You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Precise Clipping on ipad?

I recently purchased the ipad version of Designer to make vector based artwork on the go. I've had the desktop version for a little while now and really enjoy it. One change I had to make right away when I bought the desktop version was turning on "precise clipping" in the performance section. I have become so used to this setting that I honestly forgot I ever even had to turn it on until today.

Now that I'm attempting to work in Designer on my ipad I am running into thin lines appearing between layers that contain other objects. I will attach a picture below that should show a thin brown line appearing between the two layers as well as a screenshot showing how they are set up. Saving the file then downloading it to my desktop and opening it on my desktop version fixes this issue entirely so I can only assume "Precise Clipping" is to blame. Is this function not available on ipad? It seems rather silly to have to send myself my own file just to open it on my desktop as a workaround.

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Exported Image.png

Layer Screenshot.png

Looks like the boundary box is selecting the fill range rather than the rectangles outline. If you draw a rectangle and fill it with colour, then zoom in you will see that the selection box is actually aligned with the inside of the rectangles outline. If you change the outline colour to transparent the clipped circle will line up perfectly. Seems like a bug to me. See what the mods say though.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Unfortunately no outline is on any of the layers. They are all set to 0pt and No Stroke though I did go back and try setting the outline color to transparent but the line is still present. It's hair thin but still visible and only present when two dark colors overlap with one being bound inside of a different object.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi both,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

Precise clipping is just a display option. When you export, it will always export with "precise clipping", regardless of the tickbox being ticked or not. On the iPad, there is no tickbox, but when you export it should export with that option on by default. 

@DM1 I'm not entirely sure what you try to illustrate in that video. Sorry. You've clipped a circle inside that rectangle, which has got a stroke applied to it. The stroke has got the same colour as the fill, so the circle not clipping to the edge is expected, because of the stroke. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/19/2019 at 11:21 AM, Gabe said:

Hi both,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

Precise clipping is just a display option. When you export, it will always export with "precise clipping", regardless of the tickbox being ticked or not. On the iPad, there is no tickbox, but when you export it should export with that option on by default. 

@DM1 I'm not entirely sure what you try to illustrate in that video. Sorry. You've clipped a circle inside that rectangle, which has got a stroke applied to it. The stroke has got the same colour as the fill, so the circle not clipping to the edge is expected, because of the stroke. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Not sure if this thread is still active, but I've found this to be incorrect, at least on the current build 1.9.3. on ipadOS 14.4

See my video example of the unwanted hairline stroke (where all objects have no stroke enabled) which -does- export visually, via raster image. Considering this isn't discussed more often in these forums, I'm wondering if it's just a bug for a few of us, not everyone? Expected behavior?

Thanks!