You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Switching between Brush/Pencil colours takes time!

Hello. Three things if I may. I do hope that I am just uninformed.

1) When quickly inking or colouring in Illustrator, let's say, I create a shape that has white fill and black stroke, then I create black fill and no stroke. I put these somewhere on side so If I need to switch my brush settings between these two I simply select that shape and my brush gets these settings depending on selected object (white fill/black stroke or black fill and no stroke). This is not what is happening in Designer. Even if I select a shape, the brush/pencil gets back to the last settings. Meaning - I have to manually adjust the settings of brush/pencil to "white fill and black stroke" or "black fill and no stroke" every time I want to use it. This kills me.

Illustrator: Simply... create red box with blue box. Select a red box and create another red box straight away. Select blue and make another blue. 

Designer: Create red box and blue box. Need another red box? Reverse colours to red from blue and create red box again. Another blue box? Oh... reverse colours back to blue and create blue. 

I hope I'm wrong.

2) When using the brush/pencil - how can I turn off 'selection' of an object that was created? Otherwise I have to press Esc all the time. 

Illustrator workflow: Create a red line, Eyedropper on a shape with Blue line - Brush = create a new line with Blue colour

Designer: Create a red line, hit Esc to deselect, Eyedropper on a shape with Blue line - Brush = create a new line with Blue colour. Hitting escape all the time otherwise it will change the last created line.

3) Why no option for "Use Fill" for Brush as well?

Thank you!

1) It seems like I have to click on a shape and click on "Synchronize from Selection" every time I want to have the same style. This takes a bit of time, shame it's not automatic.

Is there a hotkey for that?

2) I could live with the above if there would be any way to switch off SELECTING a created object with a brush/pencil because to use synchronise on other object I need to deselect object that I just created. Two words... Jesus... Christ...

I figured out that:

- When you create shapes with brush tool after letting go your object is not selected so you may change the colour for the next one without changing the brush you just made. But then again the brush tool does not have the option "USE FILL"

- When you create shapes with pencil tool after letting go your object is selected so you have to hit escape to grab another colour. This one has "USE FILL"

Is there a way to add "USE FILL" with the brush tool ? or alternatively with pencil tool not to auto select created objects ?

• Staff

Hi pawelcichonski :)

23 hours ago, pawelcichonski said:

"Synchronize from Selection"  ... Is there a hotkey for that?

Not by default, but you can add one yourself in preferences. See my below video for it's location:

23 hours ago, pawelcichonski said:

I could live with the above if there would be any way to switch off SELECTING a created object with a brush/pencil because to use synchronise on other object I need to deselect object that I just created

There's no such option currently, I recommend posting in our Feature Requests section of the forums.

20 hours ago, pawelcichonski said:

Is there a way to add "USE FILL" with the brush tool ? or alternatively with pencil tool not to auto select created objects ?

If you're referring to the Vector Brush tool you'll need to select the drawn curve with the node tool to add/edit the fill.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi pawelcichonski :)

Not by default, but you can add one yourself in preferences. See my below video for it's locatioThere's no such option currently, I recommend posting in our Feature Requests section of the forums.

If you're referring to the Vector Brush tool you'll need to select the drawn curve with the node tool to add/edit the fill.

Thanks for your time and appreciate your response. This hot key makes a difference. Learning curve like with anything else, hard to complain as people like to expect everything to be a clone, just because they got used to other software for years. I purchased the whole 'holy trinity' of affinity software, eventually hoping to forget the trauma of years with adobe. People see a new chance and a new start and everyone wants to know 'where is that thingy I used for years in this software?". So excitement and irritation to be expected :)