You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher (1.7) Launch Announcement

11 minutes ago, TomM1 said:

Help>Welcome.

The sign I need is just "Help Welcomed"

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hey Serif, what are you doing?? :D

I'm a ambitious and passionated photographer, switched to Serif because of Affinity Photo. I'm not a graphic designer or DTP artist, but purchased in the beginning just out of curiosity Designer and now Publisher, and what shall I say? It's really fantastic, easy to use, a joy to work with these apps and expand my creativity around photography!

Really, really well done of all of you and thank you very much for that!! :)

Kudos to the team!

While DTP is fairly tangential to my work, I simply had to purchase Publisher, and with the very pleasant surprise of Studiolink, I'm very happy that I did. And I have a lecture that I'm giving soon and so Publisher should prove very useful in putting together class material.

Studiolink is a revelation!

I'm impressed with the direction that Serif is taking and the recent updates. The packages have progressed in leaps and bounds with the recent updates and I've now almost completely transitioned to AP for my illustration/concept work. It' adjusting to the workflow but the Brush tool with the Sub brushes is where for the improvements have been most meaningful.

I'm glad that you're persisting with the perpetual licensing arrangement. It's a huge factor for why I was seeking out an alternative to Adobe in the first place. To this end, I'd be happy to pay say, 50 percent of the purchase price for major updates (say from 2 to 3 when that comes about).

Congratulations guys! You deserve the success for your considerable efforts. I'm spreading the work where I can.

www.grantregan.com // burning sky / art of grant regan - art direction // concepts // matte-painting // illustration

Lenovo e570p - i7 7700hq / Win10 pro / 32Gb 2400mhz RAM / NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti / Wacom Cintiq 13HD & Huion Kamvas 16 Pro

9 hours ago, Gerry Fraiberg said:

The spelling "colour" is a British thing. We spell it the same way here in Canada :-)

And Australia and New Zealand for that matter. The US is the exception to the rule.

www.grantregan.com // burning sky / art of grant regan - art direction // concepts // matte-painting // illustration

Lenovo e570p - i7 7700hq / Win10 pro / 32Gb 2400mhz RAM / NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti / Wacom Cintiq 13HD & Huion Kamvas 16 Pro

Massive congratulations to the Publisher team. Also found great advances in the release version compared to the last beta I worked with. And StudioLink is going to be a dramatic workflow game changer. Just great. Have recommended Publisher to a client and to a colleague. On to 3 million! 

Congratulations and thank you guys for all your hard work. I have been using ADesigner and APhoto since 2016 and have always been amazed by the ease of use and performance of both programs.
I've been using and testing the APublisher beta since you made it publicly available and bought it instantly after the release. Tracking the beta phase was like watching a child growing up.:10_wink:

It's a great piece of software. I never get tired of recommending your products to friends and colleagues because I think you're doing it right. Both from the quality perspective and from the perspective of the business model.

Keep up the good work:12_slight_smile:

1 hour ago, Asha said:

I don’t do much DTP anymore, but buying and supporting Serif is a no brainer! I got it yesterday, and couldn’t be happier for having a high quality program to complete the suite! Congrats and well done!

Yes, even if you dont do print layouts, its worth having Publisher for the way it has all the Personas within the same app. That alone kind of revolutionizes the way we all go about designing anything.

And the fact that you can open a Publisher document straight into Designer or Photo (On your iPad if you want) and then back into Publisher after that, is so damn cool, I cant stand it! :)

Wow! Game-changing!

On 6/19/2019 at 8:24 PM, ennerdale said:

Delighted to see Publisher here at last - and the integration of the three programs is awesome! BUT... it doesn't open InDesign files. For me, that's crucial, as I have hundreds of them that I re-use for new projects. Will this feature be added? Then at last we would have real competition for Adobe, and I could say goodbye to the very expensive Creative Suite subscription...

