You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Anyone knows if this Studio Link works across Affinity Store vs. Apple Store releases? I have Designer and Photo via the Apple Store, and Publisher via the Affinity Store. When I try to switch personas in Publisher a StudioLink window opens asking me to install/launch the two other apps and offering "Buy" buttons. Launching the two other apps doesn't help. I also tried it in various orders, etc., of course. 

/edit

Oh... wait. Seems there are unexpectedly new updates for Designer and Photo (didn't I just update a few days ago? ;) ).

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot

10 minutes ago, tokai said:

Anyone knows if this Studio Link works across Affinity Store vs. Apple Store releases? I have Designer and Photo via the Apple Store, and Publisher via the Affinity Store. When I try to switch personas in Publisher a StudioLink window opens asking me to install/launch the two other apps and offering "Buy" buttons. Launching the two other apps doesn't help. I also tried it in various orders, etc., of course. 

/edit

Oh... wait. Seems there are unexpectedly new updates for Designer and Photo (didn't I just update a few days ago? ;) ).

Try opening and closing Designer and Photo and than restart Publisher. I believe these programs write something to disc on CLOSE for Publisher to know they are there. I had it too with Photo, but after closing Photo and restarting Publisher Publisher had the Photo persona too.

8 minutes ago, Friksel said:

Try opening and closing Designer and Photo and than restart Publisher. I believe these programs write something to disc on CLOSE for Publisher to know they are there. I had it too with Photo, but after closing Photo and restarting Publisher Publisher had the Photo persona too.

If you're able to link cross-platform, maybe I should buy Publisher on Mac as well some other month? Already bought it on Windows, but I have a Macbook Air that I can bring with me when I am not at home. So if I was able to buy Publisher and still get access to my Windows versions of Photo and Designer to open all the Personas, then that would actually be great value for me.

8 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

If you're able to link cross-platform, maybe I should buy Publisher on Mac as well some other month? Already bought it on Windows, but I have a Macbook Air that I can bring with me when I am not at home. So if I was able to buy Publisher and still get access to my Windows versions of Photo and Designer to open all the Personas, then that would actually be great value for me.

You should watch the keynote to understand the StudioLink: it's actually pretty unique. You open the three software-programs in the same interface! So you don't need to switch programs or save your file first. Even the zoom level of your document stays the same while switching to the Photo or Designer persona, which is infact the same base interface, but with all settings, panels, menus and tools like in the Photo or Designer application.

So you can use the three programs on the platform of your choice, but if you switch from platform to platform you don't use 'StudioLink'. It's not like working in Illustrator, copy a file to Photoshop or whatever, in Publisher you in fact work in the same file in all three applications without even need to save or export/import or whatever and don't even need to open up Photo nor Designer when in Publisher! Everything happens in just one place! :)   Just buy it on Mac as well to have all three programs on the same machine. You won't regret it. This workflow is such a timesaver it will pay that 50 euros back in an hour.

18 minutes ago, Friksel said:

Updating solved the issue for me. <insert a "thumbs up" emoji here>

That StudioLink window maybe could have been more verbose about the actual problem ("Affinity Photo/Designer not up-to-date" as message rather than offering "Buy" buttons and stuff. :D ) (suggestion @ affinity team)

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot

5 minutes ago, Friksel said:

You should watch the keynote to understand the StudioLink: it's actually pretty unique. You open the three software-programs in the same interface! So you don't need to switch programs or save your file first. Even the zoom level of your document stays the same while switching to the Photo or Designer persona, which is infact the same base interface, but with all settings, panels, menus and tools like in the Photo or Designer application.

So you can use the three programs on the platform of your choice, but if you switch from platform to platform you don't use 'StudioLink'. It's not like working in Illustrator, copy a file to Photoshop or whatever, in Publisher you in fact work in the same file in all three applications without even need to save or export/import or whatever and don't even need to open up Photo nor Designer when in Publisher! Everything happens in just one place! :)   Just buy it on Mac as well to have all three programs on the same machine. You won't regret it. This workflow is such a timesaver it will pay that 50 euros back in an hour. 

Wait, you mean that StudioLink is a completely separate software that has all the programs in one package? For 50 Euros that sounds amazing. Do you have a link so I can check it out?

7 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Wait, you mean that StudioLink is a completely separate software that has all the programs in one package?

No, it is just the technology built into the individual apps that allows Publisher to act like a 'front end' for the other two.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Wait, you mean that StudioLink is a completely separate software that has all the programs in one package? For 50 Euros that sounds amazing. Do you have a link so I can check it out?

Yes, it's called Publisher. 

Just now, R C-R said:

No, it is just the technology built into the individual apps that allows Publisher to act like a 'front end' for the other two.

Thanks, I was looking for an easy way to describe it. Well said. Great way to put it in one line.

1 hour ago, dcrosby said:

My permissions problems were solved by limiting the number of fonts open at one time. Maybe that would work for you too.

You beautiful genius!!! That worked!! I deactivated the hundreds of fonts that I have activate and then reactivated the handful that I actually use and I can now save things in affinity and office. Man I had that issue for so darn long, and tried so many things. I thought the only way I was gonna fix it was with a new laptop :)

Thank you so much!

Dave 

Link is a fantastic idea.
I am sorry to report a problem immediately, but it does not work for me. I have both Photo and Designer on my computer, but I receive the attached message. Could it be because Photo and Designer were bought on the mac app store, while Publisher was bought on the Affinity store?

Schermata 2019-06-19 alle 23.25.05.png

Many forum members seemed to have the same problem, padura. You may want to try the following:

• Make sure to update Photo and Designer to the latest versions (1.7.1) from the Mac App Store
  • Close Publisher
  • Run Photo and Designer at least once
  • Launch Publisher again

Does that work? :)

2 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Many forum members seemed to have the same problem, padura. You may want to try the following:

• Make sure to update Photo and Designer to the latest versions (1.7.1) from the Mac App Store
  • Close Publisher
  • Run Photo and Designer at least once
  • Launch Publisher again

Does that work? :)

it's all updated to 1.7, and I've tried to close and reopen everything more than once. 

• Staff
1 minute ago, padura said:

it's all updated to 1.7, and I've tried to close and reopen everything more than once. 

1.7.0 is not 1.7.1 (released on Monday) please check that you have the latest ones from the Mac App Store

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...

Studiolink is impressive. Are all of the AP/AD features available in APub? 

Is something like this planned for those of us who have no need for APub, so we can access AD features from within AP? 

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

3 hours ago, haakoo said:

No and No

That's sad, but if all the features aren't available then it wouldn't be fully useful to me anyway. I wish they'd do a real studio - not everyone needs publishing features, but I'd love to have all of the AP and AD features in one UI. 

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub