You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, I've just used Affinity to manage/alter vector files. Now I'm ready to jump into drawing. I saw several Wacom tablet issues in the forum. What do you think of the Huion Kamvas or Huion Inspiroy Q11K? Most online forums suggest Wacom products, but . . . what do you suggest?

Budget is probably the controlling factor, I've used the XP-Pen Deco 03, the Artist 12 and I currently have the Artist 22e, I've found them all to be very competent products. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I use this one: https://www.huiontablet.com/inspiroy-q11k-v2.html - very good tablet, much more better than v1, . I recently bought a second one

Dell Precision T7910, 2x Xeon E5-2630v3, 128 GB RAM DDR4, Quadro K6000, Dell UP2716D, Huion Inspiroy Q11K V2 Pen Tablet, WIN 10 PRO
Dell Precision T3640, Xeon W1290, 128 GB RAM DDR4, Quadro RTX 5000, Eizo CG319X, Huion Inspiroy Q11K V2 Pen Tablet, WIN 10 PRO FWS
-----

Graphic software: Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher - Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat - Zoner Photo Studio - Topaz Gigapixel Ai, Denoise Ai, Sharpen Ai

6 hours ago, souacz said:

I use this one: https://www.huiontablet.com/inspiroy-q11k-v2.html - very good tablet, much more better than v1, . I recently bought a second one

I was just getting ready to make a new topic when I saw this thread. I was wondering how you felt about it's performance with Affinity. Have you also used the pen with a software other than Affinity? Do you see any differences in quality between apps? I assume you are not using any other pen within Affinity. What is it that you gained with the version 2? That's probably the most important question. I am waffling between the v1 and v2 pricing.

Yes, I also use this tablet with Photoshop, ArtRage and RAW developing apps (CaptureOne, Zoner Photo Studio, Lightroom). It works well with all apps. The only difference I noticed is that Affinity does not use the "Windows Ink" mode, while in Photoshop and ArtRage this function must be enabled in the tablet driver. It also seems to me that Photoshop is better prepared for working with a pen than Affinity Photo. In AP you need to do a bit with the brush settings to get good results

Before, I used Penragram tablet and Wacom Intuos but there were some problems with pen of Wacom and I I returned it to the store after a few repairs. I was simply unlucky because Wacom is generally a very good device, but this adventure has put me off the brand. 

There is a table comparing both versions of tablet on the site https://www.huiontablet.com/inspiroy-q11k-v2.html. Most important is Report Rate, Tilt function and Sensing Height in new pen. I could compare both versions because my colleague uses both tablets, the pen is simply much better in the newer version.

Dell Precision T7910, 2x Xeon E5-2630v3, 128 GB RAM DDR4, Quadro K6000, Dell UP2716D, Huion Inspiroy Q11K V2 Pen Tablet, WIN 10 PRO
Dell Precision T3640, Xeon W1290, 128 GB RAM DDR4, Quadro RTX 5000, Eizo CG319X, Huion Inspiroy Q11K V2 Pen Tablet, WIN 10 PRO FWS
-----

Graphic software: Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher - Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat - Zoner Photo Studio - Topaz Gigapixel Ai, Denoise Ai, Sharpen Ai

On 6/19/2019 at 7:04 AM, Elliecoo said:

Hello, I've just used Affinity to manage/alter vector files. Now I'm ready to jump into drawing. I saw several Wacom tablet issues in the forum. What do you think of the Huion Kamvas or Huion Inspiroy Q11K? Most online forums suggest Wacom products, but . . . what do you suggest?

I've got a Deco 03 that I like very much. No jitter on USB, wireless even at close range was jittery. Comfortable, responsive 8K stylus with an adjustable curve and 8 spare tips in a clever container that also holds the wireless adapter as well as the pen for travel. One end-cap is weighted and serves nicely as a stylus-holder. Works well in InkScape, PS CS6, ArtRage and GIMP. I'm not a professional by any means so there may be drawbacks I'm not aware of, but I'd buy it again without hesitation.

Tablet software is an important consideration. I had a Wacom I never got working correctly and returned. I had issues with my Deco 03 in several apps until some bright soul in support pointed me to the culprit - Windows Ink. If you have issues with your tablet, try disabling this 'feature'. Of course if you're on a Mac you won't have an issue.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

9 hours ago, souacz said:

Yes, I also use this tablet with Photoshop,  . . .  the pen is simply much better in the newer version.

