You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

StudioLink inside Photo and Designer?

I just purchased Publisher for PC and StudioLink works amazingly good. I wonder - is it planned to have that sort of integration between just Designer and Photo? I have all 3 apps and I know I can go through menu to choose "edit in Photo" or "edit in Designer" but it would be crazy cool if we had that magic icons and could work between Photo and Designer the same way we can inside of Publisher. Is it planned at all?

In my opinion it's not the same necessary for the other apps.

When you are designing a book in publisher and you want to edit an image, you need instant access to photo-editing tools to get it done easy and fast. but when you do image editing, why do you need instant access to Publishing tools?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 2:18 PM, Glicky said:

In my opinion it's not the same necessary for the other apps.

When you are designing a book in publisher and you want to edit an image, you need instant access to photo-editing tools to get it done easy and fast. but when you do image editing, why do you need instant access to Publishing tools?

I couldn't disagree more with this..

You're right that as a graphics designer you don't need instant access to Publishing tools. However, it's very common for people who work with graphics to both have pixel and vector graphics in their art. I know that it's possible to jump between Photo and Designer via the file menu, but this takes time since the document have to close and re-open in the other app.

• Since the release of Publisher I open up all my Design/Photo documents in Publisher since that gives me access StudioLink all pixel and vector tools. (When opening in Publisher I of course choose not to convert artboards to spreads, since I want to keep the document as is).
  • After I'm done and want to export my different artboards and slices, I have to jump into Designer or Photo to do this, since the Export Persona is missing in Publisher.

I can understand that the ExportPersona is missing in Publisher, since you normally don't work with artboards/slices in here and therefore don't need the option be setup different export-settings per slice/artboard. But since we don't have the ExportPersona in Publisher I really think there's a strong argument to implement StudioLink to Photo and Designer.

Why give publishers better tools for working with mixed pixel/vector graphics than actual graphical artists? I really don't see the logic in this..

On 6/19/2019 at 9:32 PM, nezumi said:

I just purchased Publisher for PC and StudioLink works amazingly good. I wonder - is it planned to have that sort of integration between just Designer and Photo? I have all 3 apps and I know I can go through menu to choose "edit in Photo" or "edit in Designer" but it would be crazy cool if we had that magic icons and could work between Photo and Designer the same way we can inside of Publisher. Is it planned at all?

I came to request this feature as well, per their twitter accounts request.

I don't quite see why there's the edit in other app menu, and only publisher gets the juicy studio link. It even looks like, unless I am misunderstanding something, that it's already implemented in the two other apps, and only has to be enabled, I may be wrong here of course.

9 hours ago, Fixx said:

Many designers prefer to do flyers, leaflets etc in Designer instead of Publisher so it would make sense to have similar StudioLink from Designer to Photo.

If it worked like in Publisher, it would only allow users to use the tools & some (but not all) of the features of Photo's Photo Persona without having to launch Photo. It would also mean adding a complementary Designer Persona to Photo so users could go back & forth between those personas in either app.

Also like in Publisher, Affinity Designer would be maintaining a separate set of user settings applicable to its Photo Persona (including keyboard shortcuts & other preferences, Studio & Tools panel layouts, Toolbar customizations, Styles, Brushes, etc), which could be considerably different from those for the Photo app itself, & visa versa for Affinity Photo's Designer Persona.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 7/3/2019 at 12:53 AM, R C-R said:

If it worked like in Publisher, it would only allow users to use the tools & some (but not all) of the features of Photo's Photo Persona without having to launch Photo. It would also mean adding a complementary Designer Persona to Photo so users could go back & forth between those personas in either app.

Also like in Publisher, Affinity Designer would be maintaining a separate set of user settings applicable to its Photo Persona (including keyboard shortcuts & other preferences, Studio & Tools panel layouts, Toolbar customizations, Styles, Brushes, etc), which could be considerably different from those for the Photo app itself, & visa versa for Affinity Photo's Designer Persona.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here.
I didn't know there were tools missing when using the Photo or Designer StudioLink in Publisher. What are those tools you mean?

On your second point, isn't the idea of StudioLink to give the user all toolbars, shortcuts (and so on) for the individual modes you're using?

My understanding is that the StudioLink-function is exactly just that..
Or did I miss something? ..and if I did, where can I find more information about it :) 

25 minutes ago, samuellidstrom said:

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here.
I didn't know there were tools missing when using the Photo or Designer StudioLink in Publisher.

StudioLink is the marketing name for the two personas in Affinity Publisher (Designer & Photo) that provide the same tools as in the same named personas in the stand alone Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo applications (but only if those apps also are installed & they are all versions 1.7.1 or later).

Each app has its own set of preferences, user settings, etc. (because they are three separate apps). So for example, while both Designer & the Designer Persona have Assets, they are independent of one another, although they can be exported & imported between apps in the usual way.

Affinity Publisher's personas do not include anything that is not in the same named persona in the respective stand alone app, so for example no Liquify or Export persona in Affinity Publisher, & also not some of things unique to Affinity Photo like batch jobs, HDR & Focus merges, image stacking, & panorama stitching.

