You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can anyone tell me why since my last update that when I open either Photo or the new Publisher the welcome screen is black with just the Affinity logo where the News and Updates should be? The video square and samples square function perfectly I just miss the news and update information. This is on the windows 10 desktop versions.

• Staff

Hi MAR,

Very odd, as they should be there.  Checking my Windows 10 PC i can see these

It's possible you firewall could be blocking Affinity from being able to get the Welcome Screen feed, so would be worth checking that first.

Interesting…

It seems I had done all my Publisher beta participation on my home iMac.  So when I installed the newly released version on my office computer this morning, it would appear to have been a clean, first-time install.  And mine also showed the panel with nothing but the dark grey-on-grey logo.  MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6).  It's possible I had installed it at work briefly and then removed it, but I don't think that was the case.  Both Photo and Designer 1.7.1 (Mac App Store) were installed and worked fine, showing the multiple panels.

I've not yet tried it at home, where I'm going to delete as many beta remnants as I can first before installing Publisher.  But that might not happen until later on or even tomorrow now.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.1.1 release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

At home, where I had definitely been working with the beta (although not recently), the Welcome screen worked fine - so that's the opposite of you.  Having said that, there were no sliding panels, the way there are with Designer and Photo: there was just a single static panel.

—— Gary ——

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

I believe that the static / sliding panels are retrieved from the web at runtime, and there was a period yesterday when I saw just the black pane with the Affinity logo.

I think this was because the discount offers had been withdrawn, and not yet replaced.

Today I see a static get your 5 free fonts panel.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

2 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

I believe that the static / sliding panels are retrieved from the web at runtime, and there was a period yesterday when I saw just the black pane with the Affinity logo.

I think this was because the discount offers had been withdrawn, and not yet replaced.

Today I see a static get your 5 free fonts panel.

I reckon you're right about the initial runtime pull.  One of the network connections listed by Little Snitch has a name that very strongly supports this.

And your idea that Thursday was just a transitional day sounds perfectly reasonable to me.  Thanks!

—— Gary ——

• 4 weeks later...

I still have just the grey logo on my start up panel and am no wiser as how to fix it.  Everything else is working perfectly so it doesn't hinder anything I want to do. It is just annoying and I used to like seeing any news etc on start up.

You wouldn't by any chance have a firewall running, in which a rule might have been set that's blocking the content from coming down?

—— Gary ——