You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just need some help. Using the selection brush tool I make part of a selection of an image that I want to copy and then paste so I can place it within the image but every time I paste I get the whole image and not the part I've selected. For example, if I have an image of a leg and shoe and I select just the shoe using the selection brush tool. If I copy and paste I still get the whole leg and not just the shoe. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Hi Russ155,

and welcome here … :)

Make sure to rasterise the image (Layer > Rasterise …) before attempting to copy just a part of it. Here is some more information on layers and copying selection contents in the Affinity apps:

Hope that helps. Should you have more questions, feel free to ask. :)

Alex

Ok, One other thing you could help me with please. How do you crop just a selection rather than the whole page? For example, I place an image within a picture. I want to crop it, but if I click crop, it selects the whole page. I can resize it to fit the image but if I hit crop then I lose the whole picture and just left with the image.

I'll let the experts chime in, but I think what you want is to create a shape (in this case a rectangle so it's like a crop). Make sure this rectangle shape layer is right above the image you want to crop (right above it in the layers panel). Right click on the shape layer and choose "Mask to Below". Now you can crop the image by editing the rectangle layer :).

Edited by vincentlepes
clarified

8 minutes ago, vincentlepes said:

P.S. - I believe you can also just drag the image inside the rectangle for the same effect.

For the same effect as ‘Mask to Below’ you need to drag the rectangle layer and and drop it on the thumbnail of the image layer. If you nest the image layer inside the rectangle layer, the image is clipped to the rectangle (with the surrounding parts of the rectangle remaining visible).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just now, Alfred said:

For the same effect as ‘Mask to Below’ you need to drag the rectangle layer and and drop it on the thumbnail of the image layer. If you nest the image layer inside the rectangle layer, the image is clipped to the rectangle (with the surrounding parts of the rectangle remaining visible).

Thanks for clarifying!