Hmmm. Thanks for the basic review. I am now thinking I might wait until AP and AD determine their relationship with pens and pads. However, I'm so anxious to try a pen for the first time in my digital history that I don't know if I can wait. That said, as a new user to pen and pads I don't know if want to have to struggle even with minor incompatibilities or if I'm making something out of nothing relative to all your comments. I'll wait and see if any more interaction comes from the forum and maybe also what Affinity does with the subject matter. I do not know much about this entire digital art arena but it sure seems to me like Affinity is making a very strong run to conquer it's market share - if not the lead, period.

13 hours ago, casterle said:

Of course if you're on a Mac you won't have an issue.

I am on Mac and we may not have that issue but we have others.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 6/21/2019 at 12:55 AM, casterle said:

Do you find the tilt feature to 1) work well and 2) be useful?

Yes it does. Works well (but only when you DISABLE "windows Ink" mode in tablet driver), it's especially useful when I'm drawing in ArtRage. In the video you can see that it works (screen video from Expresii app to show tilt):

On 6/21/2019 at 1:02 AM, casterle said:

If you have issues with your tablet, try disabling this 'feature'

Where can I disable it in Windows 10?

-----

Over the last two years I've worked on four different Wacom Cintiq without any issues, so I feel that a recommendation is appropriate. Three of them were refurbished devices, all running PCs with Windows 10/ MacBook Pro with macOS Mojave and latest drivers. This is not anything against other brands, though :)

On 6/19/2019 at 10:18 AM, firstdefence said:

Budget is probably the controlling factor, I've used the XP-Pen Deco 03, the Artist 12 and I currently have the Artist 22e, I've found them all to be very competent products. 

Hi firstdefence.

It seems as though you might be leaning toward Artist products since you have two of them. Is that the case? Additionally, could you elaborate on the XP-Pen product line? I have seen that they are releasing a Deco Pro Medium on July 10th. It interests me and it seems to have a few people really liking it. Also if you had to pick one of the three pens you mentioned above which one would it be, and why? And finally, which one of the pens do you feel is performing the best in Affinity Photo/Designer, and why? AD and AF are the only apps I will be really using a pen; henceforth, that is why I'm trying to get some feedback on performance relative only to Affinity.

22 hours ago, Dekade said:

Hi firstdefence.

It seems as though you might be leaning toward Artist products since you have two of them. Is that the case? Additionally, could you elaborate on the XP-Pen product line? I have seen that they are releasing a Deco Pro Medium on July 10th. It interests me and it seems to have a few people really liking it. Also if you had to pick one of the three pens you mentioned above which one would it be, and why? And finally, which one of the pens do you feel is performing the best in Affinity Photo/Designer, and why? AD and AF are the only apps I will be really using a pen; henceforth, that is why I'm trying to get some feedback on performance relative only to Affinity.

Sorry about that firstdefence - I was on XP-Pen's website and just now noticed your products are XP's. Now I feel dumb. :/

23 hours ago, Jens Krebs said:

If I were to buy a tablet, I'd get an iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil.

I bought the first non-pro iPad that supports the first generation Apple Pencil & one of those pencils. Even though it is less powerful than the pro models, I can't complain about its performance, which particularly with the updated 1.7.x versions of Designer & Photo is remarkably good. Tilt support with the Pencil works very well, from what I can tell from comments from users of other tablets possibly better (or at least more reliably) than with other tablet brands.

The big downside with the iPad apps is file sharing with the desktop apps is far from as seamless as one might like. That is basically because of how iOS protects the file system, but hopefully iPadOS plus the Sidecar feature in macOS Catalina will help with that, at least for Mac desktop users.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 6/21/2019 at 6:56 AM, souacz said:

Where can I disable it in Windows 10?

If things are working properly I wouldn't change a thing.

If you want to disable it, Google is your friend. I'll warn you that MS has changed the Win 10 interface in this area more than once, so you'll have to find a solution that works on your system.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

I have a Wacom Intros 3 and they do not have driver for macOS Mojave.  I’m hoping new Catalina and IPad Pro Ana’s IPAD Pro IOS will do the job.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Because someone asked: the fastest way to toggle Windows Ink on and off is: Wacom Control Panel > Pen > Calibration. In the bottom left corner is a toggle. That is on latest Wacom drivers for Win 10. 

I noticed that Autodesk Sketchbook requires Ink, but for all other apps I found it safe to turn it off. Navigation in Windows Explorer is also easier without it.

15 hours ago, casterle said:

If things are working properly I wouldn't change a thing.

If you want to disable it, Google is your friend. I'll warn you that MS has changed the Win 10 interface in this area more than once, so you'll have to find a solution that works on your system.

I've done it in registry and in settings but with no results. But now, however, this does not bother me because Affinity does not use Windows Ink and in Photoshop and Artrage I managed to disable the use of Windows Ink. So now I have disabled this function in the Huion driver and it's OK.

-----