You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layers reverse order in macos from iOS and vice-versa

Hi, 

I saved a multilayer .afphoto file from iOS photo 1.7 to iCloud, and then opened it in the mac desktop version 1.7 and discovered that the nested layers are all reversed. Also, I had a mask attached to a filter layer, nested inside the background layer, which does not show on the desktop version, unless I drag the filter layer outside the background on its own, when the attached mask layer now becomes visible (see attached screenshots). Am I missing an essential setting here? Or is this a bug? The same layer reversal happens opening a file saved from macos on iOS, in fact the precise reversal of the process, because the attached mask layer that was not visible on the desktop becomes visible when nested on iOS. Any help gratefully received. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 10.14.53 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 10.15.15 pm.png

• Staff

Hi bildervice :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I've tried to replicate this using the same filters you've used, with the same layer hierarchy. I saved one copy directly to iCloud, and one to the iPads internal storage, which was then uploaded to dropbox. Both files then downloaded to my Mac and opened in Photo, these both opened correctly with the layers intact, so I can't currently replicate this issue, my apologies.

Could you please upload a copy of your file here?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Thanks for that, I can see your issue is replicated with this file but I still cannot figure out why this is, as my document created adding the same masks/adjustments does not exhibit the same bug - therefore I've escalated this to our QA team and moved the threads to our Bugs section, one of our team members should reply shortly.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

OK, thanks. Maybe I should mention that the original file with the 2 unsharp masks and the lens blur were created in version 1.6, and the maximum blur was added when that file was opened in 1.7. It was then saved over the original file.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

I'm having this problem in the current versions as well, so frustrating, I just wasted much of the workday trying to use the apps (latest version of each). So I worked on a new file in the mac version, opened it on iOS, made some clipping paths and clipped adjustment layers, then I go back on the Mac, and all the clipped layers are in reverse order (however they seem to be displaying correctly). Not only that, but they can't be dragged to reorder them, dragging down one layer, for instance, will move it completely out of the clipped group (clicking the move up or down on the main toolbar works as expected, aside from everything being upside-down). Back in iOS everything works as it should, I can drag layers up and down no problem, and everything is right-side up.

Edited by cgorsu

• Staff

Hi @cgorsu,

Welcome to the Affinity forums and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble here!

Can you please provide a copy of the Affinity document where this is happening for me? If you'd like a private dropbox upload link for this file then please let me know :)

If possible, could you also please provide a screenshot showing how the Layers appear on your iPad compared to how they appear on your desktop for me?

Many thanks in advance!