You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher looks great — but I can’t find [foot|end] notes!

Affinity Publisher looks truly excellent — but I can’t see how to add either footnotes or endnotes. Where have you hidden them?

[There’s a small bit of my brain that’s telling me that you haven’t implemented either yet, but I can’t believe that. Of what possible use would this beautiful new app be without such a basic functionality? I think it’s more likely that you’ve hidden them somewhere or that you’re calling them something else and that I just haven’t found them yet. Please tell me that’s right....]

5 minutes ago, erikmh said:

That’s both really surprising and tremendously disappointing

Actually, no. This is a DTP software which means u can create documents with much more thorough control over it. This means technically you can create foot/end notes with more control over them by following this instructions. 

Create a Master Page > enter your graphical elements on footnote and endnote area > apply the master page to all (or wanted) pages.

changeable elements such as pages, date, etc can be accessed through text/edit/file menus and putting them on master pages will automatically adjusts them in every page  

Thanks for responding, @Aaron Martin!

Create a Master Page > enter your graphical elements on footnote and endnote area > apply the master page to all (or wanted) pages.

I’ve been using DTP software since 1988; I’m not sure what you’re trying to tell me here, though. Could you clarify?

changeable elements such as pages, date, etc can be accessed through text/edit/file menus and putting them on master pages will automatically adjusts them in every page  

Right, of course. How is this relevant to footnotes?

On 6/20/2019 at 3:36 AM, Pebowski said:

I think, he describes Footer, not Footnotes. ;-)

That is correct, @erikmh sorry for the misunderstanding, english is not my main tongue. You are right. Publisher does not have footnote yet. I also agree with you that it should. 

9 minutes ago, Aaron Martin said:

That is correct, @erikmh sorry for the misunderstanding, english is not my main tongue. You are right. Publisher does not have footnote yet. I also agree with you that it should. 

That’s quite all right, @Aaron Martin. I wish I could communicate in a second or third language as well as you do in English!

• 1 month later...

As a (french) book designer/publisher, I can't understand how footnotes, end notes, thin spaces or GREP styles are not supported as of now... The app looks fantastic, but if I can't import a text with footnotes... then I basically can't work! Our last book had over 600 footnotes, inserting them by hand just isn't an option. Affinity please fix this! Really wanted to give you guys a chance

You can‘t understand, why footnotes aren‘t supported yet? But you would understand, that every important feature of every other publishing app, would be part of an initial version of a new application? This is something, what I, personally, wouldn‘t understand at all …

Besides this: A missing feature isn‘t a bug. And you are posting in the bug reports forum. If you have a look into the „Feature Request“ forum, you will see, that foot/endnotes are requested very often. So, just wait, time will come …

1 hour ago, JDB said:

I can't understand how footnotes, end notes, thin spaces or GREP styles are not supported as of now

I also do publications in French, but your mention of thin spaces not being supported confuses me. I have been using them extensively, as is indeed necessary with several French punctuation marks. In what way do you find that they are not supported? Maybe I have overlooked something, or maybe we can help you find something you have overlooked.