You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Levels Histogram (Graph) not appearing

Hey TomM1,

The same solution seems to work for both issues, but whether they have the same root cause is still to be determined.

Thank you for the tip, Saving the file (Command>S) works for me too, much less of a pain.  I had gotten so used to saving and reloading that I had stopped looking. Still needs fixing, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Recently purchasing Affinity Photo, I was quite impressed by its functionality and professional look. But than I ran into these timing issues discussed in this tread. Opening a 3 megapixel image (RGB/8) and waiting for 20 to 50 seconds for the histogram to appear in the histogram tab. Same with the histogram in the levels dialog. Thumbnails for new layers taking seconds to be rendered. This is really disappointing, since I planned to use Affinity Photo as a substitute for Photoshop in an educational context. But AP 1.7.3 is not usable. How to teach image processing, when histograms have such a big delay?

To reproduce: Put the histrogram tab to be shown. Quit AP. Start AP and open recent image. Wait for histogram to appear... (I can send you the test image if you like.)

Convert image to RGB/16, goto Develop Persona: No delay in histogram display at all!

Setup: Metal acceleration turned on. Retina-Rendering automatic. LG UltraFine 5K Display connected (same results with 2,5 k Apple Cinema Display).

System: MacBookPro13,3 (15", 2016), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, Radeon Pro 455 2 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB, macOS 10.14.6

Best regards,

kls

Edited by kls

Hi Kls,

I am sorry that you are experiencing the same issues as many of us.

Serif are not very customer focussed, and this results in them ignoring such issues, especially when many do not suffer the same problems (or at least do not either realise or simply accept, the limitations).

As has already been pointed out by Chris M, this was a deliberate move by the developers in order to prevent CPU usage increasing.  

Quote: "So the fact we do not allocate additional CPU power in Photo Persona should apply to any Histogram. I do not think it should be taking as long as it does in your video to update. A second or two I could probably live with but your delay was substantial." Unquote

You'll not that I started this thread on 4th June - 5 months and no action whatsoever.  Last time I had issues with Affinity Photo it took 7 months to get some kind of update (when this version was released), and although I use it from time to time, I am sorry that I wasted my money (and so much time...) on this app. I bought the book, worked through the videos and was very happy with the app until the Mojave update.  I guess you get what you pay for - I am back using PhotoShop.

Thank you for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm just picking up this thread. I'm also working in the Photo Persona on a MacBook running Mojave (10.14.6), and also do not see the histogram for the image in Levels or Curves. This makes editing difficult, to put it mildly. I could work in the Develop Persona, but that's not what I bought APh to do. Any progress on this matter, or would updating to Catalina resolve the problem?

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 1.09.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 1.12.27 PM.png

Hi Cohn17,

The simple answer is I do not know as I have not yet updated to Catalina, due to the issues experienced updating to Mojave.

I also use a couple of legacy apps that have not been updated to work under Catalina, so at present have not updated.

In the meantime, I want on to the Apple Store, and rated APh with one star and gave a poor review - I then had a response from Apple: QUOTE:

Dear Earl,

Serif Labs responded to your review of Affinity Photo

Serif Labs
"Please could you email affinitysupport(at)serif(dot)com regarding your issues?"

Do you want to update your review?

You can also contact the developer.

:UNQUOTE

I responded follows on 7th December. 2019 - QUOTE:

Hi,

I received this email from Apple after leaving my review.

May I suggest that you read the threads referred to in the review, at the Affinity Forum, before responding.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/69512-mojave-metal-accelerator-not-working-for-affinity/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/89509-levels-histogram-graph-not-appearing/&page=3

I think that. You will find this absolutely backs up the review.

Thank you,

Earlio

Of course I have had no response form Serif, not even an acknowledgement of the email sent.

I am sorry that I cannot give you any better reply.  Perhaps one of the previous contributors to this thread has since updated to OS Catalina and has a response with regard to solving these issues with the update - if so, please let us know - I would appreciate a response for all of those in the same position.

Thanks for your contribution.

KR, Earl

Finally received the following email from Serif after my review:

QUOTE:

Hi Earlio,

Thank you for getting in contact and the links to the forum threads, I see you have been in contact with ChrisB who has logged the issue with the developers. The report has been bumped again to see if we can get any movement on it. Once we have more information we will update the thread.

Many thanks,
Lee @ Affinity Support

I responded QUOTE:

Hi Lee,

Thank you for at least responding.  I have gotten used to being ignored.

My experience so far is that this will be ignored once again, and I expect no update or further response from Serif on the issue.

However, I will keep on the case, on the forum and see if we can get some movement on this, if only to help those experiencing the same issue.

I have to say that this has been the worst experience I have ever had with a developer in 12 years as a Mac user.

I have nothing further to add...

• 2 months later...

From a first test with Affinity Photo Version 1.8.1 the timing problems with histogram display seem to be fixed. At least on my system there is no such big delay any more (see my post from November 29, 2019.

Best regards,

kls

Hello to all contributors,

As per the reply from pls, it appears that this issue has been fixed.

I have tested on my MBP, and it would certainly seem to be the case.  The speed that the Histogram updates now (finally) makes sense, and works as it should have from the beginning.

Thanks to you all for your contributions.

Earlio

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, outgettingsubs said:

It has not, unfortunately.

I'm having the exact same issue on a Windows 10 system. It seems to appear sooner with larger files. Very annoying bug that is. :(

I am truly sorry to hear that, and I am aware of how disruptive that can be for your workflow. 

Perhaps Chris B (Moderator) would like to comment on this - I have no way of testing this as I am on a Mac.  It might be better to start a new thread for Windows 10 users who are experiencing the same issue.

Thanks for sharing, I do hope that Serif are able to come forward with a solution. I would just say, based on my experience, that unless it is an issue that is common to a number of Windows 10 users, it might take some time...

I wish you good fortune in getting this resolved.

2 minutes ago, Earlio said:

It might be better to start a new thread for Windows 10 users who are experiencing the same issue.

He has done so

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/109670-histogram-delay/

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

22 hours ago, Earlio said:

I am truly sorry to hear that, and I am aware of how disruptive that can be for your workflow. 

Perhaps Chris B (Moderator) would like to comment on this - I have no way of testing this as I am on a Mac.  It might be better to start a new thread for Windows 10 users who are experiencing the same issue.

Thanks for sharing, I do hope that Serif are able to come forward with a solution. I would just say, based on my experience, that unless it is an issue that is common to a number of Windows 10 users, it might take some time...

I wish you good fortune in getting this resolved.

Hey Earlio,

thanks. Yes, as carl123 stated, I already started a Windows thread about this bug. When I posted in here, I wsn't aware that I was in the MacOS section. Fingers crossed this will get a fix in the future. :)

Edited by outgettingsubs