You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

is afphoto designed like PSD

Hi,

I was wondering, is afphoto designed like the PSD format in that one day other software will be able to read the composite data or such that it's editable in other programs?

One useful thing with PS is that PSD's are able to be read in other software like Capture One Pro, which elimates the need for extra files. It can just read the master file.

23 hours ago, km.au said:

Hi,

I was wondering, is afphoto designed like the PSD format in that one day other software will be able to read the composite data or such that it's editable in other programs?

One useful thing with PS is that PSD's are able to be read in other software like Capture One Pro, which elimates the need for extra files. It can just read the master file.

Don't see any mention of an SDK for the format, anywhere,;but not sure why any developer would implement support for it when PSD is basically the lingua franca, these days.  IMO, it's "good enough" that the Affinity Apps share a common format.  That way I can do all work within them, and then just export the PSD or EPS file to use in e.g. Resolve or Fusion.

Even if they did make it easily available to implement for others, I'm not sure developers would relish at the chance to chase yet another file format.

The same way they pretty much ignore PaintShop Pro's native format and other "competitors" to PSD.

I think this will be a non-factor once Serif develops a DAM, which maybe "next."  I honestly hope it isn't a video editor, because software like Resolve [Studio] and iMovie/Final Cut Pro X pretty much cover that at low, perpetual pricing - on both major platforms.

I suppose support for it in i.e. batch converting applications can be useful...

Thanks, was just curious.

Yes, always possible to just export a final as a TIF or whatnot to edit in other apps. It was just a handy feature of the PSD format but I guess was more a result of being around decades!