You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can someone tell me if it's possible to disable layer selection with the keyboard? If I'm already on the brush tool, and I select a layer mask to work on, and I hit the B key (muscle memory at this point), it now selects the next layer down that starts with "B" (usually background). This is really annoying because I will brush away at the background (wondering why nothing is happening) and have to undo all the brush strokes, select the mask layer again, and then do my brushing. And then two minutes later I'm adjusting exposure or something and I forget the brush tool is selected, click my mask layer, click B, and then it's back on the dang background again. It's SO frustrating.

I switch constantly between B and E in so many scenarios, so I require the shift modifier to cycle tools. It was even more annoying to have the tool cycle every time you switch back.

Is there a way to disable this behavior so my B key either selects the brush I last used or does nothing at all?

Vincent, I totally agree with you.  I turned in the issue: 

My read was that no one was too interested, apparently I was the only one to complain.  Glad to see others bring it up.  You should be able to turn off the Use ⇧ modifier to cycle tools in preferences to stop this issue, of course then there are other issues.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

49 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

You should be able to turn off the Use ⇧ modifier to cycle tools in preferences to stop this issue, of course then there are other issues.

Yeah, the old issue was even more annoying. B for brush, e for eraser, b for brush...no wait, now it’s smudge :7_sweat_smile:

• 4 weeks later...