Affinity Publisher lacks support for any third party Photoshop plug-ins, including those the stand alone Affinity Photo does support. Support for Artboards is limited -- an .apub document can have either spreads (pages) or artboards but not both.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:08 PM, samuellidstrom said:

I know that it's possible to jump between Photo and Designer via the file menu, but this takes time since the document have to close and re-open in the other app.

Not ideal, but you can set up keyboard shortcuts for "open in …", and if you keep both apps open it cuts down the time it takes to swap between them.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

StudioLink is the marketing name for the two personas in Affinity Publisher (Designer & Photo) that provide the same tools as in the same named personas in the stand alone Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo applications (but only if those apps also are installed & they are all versions 1.7.1 or later).

I don't agree that StudioLink is the marketing name for the >>two personas in Affinity Publisher<<. The Affinity-team never says this feature is meant to stay limited to Publisher. Quotes they use to describe StudioLink are (just to mention a few):
(https://affinityspotlight.com/article/focus-on-studiolink/)

• "With the game-changing ability to fully integrate with other Affinity apps, the introduction of StudioLink in Affinity Publisher"
    • Here they only say that the StudioLink-feature first was introduced in Publisher. No that it's meant to remain unique to Publisher.

• "As you might have seen from our recent Affinity Live Keynote, the release of Affinity Publisher brings with it the release of StudioLink and the first realisation of this vision."
    • Here they hint about that this is just a first step of what they have planned for this feature.

• "Ever since the conception of Affinity our vision was to produce a creative suite of apps that work seamlessly together."
    • This statement in my opinion contradicts the idea that StudioLink only would be meant for Publisher.
    • If their vision is to produce a creative suit of apps that work seamlessly together and they limit StudioLink to Publisher, how much is that vision worth for someone who only own licenses for Designer and Photo?

2 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Not ideal, but you can set up keyboard shortcuts for "open in …", and if you keep both apps open it cuts down the time it takes to swap between them.

Sure it cuts down the time for executing the actual command. What I meant was that the actual time it takes for the document to close down and open can be long depending on size of document, if you have large baked in images in it and so on.

13 minutes ago, samuellidstrom said:

I don't agree that StudioLink is the marketing name for the >>two personas in Affinity Publisher<<. The Affinity-team never says this feature is meant to stay limited to Publisher.

I am only repeating what at least one of the staff said about the name in other topics. As for what or how it will be extended in the future, only time will tell.

Affinity Photo 

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am only repeating what at least one of the staff said about the name in other topics. As for what or how it will be extended in the future, only time will tell.

Ah, alright. Fair enough. :) 

Yeah, I guess only time will tell what will happen from here.
I really really hope we at least get a similar way for jumping between vector/pixel-editing without using Publisher though. :) 

1 minute ago, samuellidstrom said:

Yeah, I guess only time will tell what will happen from here.

For now all we have is statements from Serif like the one earlier in this very topic:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

For now all we have is statements from Serif like the one earlier in this very topic:

Ah, true. Sorry, I didn't notice that comment was made by a staffer before.

I guess we wait and see then. Hopefully (for me at least) the demand for a feature like this will become high enough for the developers to consider, if it's not already in their pipe-line (but in a secret and mysterious way for now, or something)  

On 6/30/2019 at 10:08 AM, samuellidstrom said:

Since the release of Publisher I open up all my Design/Photo documents in Publisher since that gives me access StudioLink all pixel and vector tools. (When opening in Publisher I of course choose not to convert artboards to spreads, since I want to keep the document as is).

Does this workflow seem efficient for you?  I've been thinking about doing this but didn't want to hit any issues once I got started.

Ryan.

14 hours ago, gr8rck said:

Does this workflow seem efficient for you?  I've been thinking about doing this but didn't want to hit any issues once I got started.

Ryan.

It works as you would expect at least and I haven't run into any unexpected issues.

However, the workflow isn't optimal since I still have to jump between Publisher (when editing images) and Designer/Photo when I want to export slices/artboards. But it's the best workflow I've come up with so far.

2 hours ago, samuellidstrom said:

when I want to export slices/artboards.

I can understand needing to Edit in Designer or Photo when exporting slices. Bu I don't understand the comment about needing that when exporting Artboards. Can you clarify that, please?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 7/5/2019 at 2:09 PM, walt.farrell said:

I can understand needing to Edit in Designer or Photo when exporting slices. Bu I don't understand the comment about needing that when exporting Artboards. Can you clarify that, please?

Sure :)

• Say I have a document with art I've prepared for a web page. It's everything from header images, icons, slider images, thumbnails and everything you can think of (containing both vector and pixel art)

• I use Artboards most of the time for larger images, such as headers, slider images and backgrounds, since these are listed by default in the ExportPersona. For smaller assets like icons logotypes and similar I like to group into "category"-artboards to keep it organized and easy to find. Setting these up for export I need an extra step however, which is creating slices.

• The reason I need ExportPersona for Artboards specifically is that depending on sizes and what I want to use these images for I want to be able to setup different export for each separate artboard. (Different compression depending on how much in focus they'll be on the web page and such)

• The more general reason for needing ExportPersona (while working with artboards) is that I can export all graphics I've prepared for a whole web page, including images (jpg, png) as well as logos, icons (svg) in one go.

See very sloppy image for example setup :P

EXAMPLE.png