You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Okay, a wonderful collection of 'stage #2' help videos. What would be even more wonderful would be some videos showing the BASICS of getting started...for example, how to type even one character into a new page.......I've given up trying to figure that out. 

You need to use one of the text tools for that (and a keyboard).

The Artistic Text tool is used when you are creating one line of text that should be handled "artistically" - if you are going to put it on a path, need to warp its shape later on, etc... or if you want to scale it based on its placement around other objects, perhaps, rather than in a more traditional typography type of role.  With this tool, click where you want the text to start, or drag out the first letter to set the size of the text, then start typing.

The Frame Text tool is used when you are creating a larger block of text; with this tool, drag out a box to indicate where the text should go then start typing into it.

5 minutes ago, AKAMERA said:

Thanks, nice 'stage #2' response. How about if I just want to do a "basic" letter to Amazon asking why my keyboard has not yet been delivered? ;) 

What app do you use?

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

4 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

I ment designer, photo or publisher :)

I'm refering to text in Publisher. I've managed to chose an area (no default champ before having to choose?) to apply text. I can now find no option to enlarge my font size. Which brings me back to my inital comment, these "basics" should be detailed somewhere so one does not have to waste hours fiddling about to figure them out.

3 minutes ago, Friksel said:

Are you sure you're on the right forum? It seems like you're asking a question about MS Word here?! ;)

4 minutes ago, Friksel said:

Are you sure you're on the right forum? It seems like you're asking a question about MS Word here?! ;)

I'm certain. :) 

5 minutes ago, AKAMERA said:

I can now find no option to enlarge my font size.

On the context toolbar, just below the main toolbar... or in the Character studio panel, accessible from the View -> Studio menu if its tab is not already showing in your studio.

On 6/19/2019 at 7:22 PM, AKAMERA said:

I'm certain. :) 

Here you'll find a lot of official tutorial videos:

https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/publisher/desktop/

For example this one about the frame text tool: https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/337299876
Thisone about Simple text: https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/337299232
Linked text frames: https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/337302558

and so on

Thanks gentlemen, I'm slowly figuring it (Affinity Publisher! #cough) out. My point being, and I repeat, these 'simplistic' details should be detailed for those of us only just beginning to use the program, warping neon text is lovely...but one has to know how to first apply that text as starting point! Thanks again, as Gloria Gaynor said "I will survive..."!

7 minutes ago, AKAMERA said:

Thanks gentlemen, I'm slowly figuring it (Affinity Publisher! #cough) out. My point being, and I repeat, these 'simplistic' details should be detailed for those of us only just beginning to use the program, warping neon text is lovely...but one has to know how to first apply that text as starting point! Thanks again, as Gloria Gaynor said "I will survive..."!

These are tools made with professionals in mind. They are no beginners and know what to search for and are used to a certain workflow other market leaders already have (and a lot of professionals learned at school or at work for example). Otherwise they would have used stuff like ms word or paint (no offense) and wouldn't start in a DTP tool like Publisher. The fact that the price of Affinity products is low is great, but it's still a product range with professionals in mind.

That said; I'm not sure what you're missing in the official tutorial-videos. I think they are very well produced and contain a lot of great info to get you started.

2 minutes ago, Friksel said:

...They are no beginners and know what to search...

Everyone is a beginner at some point. When at school there weren't PC or Amiga or Mac for student, we had to learn buying books (it was the beginning, they described all the menus and features without being Bibles, easy to buy and read for the 3 mains apps: QXP, Photoshop & Illustrator).

And when we can have a computer and those apps, and better, someone that can give advices, it was better.

It's the same today, but there's Internet, forums, video, etc. to learn. It should be easier. But we need to spend time reading documentations if we want to learn a new app.

5 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Everyone is a beginner at some point. When at school there weren't PC or Amiga or Mac for student, we had to learn buying books (it was the beginning, they described all the menus and features without being Bibles, easy to buy and read for the 3 mains apps: QXP, Photoshop & Illustrator).

And when we can have a computer and those apps, and better, someone that can give advices, it was better.

It's the same today, but there's Internet, forums, video, etc. to learn. It should be easier. But we need to spend time reading documentations if we want to learn a new app.

