You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Something I can't wrap my head around... there are certain graphics that I open in Affinity Photo, say a JPEG or something that I downloaded off the internet, and I'm trying to use the Flood Select tool but every attempted click yields no selection. I even checked the online tutorials to figure out what I was doing wrong, and it looked like I was doing it right. It just wasn't working.

Completely at random, I right-clicked on the image in the Layers panel and wondered what Rasterize did (didn't make sense to me). The layer now said (pixel) after the name. Now when I tried Flood Select again, it worked.

So my question is, 1) why won't the Flood Select tool just work right off the bat and 2) why do I have to "rasterize" an image that is already raster? Perhaps they've used the wrong term here?

Just another confusing Affinity element... slowly learning here. :)

doesn't seem to be any dramas or differences with the flood section tool on my computer . I have been caught out in the past with tolerance too low 
Rasterizing: I will leave that for experts 

@Jeremy Bohn,

While images are raster images, when they are placed into AP, by using the File>Place command or Drag and Drop, they can not be altered until they are Rasterized to a Pixel layer. I really don't know why, but it's how they designed the program. One reason for this is an image layer will retain the native resolution. You can scale an image layer down and back up and not suffer a loss in resolution. To see this, place an image, scale it way down so it's very small. Then right-click on it in the layer's panel and rasterize it while it's small. Now scale it up. So long as the image remains an image Layer this doesn't happen, but you can not alter the pixels  Here's the AP on-line Help for Placing an Image.

The Flood Select tool is very sensitive. When you click-drag with it, the tolerance is automatically adjusted. Watch the tolerance box while dragging to see this. It took me a while to be able to use it. I'll drag a little then stop, then drag a little more. Also, it makes a difference on what you're needing to be selected if contiguous needs checked. 

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

2 hours ago, Ron P. said:

The Flood Select tool is very sensitive. When you click-drag with it

You should not click-drag it. Only click.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

7 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

You should not click-drag it. Only click.

According to the Help file,

The Flood Select Tool enables you to select pixels of a similar color.

Pixels added to a selection are determined by the color of the pixel or adjacent pixels under the tool when you click or drag across the page, respectively. The dragging operation controls the selection tolerance, i.e. how much the selection will grow to encompass pixels of similar color values under the cursor.

Just noticed, according to the tooltip in the bottom left corner states to RightMouse Click to Add. This is not working for me.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

When you just click you use the tolerance which is aleready set on the Context toolbar.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

10 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

there are certain graphics that I open in Affinity Photo, say a JPEG or something that I downloaded off the internet, and I'm trying to use the Flood Select tool but every attempted click yields no selection.

Did you Open them, or did you copy/paste or drag onto an already opened document?

It makes a difference.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, Ron P. said:

@Jeremy Bohn,

While images are raster images, when they are placed into AP, by using the File>Place command or Drag and Drop, they can not be altered until they are Rasterized to a Pixel layer. I really don't know why, but it's how they designed the program. One reason for this is an image layer will retain the native resolution. You can scale an image layer down and back up and not suffer a loss in resolution. To see this, place an image, scale it way down so it's very small. Then right-click on it in the layer's panel and rasterize it while it's small. Now scale it up. So long as the image remains an image Layer this doesn't happen, but you can not alter the pixels  Here's the AP on-line Help for Placing an Image.

The Flood Select tool is very sensitive. When you click-drag with it, the tolerance is automatically adjusted. Watch the tolerance box while dragging to see this. It took me a while to be able to use it. I'll drag a little then stop, then drag a little more. Also, it makes a difference on what you're needing to be selected if contiguous needs checked. 

Thanks Ron. Once I get the Flood Select actually working, I've figured out how to use it. I just don't get that first extra step when I open a non-Affinity image. This last time that it happened, I knew there was something I did to get it working in the past and I could not figure it out for awhile. I guess I just don't get it - why bring an image into Photo if not to edit it, so why not "raster" it automatically or maybe even just ask me. I newbie might just give up and think it's broken. And I still think raster is the wrong word.

