles panel. This part of the tutorial could certainly be expanded upon but if you create a TOC and start editing these styles you will see you can apply all the formatting you have shown above. The styles are hierarchical so you can affect the whole TOC, entries for a particular source style and numbers all together or separately. 

Thank you very much. Effectively it was difficult to see from the tutorial. And effectively I was missing something.

this is why I love Affinity. Thanks again. Tomorrow will try.

You can generate TOC from any set of paragraph styles, and give them different levels, like level 1 for chapters and level 2 for subchaters.

You can assign different paragraph styles to each level of the TOC.

If you're familiar with InDesign TOC you should pick it up easily. I did it since the Beta without having to look at any tutorial.