Jon P

Copying over user data from Beta to Retail

Hi all,

Thanks for taking part in the Affinity Publisher Beta.

Now that we are launched, I thought it might be useful to give you all a quick rundown on how to transfer over content from Beta to Retail.

The "Faster" Way!

Affinity Store Publisher purchase:

1. Navigate to ~\Library\Application Support\
  2. Copy and Paste the Affinity Publisher Beta" folder
  3. Rename the copy "Affinity Publisher"
  4. This will essentially just move all the custom user data over to retail

Mac App Store Publisher purchase:
Please use the "Safer" Way steps

The "Safer" Way!

Assets

In Beta:

1.     View > Studio > Assets if not already enabled
  2.     Click the burger menu in the top right
  3.     Click "Export Assets"
  4.     Save the file

In Retail:

1.     View > Studio > Assets if not already enabled
  3.     Click "Import Assets"
  4.     Choose the file you exported earlier

Swatches

In Beta:

1.     View > Studio > Swatches if not already enabled
  2.     Select the palette you wish to export
  3.     Click the burger menu in the top right
  4.     Click "Export Palette"
  5.     Save the file

In Retail:

1.     View > Studio > Swatches if not already enabled
  3.     Click "Import Palette" > As document/application palette
  4.     Choose the file you exported earlier

Keyboard Shortcuts

In Beta:

1.     Edit > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts
  2.     Click Save
  3.     Save the file locally

In Retail:

1.     Edit > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts
  2.     Click Load
  3.     Choose the file you saved earlier

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

@ Jon P,   good to know, thank you.

My beta panel setting on two monitors goes mad with the retail version, regardless of your 'fast' or 'save' way.

– Isn't there also a way to save or transfer studio panel arrangements?

macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Thanks, I totally forgot about this before running the retail version. Simply copying the enclosing folders from the Beta didn't work. I had to delete the Publisher folder and duplicate the Publisher Beta folder, then remove Beta from the name.

It appeared to bring most of my settings over except the panel, window and toolbar settings are not quite right.

I  have 3 months of work on Beta , so keen to import to Retail if possible , all the files are grey.

I've followed your guide for " Faster" and nothing changed sadly . The Beta no longer appears so I can't try the " Safer"

I'd welcome any more help

I've tried the first stage again but  now the Retail thinks it's a Beta . I can open files once in Retail but when I click on a file in my folder it tells me Beta is no longer available and doesnt open. 

Was it really necessary to make the expiry date for the .399 beta so close to the actual release?

I received my pre-ordered license codes this morning at 8am. Tried to print something from the .399 beta today before I had the chance to make the switch to 'Retail', only to get a "Beta Expired" message, and at a time when I didn't have internet access to download etc.

4 hours ago, gascoyneone said:

I've tried the first stage again but  now the Retail thinks it's a Beta . I can open files once in Retail but when I click on a file in my folder it tells me Beta is no longer available and doesnt open. 

Could be that you're actually opening the beta version, so you should just move it to the trash. The icons are exactly the same so it's easy to mix up.

Thanks Jeremy I've been a bit cautious with the Beta since I don't want to lose it , maybe the only hope of getting back to my

130 pages of work ! The Retail is performing OK now  , only I need to recover my old Beta files.

1 minute ago, gascoyneone said:

130 pages of work ! The Retail is performing OK now  , only I need to recover my old Beta files.

Your .afpub files should be whereever you saved them before, and they should work with the retail version. Can you see them in Finder? If you try opening them what happens?

Can you tell Finder to open them using your newly installed version of Publisher?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

Thanks Walt. The files are on my desktop and backed up on icloud but both are whited out where there should be the Affinity Publisher yellow logo. When I click to open the message reads Thank you for using the Affinity Publisher public Beta the test has now expired.

gascoyneone, the file you are trying to open, click on it in Finder, and go File > Get Info. In the Get Info window, there's a section lower down that says "Open With". Make sure it's set to Affinity Publisher and not Affinity Publisher Beta. Once you've set it to NOT be the beta, click the Change All... button. This assumes that the retail version is downloaded and properly in the Applications folder. You should also trash the beta app as it will no longer work as you've seen.

4 hours ago, gascoyneone said:

I've been a bit cautious with the Beta since I don't want to lose it , maybe the only hope of getting back to my

There is no longer any use for the beta as this beta will never reopen. Therefore, you can delete the beta without loss or deficit.

macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

On 6/20/2019 at 9:27 PM, thomaso said:

There is no longer any use for the beta as this beta will never reopen.

But the data Jon refers to in the opening post is now accesible again from within the customer beta, available in the pinned post at the top of this forum

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

On 6/20/2019 at 9:33 AM, JSewell said:

Was it really necessary to make the expiry date for the .399 beta so close to the actual release?

I asked about that some months ago and was assured it would not happen.

[Sigh]

Using macOS 10.13.6,    Publisher 1.7.1.408,    and Publisher Beta 1.7.2.420.

On 6/20/2019 at 2:59 PM, Jeremy Bohn said:

This assumes that the retail version is downloaded and properly in the Applications folder.

Does it have to reside within the Applications folder?

I've never noticed any trouble with it located somewhere else.

On 6/19/2019 at 9:42 AM, Jon P said:

The "Faster" Way!

Affinity Store Publisher purchase:

1. Navigate to ~\Library\Application Support\
  2. Copy and Paste the Affinity Publisher Beta" folder
  3. Rename the copy "Affinity Publisher"
  4. This will essentially just move all the custom user data over to retail

1. Where by "move" do you mean "duplicate"?

2. And, per your instruction, if I leave the old "Affinity Publisher Beta" folder where it was, will it work seamlessly with future Betas?

3. To obviate the need for the above procedure, can't there be just the one "Affinity Publisher" folder that works with both Beta and Shipping versions?

Now, while carrying out the above procedure I noticed that in the "Application Support" folder I have what appear to be two copies of the "Affinity Photo" folder. One has settings files in it, including a licence file, but the other only has the (seemingly identical) licence file. So:

4. How did this happen?

5. Can I safely delete the folder that contains only the licence file?

Thanks much for any clues.

Jeremy Bohn, I went to "Get info" and under "Open with" I selected "Other" as the new APub was not an option.

It went to the Application folder, but APub was not in bold print and could not be selected. Affinity Photo was in bold print.

What do I try now?

Affinity choice.jpg

If APub is not an option and is greyed out in your screenshot, that suggests a problem with your file not being seen as an Affinity file.

What is the complete name of your file including the extension?

I just clicked ... Enable:  All Applications and APub appeared. Perhaps this will work.

No, it did not work after I clicked back on change all documents to open with the new APub.

Yes, I have been using the new Affinity Publisher.

Name & Extension just shows the name of the document.

I do have the Affinity Publisher beta installer, etc., saved on the hard drive.

Cleaning Mixture Document.jpg