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Did you Open them, or did you copy/paste or drag onto an already opened document?

Open them. In one case, opened it, selected the layer and copied then pasted into an Affinity Photo file, and still needed to "rasterize" it.

1 hour ago, RosomakPL said:

Exactly the same question bothers me. I do not understand what's the point  to import of bitmaps as objects (image) by default. What's sense it is? By default, it should be imported as (pixel).

Image layers in Publisher can be embedded or linked, and they preserve many of the details of the original files.  Many people prefer to link their images instead of embedding them, but that is not possible with pixel layers.  Image layers also support a "non-destructive" workflow and allow re-developing RAW data in Photo when working with RAW images.

Pixel layers are more like the layers in Photoshop or other traditional photo programs.  They contain a copy of the raster image data in a format that can be edited.  They lose the connection back to the original file.

I think the point is that for a new user there is no indication of the layer difference and what they actually are. This is especially true for the Photo app, especially people who are coming from Photoshop and are expecting a Photoshop-like experience. I'd wage most Photoshop users would have little use for the default behaviour or be aware of the format differences (since Affinity files can be exchanged between the apps). Like myself, they'd find it confusing, assume it's a broken, buggy program and stop using it in frustration. This is exactly what I did last year.

This is why Photo needs to be more clear of the layer type difference or per my suggestion, explain why a certain tool is having no affect. Or maybe have an option to convert a non-Affinity graphic to a pixel layer once opened?

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

Image layers in Publisher can be embedded or linked, and they preserve many of the details of the original files.  Many people prefer to link their images instead of embedding them, but that is not possible with pixel layers.  Image layers also support a "non-destructive" workflow and allow re-developing RAW data in Photo when working with RAW images.

Pixel layers are more like the layers in Photoshop or other traditional photo programs.  They contain a copy of the raster image data in a format that can be edited.  They lose the connection back to the original file.

Photoshop has a similar concept to Image Layers and one may also link or embed files. One still may create selections, duplicate portions or sample colours from this sort of content. The Image Layer implementation is a needless trap as partial rasterization could take place on the fly.

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, martifingers said:

Totally agree with Jeremy.  Really quite simple things are made frustrating nightmares by such confusions.

Much of the confusion comes from the assumption that Affinity Photo is going to provide more of a "Photoshop-like experience" than it actually does. Avoid making that false assumption, take a little time to learn how it differs from PS (& why), & most of the frustrations should vanish.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...

I have to agree with the author.  Rasterizing something that comes in rasterized is so confusing, makes no sense, and seeing this happen made me think i was on the wrong layer.  So backing it out and checking, yep on the correct layer and trying again to paint, and what?  Crazy.  Just one more thing to add to affinity designer's growing list of incompetency's.  I wonder if serif does this to load images more quickly? Reading the docs it just says :

For images, the placed image is added as an image layer rather than a pixel layer. This allows the original image data (e.g., the native resolution, color space and color profile) to be kept. On export to PDF, this data is re-embedded into the PDF file.

Why cant that info be kept, and the image 'rasterized' at the same time? I dont think most people bought designer to create pdf files first, rather than designing.

This is a small annoyance, but consider that every person purchasing this software and using it for the first few times, is running into this, along with all the other inconsistencies found in designer and designer for different devices.  I think it would be great if Serif, actually paid attention and created a document explaining the differences between the designer on different devices, and listed the many different struggles found in the forum and their answers, or workarounds, fully indexed.  That should be on their ad pages, first thing.   

Its like Gordan Ramsey walking out into a dinning room and asking all the customers if they knew they were paying for and eating frozen foods from the grocery store would the come back.

IMO, until the image is not rasterized, it acts like a "smart object" in Photoshop.

14 minutes ago, Alfred said:

*not not rasterized :P

Sorry for my Indian English. I hope it is better than your Macedonian? :(