You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF export error

Hi,

first of all a great "Thank you very much ,for this fantastic software!". It's long ago that I was so much amazed by an app like I did with Publisher Beta and the final version. You all did a great job. The days of using software that I have to rent are counted.

But I am sorry to say, I found an importatnt issue that keeps me from using Publisher 1.7.1 on Mac for production work: After creating something that has to be printed in a printing house I tried to create an X4 PDF, but without luck. I always get the message about an export error (without any specifications). I tried various settings and found this: My documet is made in RGB modus, even the photos are in RGB. Since PDF X4 is CMYK I selected CMYK colorspace and switched on the converting option also for photos. Whatever I try, the software stops with the same error. If I use PDF 1.7 which is an RGB PDF, then everything works fine. But my printing house of course wants CMYK. Is this a bug or did I do something wrong? What can I do? Is there any help?

Thanks a lot in advance

Karl

Hi Karl H.,
– nice to have you here after your period of beta testing.

In my experience an .afpub document fails on export with unspecified error message because of a font issue.
To detect such an affected font you could do either/or ...

• export partially: smaller amounts of spreads –> single spreads or pages –> grouped or single selected objects
  • convert text to curves before export
  • close Affinity Publisher > deactivate all custom fonts in your computer system > open your .afpub (ignore missing font messages) > export with its auto-substituted fonts
  • format all text with a failure free font, e.g. Arial

Or just upload your document to the forum.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hello Thomaso,

thank you for welcoming me here and thanks a lot for your tipp!

I've tried it and yes, it works! Of course, it was hard for me as a photographer and designer to switch all my well designed typo to Arial. But however, it solved the problem. Since the fonts in question are working on various systems in many applications, even in a famous layout program, it made no sense to me. The point, that PDF 1.7 does work and PDF X4 does not work with the same fonts is also hard to understand.   ;-)

Therefore I tested somewhat more and it seems clear for me, that Affinity Publisher does not accept the old Postscript (PS)-Fonts in it's documents. I tried various vendors of different fonts and the result is, that even high quality PS-fonts from Adobe don’t work. On the other hand TTF- or OTF-Fonts with incomplete character sets don’t make any problems in Publisher. Since the PS-Fonts are not damaged it just might be an incompatibility. The solution: buying a font converter that costs a lot more than publisher.   :-(

Again, thanks for your help and best wishes from Black forrest area

Karl

Karl, thank you for testing and the detailed feedback.

"...it was hard for me as a photographer and designer to switch all my well designed typo to Arial."

Arial was just meant for test and just one suggestion (because it is used as Default font by Affinity Publisher). A quick way to reset any formatting of selected text frames to Defaults is using the button in the main window tool bar. You also can define your own defaults, for a document and for the application as well.

"... Affinity Publisher does not accept the old Postscript (PS)-Fonts in it's documents."

Yes, that might be one reason. I can't recognize a system in this behavior – not ALL old postscript fonts seem to be affected.
However, it's weird because other apps don't have issues with these fonts.

Furthermore, in AfPub some fonts even do get exported as PDF/X-4 – but become (auto-)curved on export.
Others need to get curved before export to prevent the export error message.
For instance Adobe Univers, PS, 2003: The weight "Univers 55" prevents an export as X-4, whereas the "Univers 45 Light" can get exported but becomes curved then.

Hello Thomaso,

I just got the program "TransType 4" and converted some of my problem-fonts to TTF-format, installed them and exported the document from Publisher 1.7.1 to PDF-X4, and voilá it does work! It costs 97,- $ and is available at "www.fontlab.com". For the first 7 free trial days the program converts the fonts without limitations and no costs. It also creates fonts for web use. This makes it especially interesting for me and my homepages.  ;)

Karl

5 minutes ago, Karl H. said:

"TransType 4" and converted some of my problem-fonts to TTF-format,

There are quite a few online converters available, some of them for free.
But since the issues did not occur before AfPub and because Afpub seems to unexpected convert to curves some of those affected fonts: I'd rather say AfPublisher will learn to avoid such font issues in later patches. 9_9

… maybe you are right, but I am working/producing now with Publisher and a font converter gets me two birds with one shot. I also get the fonts for the web as I want them. What I like at TransType4 is the fact that it keeps or creates typographic families together. Not all tools do that.