Yeah, but the difference here is: Serif created 47 free videos and a complete interactive help for Affinity Publisher alone. Also there are already a lot of youtube videos out there by '3rd parties'. All even available far before the launch of softwareversion 1. I think that's pretty great and I am surprised to see a dislike on the way Affinity explains the software, because they are doing a very great job I think. I'm also sure there will be a Publisher-book out soon. But in reality using software is not only reading a manual; it's also (intuitively) look for things, google stuff you need and practise practise practise.

8 minutes ago, Friksel said:

These are tools made with professionals in mind. They are no beginners and know what to search for and are used to a certain workflow other market leaders already have (and a lot of professionals learned at school or at work for example). Otherwise they would have used stuff like ms word or paint (no offense).

That said; I'm not sure what you're missing in the official tutorial-videos. I think they are very well produced and contain a lot of great info to get you started.

There is no footnote in the purchase pricing regarding 'Professional Use'. If persons wish to limit their creative futures to MS Word or Paint they have that option, I chose to purchase Affinity Photo and Publisher to extend my (never gratitutiously offended) horizions. 

Regarding the AP official tutorial-videos; I last year purchased Phase One's Capture One 12 for photo editing. I had previously not used any software for photo editing. Capture one is reputed to present a steep learning curve, I am now more than competent in using it, grace to learning tools provided by CO, tools which also cover the VERY basics (what are missing in the AP official tutorial-videos) for none "professionals" wishing to use the software. Serf's softwares may be made with "professionals" in mind, however, it is hardly likely that Serf intendeds to limit its market to only "professionals". 

Let's set aside the "professional" term.  Earlier, you asked where the help files were.  Windows navigation is pretty universal, when you want help you go to the top bar of the window and click on the word "Help".  If that's a new concept to you, maybe your local community college offers continuing education courses that would introduce you to elementary Windows concepts.

• Staff

@AKAMERA

That is not allowed in these forums I have hidden your ranty post. Please take a breather and come back calmer, thank you.

@Michael Andreas this user does not want your assistance (and expressed it in unacceptable terms now hidden) I suggest you do not participate further with this thread, thank you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

50 minutes ago, AKAMERA said:

Done with playing nice and done here! This is not an invitation to further commentary. #always1ah 

It has been a long and exciting day for many of us, and no doubt tempers are flaring and people are becoming a bit short.   Here is what I hope is an extremely basic few steps to get you started, at least for your letter to Amazon.

Open Publisher, and choose from the very top horizontal menu FILE and under that NEW.  You will then be given a menu of options including the size you want your document to be, the measurement (i.e. inches, pixels, picas, etc.) whether you want it to be facing pages or single pages, the number of pages you want, and whether you want it to be portrait or landscape configuration.  You can also set margins, if you wish.  When you click on OK, you will get a blank white page on your desktop.  If you want to have a text ruler (which is often handy) you then go up to the top horizontal menu to VIEW, and be sure that Show Text Ruler has a check mark beside it.  If not, click on that.  To write your letter, you then choose the Frame Text Tool which is the little icon in the vertical group over on the left of your screen which shows as a square with the letter T inside it.  With that tool selected, you then click on your blank white page, and draw a rectangle across and down the page.   When you release the tool, you will have a rectangle outlined with a thin blue line and the text ruler above it.   Still with the Frame Text Tool selected, you can then go up to the context toolbar, which is just under the three colored icons for Publisher, Designer, and Photo, and you will probably see a box with "Arial" in it.   You can click on the downward arrow in that box, and you will reach the list of your fonts in your computer.   You can adjust the type size and weight (regular, italics, etc.) there too.   As soon as you have chosen the font you wish to use, just start typing in the box.   If you have more to say than will fit into the original box, you can enlarge it by dragging the various blue dots around the edge of the box.   I know you will figure that out really fast. 

We don't all learn in the same way.   And we can all become professionals at something or other -- given enough time.   I hope you may find this helpful.   And reach Amazon!!!!

274176729_ScreenShot2019-06-19at5_13_11PM.thumb.png.8c08ce3233028d4e7c4bcd3e63812003.png

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9