Richard

Try importing them from PDF (I hope you still have access to InDesign to export them...). I have given up on InDesign years ago and have not kept the .indd files.

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

16 minutes ago, NilsFinken said:

Try importing them from PDF (I hope you still have access to InDesign to export them...). I have given up on InDesign years ago and have not kept the .indd files.

The PDF import is amazingly good. Obviously you lose all the styles etc, but if your document / template isn’t too complex, you can get something up and running pretty quickly. If all you need to do are a few minor edits then it is generally fine. 

19 minutes ago, NilsFinken said:

I agree. It would be great if you could easily open an Indesign file and have it convert on the fly. I have used the PDF opening method. It sort of works. But the typography specifications do not travel well. It can be pretty tedious to fix the formatting once you are in Publisher. 

On 6/19/2019 at 2:00 PM, Friksel said:

I believe Adobe will be shocked too if they see this. Just think about it, they need to fully redesign and -develop their apps from the ground up to accomplish this.

It's actually unbelievable no other (graphics)software company thought of doing this before. They either chose to put everything in one package (which most of the time feels bloated and too big or just not right for the job) or keep everything seperated. This is really best of both worlds.

It is interesting to note here that someone posted about Publisher's release on the Adobe forums yesterday, and it was promptly removed by the moderators. Posts mentioning Affinity weren't removed up until the past six months, or so.

It is quite telling: Adobe is certainly not liking the new competition, even if Publisher still has some way to go before it will catch up in certain respects.

Anyway, I purchased Publisher this morning, and the Photo link is kinda genius. :-) It's come a long way since the first betas that I tested.

Saw the affinity live video and was promptly floored. I was feeling this during the beta, but now with the released version of Publisher it's not a feeling any longer -- this is the DTP app I've been waiting for years to use to letter an entire comic book/ graphic novel. I can use the Designer persona for creating word balloons and the Photo persona for adjusting the scanned artwork. So thanks to all the Devs and Testers that made this app what it is today!

Oh and... I'm in the US and I really think that "Colour" should remain spelled that way in ALL Affinity Apps, localization be damned! For me the "British English" spelling (although it's used in many other places) just adds to the ... ah... flavour ( ;) ) of Affinity apps. 

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

15 minutes ago, CartoonMike said:

I'm in the US and I really think that "Colour" should remain spelled that way in ALL Affinity Apps, localization be damned!

Or as some British English speakers might put it, “colour” should remain spelt that way in all Affinity apps, localisation be damned! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

Or as some British English speakers might put it, “colour” should remain spelt that way in all Affinity apps, localisation be damned! ;)

Being in Australia, colour = colour and localization = localisation, as for the spelled and spelt, we allow you to make up your own mind.

but nuff about that, we are now a few days in and I have all three affinity programs and am loving it, I love the studiolink and can't wait for the Publisher Workbook ( I will sacrifice my budget for the postage).

Absolutely fabulous job guys.

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

[slow clap] Well played, sir. Well played.

I actually spelt Localisation that way, but the frackin' spellcheck "corrected" me. As far as spelt goes, I didn't feel right to my grammar. And since she's such a nice lady, I went with what felt right. [shrug]

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

guys thanks for the keynote, totally surprised how well the Studio Link works. I was really not expecting it so freaking fast even here on windows.  Already working with it for a couple of days now, designing a Photo-book for friends and becoming more comfortable  to use Publisher at work also like Designer and Photo already. Hoping for an InDesign file support that would be next level. By the way I had zero crashes yet and due the Photo-book I switched quite a lot between the Apps. Totally game changer. 

Looking forward on what coming next.

| https://www.instagram.com/lutz.heidbrink https://500px.com/lutzheidbrink | https://www.eyeem.com/u/pixelcoder | https://society6.com/pixelcoder 
iPad Pro 10.5 - iOS 11.4.1 - Affinity Photo 1.6.7 - Affinity Designer 1.6.0.35 :11_blush: