You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why older clients are forced to stay in Apple Store ?

Hello,

I am an older user of Affinity Designer & Photo so at that time I was forced to get the applications in Apple Store.

Now Serif distribute their products for Mac also in Serif Store, witch I would chose if I had that option when I initially bought both applications.

Now I make the Affinity Publisher pre-order in Affinity Store and have all the other applications AF and AD in MAS.

Why a user can not prove the payment of the products in MAS and Serif allow to move to a Serif store license version ?

I am not happy with this situation and I think a lot of users do prefer to get a product key.

I hope that Serif will find a way to make these clients happy.

MacBook Pro Retina 15" -  macOS High Sierra  version 10.14.4

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 & 1.71 + Affinity Photo1.6.7 & 1.7.1 + Affinity Publisher 1.71

• Staff

Hi Design T,

The Mac App Store is managed by Apple we don't know/have any info about customers who have bought our apps there - so there's no way for us to transfer the license between the two.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Have just received product key for Publisher which I have installed. I also have updated Affinity Photo and Designer which I originally purchased through Serif some time ago.  I have never had a product key for either of those and although they work fine  I cannot see them on my Affinity Account. I do have my  Serif order numbers for these if required. Will I require product keys for these two items if I update my iMac?

John Sinclair

9 minutes ago, jonnsin said:

Have just received product key for Publisher which I have installed. I also have updated Affinity Photo and Designer which I originally purchased through Serif some time ago.  I have never had a product key for either of those and although they work fine  I cannot see them on my Affinity Account. I do have my  Serif order numbers for these if required. Will I require product keys for these two items if I update my iMac?

If you purchased APh and AD through the Affinity Store then you must have had product keys for them. Have you changed your email address, or did you in fact order them through the Mac App Store? The Mac retail versions have only been available direct from Serif for a year or less.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

If you purchased APh and AD through the Affinity Store then you must have had product keys for them. Have you changed your email address, or did you in fact order them through the Mac App Store? The Mac retail versions have only been available direct from Serif for a year or less.

Both  AP and AD purchased from Affinity in December 2017.  I have not changed Email address since then. Both products have never shown up on my account and did not know that product keys existed until I got one with Publisher.

4 minutes ago, jonnsin said:

Both  AP and AD purchased from Affinity in December 2017.

In 2017 the Mac versions of Photo and Designer were only available to retail customers via the Mac App Store (MAS). Sign in to the MAS and look for the Affinity apps on the ‘Purchased’ tab.

MAS purchases are tied to your Apple ID, so no product keys are needed.

Alfred spacer.png

On 6/20/2019 at 11:24 AM, Alfred said:

Thanks for that Alfred. I was concerned that if I upgrade my Mac I would have had problems reinstalling AP and AD

The best way to get out of MAS is to wait until your Affinity apps reach version number 2.0, then you have to pay to upgrade the apps anyway. That's my plan.

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

22 hours ago, Alfred said:

Thanks Edwardson. Will keep that in mind.

On 6/20/2019 at 5:23 PM, edwardsson said:

The best way to get out of MAS is to wait until your Affinity apps reach version number 2.0, then you have to pay to upgrade the apps anyway. That's my plan.

It´s nice to see that I am not alone on moving out MAS.

MacBook Pro Retina 15" -  macOS High Sierra  version 10.14.4

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 & 1.71 + Affinity Photo1.6.7 & 1.7.1 + Affinity Publisher 1.71

On 6/20/2019 at 2:23 PM, edwardsson said:

Having bought all three applications within the last month I sure hop I don't have to pay to upgrade anytime soon.

7 hours ago, MarshallHarrison said:

Having bought all three applications within the last month I sure hop I don't have to pay to upgrade anytime soon.

It will probably take years (at least one or probably even two or maybe three) before we reach 2.0 (if we look at the current development speed). 

For me it’s not that important to reach 2.0 as soon as possible. I do not want them to adopt the insane version numbers of Firefox or Chrome. 

It’s better to take it rather slow, but do it proper instead. 

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

On 6/27/2019 at 8:36 AM, jstask said:

I hope there will be Update discounts.

Updates are free. Upgrades need to be paid for, but there is usually a discount offer for a short time after a new product is launched.

On 6/27/2019 at 8:36 AM, jstask said:

My suggestion is to activate the affinity-store version if an installed MAS version is found.

The Affinity Store version requires a product key for activation. The MAS version is tied to your Apple ID, so it doesn’t have a product key.

Alfred spacer.png

On 6/20/2019 at 8:23 PM, edwardsson said:

On 6/25/2019 at 7:24 PM, DesignT said:

It´s nice to see that I am not alone on moving out MAS.

Indeed.

Although for me the major point will not be getting out of the MAS, but rather directly supporting the people at Serif for imagining and building great software. The ideas and momentum behind this engagement deserve that kind of direct (financial) feedback.

Publisher was my first direct (paid) purchase from Serif, Photo 2 and Designer 2 will follow, iOS Versions if possible (is it?!).

Designer, Photo & Publisher on macOS – Designer & Photo on an iPad pro with Pencil

10 minutes ago, Stephen B said:

Indeed.

Although for me the major point will not be getting out of the MAS, but rather directly supporting the people at Serif for imagining and building great software. The ideas and momentum behind this engagement deserve that kind of direct (financial) feedback.

Publisher was my first direct (paid) purchase from Serif, Photo 2 and Designer 2 will follow, iOS Versions if possible (is it?!).

The main purpose of getting out of MAS is to letting the developers getting more of the money and Apple getting less. 

Unfortunately, I do not think iOS versions are available from outside the AppStore.

I\ve bought both the Affinity Designer and now the Affinity Publisher directly from the Affinity Store, but during the time I bought the Affinity Photo, it was not possible to buy through their store.

The news that Jonathan Ive have decided to leave Apple, is a bad sign for the future of Apple. Tim Cook is probably the worst thing that has happened to Apple and its customers in years.

Congrats! Need to wait that long, until Apple bashing is imported into this forum! Now a newbie does the job, to start converting this friendly, product centered forum into a forum like thousands others …

Now after I finally was taught, that Tim Cook is „probably the worst thing …“, I can die in peace … 

6 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

Congrats! Need to wait that long, until Apple bashing is imported into this forum! Now a newbie does the job, to start converting this friendly, product centered forum into a forum like thousands others …

Now after I finally was taught, that Tim Cook is „probably the worst thing …“, I can die in peace … 

It was not my intention to import any Apple bashing into this forum. It was probably an unnecessary comment I wrote, even if I believe that every word I wrote is true. 

I maybe a newbie regarding some of the Affinity apps, but I am definitely not a newbie regarding Apple and their products. I have been using their product for nearly 30 years now, ever since I bought my first SE/30. 

I hope you will continue to live in peace. It's to early to die yet. 

One of the really fine thing in the Affinity forums is, that we have no „OS wars“, Windows (users) and macOS (users) are respecting each other, are living and discussing side by side without fears of contact. The same is true for bashing structures and/or decisions within the companies, related to Serif. Discussing this is a different story, although it may be doubted, if this should be part of these forums here. there are tons of forums out there, where one can live one’s hates and/or preferences about Mac/ or PC or about the corporate strategy of this or that company. I believe, the Affinity team maintains – and has to maintain – productive relations to the computer/tablet companies. 

(By the way: My first Apple machine was a SE/30 too. So what …)

We want a perfect range of Affinity products, and that should be our main purpose of being her – and not to „freeze out“ users, which have different opinions about their or other systems and machines. Believe it or not: If I observe a growing amount of contributions like yours, i’ll be the first one, who says „Good Bye“ to these forums – and I am sure, I am not the only one.

And now: Back to our work: Let’s make Affinity great!

27 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

One of the really fine thing in the Affinity forums is, that we have no „OS wars“, Windows (users) and macOS (users) are respecting each other, are living and discussing side by side without fears of contact. The same is true for bashing structures and/or decisions within the companies, related to Serif. Discussing this is a different story, although it may be doubted, if this should be part of these forums here. there are tons of forums out there, where one can live one’s hates and/or preferences about Mac/ or PC or about the corporate strategy of this or that company. I believe, the Affinity team maintains – and has to maintain – productive relations to the computer/tablet companies. 

(By the way: My first Apple machine was a SE/30 too. So what …)

We want a perfect range of Affinity products, and that should be our main purpose of being her – and not to „freeze out“ users, which have different opinions about their or other systems and machines. Believe it or not: If I observe a growing amount of contributions like yours, i’ll be the first one, who says „Good Bye“ to these forums – and I am sure, I am not the only one.

And now: Back to our work: Let’s make Affinity great!

Agree entirely. No OS Wars, only good Affinity Works. 

Mac + (plus) here, fully tricked out with 4 MB RAM and the 20 MB hard disk. I do not miss it at all.

I too like the idea of paying the folks at Affinity rather than Apple but I would also like for Apple to continue on making a profit so they can stay in business.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.