You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

:4_joy:

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Maybe I'm wrong on this one, but I guess it was done in DrawPlus, the same way they made the Workbooks on PagePlus.

Best regards!

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

It take less than a minute to do thing like this...

Tutorial, please!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It is not the same effect at all, ha ha.

But ouch, take at look at the Vision Quest in post number 1. Its not very well done. It looks like a software box from the Amiga in the 80's back when software was simple. I thought it was from the history books! Perhaps that was also done by hand in Designer, that would explain a lot. Its crude and painfully simple. 

You can do a lot by hand. I once knew a few guys and dolls who made the table of contents manually in Word. Complexity or changes was not their friend. I didn't follow them or their lifestyle. Do it manually is only great if your time has no value.

Designer should one day be able to do what you see in the video - if you ever get a blend tool in Designer. You can do a lot of it in Serif DrawPlus though. Cheap and STILL available. Or Xara. The blend tool can be adjusted as you go. You can adjust curve, it can blend from one color to another and you can adjust the steps. The tool is not there for this kind of childrens play - it is handy in hundreds of more serious workflows. That is why some in here would like it in Designer.

Professionals have it. Elsewhere.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

2 hours ago, PedroOfOz said:

This blend was done in DrawPlus.

Nicely done, Peter. It’s quite fun trying (and failing!) to work out what your start and end shapes were.

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, PedroOfOz said:

Random pen tool drawn lines and (open) shapes ;)

LOL. That isn’t quite what I meant (but I suspect you knew that)!

Alfred spacer.png

If I want to generate some shapes then I use code (e.g. Python or Processing) and let it generate some SVG to import into Affinity. Not that hard. Especially for such kind of abstract shapes stuff. Sticking to one tool for every task is just limiting. Use the right tool for the right job and have many tools at hand.

Anyway…

I didn't know this handle stuff… found out how to use it in the Desktop version too. Learned something new! That's what counts. And here's the end result of my messing around with that stuff for 10 minutes in post afterwards (by the way: used 2 additional tools here, and only 1 is by Serif ;) ) 

quicktest.jpg

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot

On 7/28/2019 at 11:29 AM, ErrkaPetti said:

@Jowday why are you even here in the first place? You don’t like Serifs program, the are always extremely inferior to Adobe CC... 

I am here because I use Designer for brainstorming and some shapes. I like the pen tool and like adding pixel brushes to some work. It is fast and fun. Affinity does have potential. It also has many many shortcomings pointed out here by many other customers. I will continue to cast light on these shortcomings

But unlike you I dont exhibit fanboy behavior. I am a critic by heart. If Serif wants to live up to their own “jawdropping” marketing levels it is time to deliver some features in Designer. The original poster probably would love a blend tool, right. Why teach the poor guy how to make it with the wrong tool. Tell the truth.

And just to make it clear. I check out all software titles there is be that InDesign, Scribus, Quark, Framemaker etc etc etc. You better get used to me here.

Five million people see my work every quarter, yes. I have used Illustrator, CorelDraw, Inkscape, Photoshop and even DrawPlus for just the illustrations. I have used many camera brands and models too. I substituted expensive tools with cheap tools many times. I am not just reaching for the top shelf. I probably should.

Designer, though, can’t join the party yet due to limitations in the feature set.

On 7/28/2019 at 2:52 PM, Mithferion said:

I believe being here in the Forums is a hobby for Jowday, at this point

Nope. I do use Designer a little. I like variety. I don’t like incomplete tools and inflated marketing though so as a paying customer I leave my feedback here too.

It is all part of “the feedback loop” that I personally learned to love many years ago. Even when the messages were rude or harsh. Because people could be right nonetheless. And there was the key to progress. I learned very little from fanboys and likes.