You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, my name is Mike.

I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm a Graphic designer and Illustrator in the United States.

I have downloaded AffinityPhoto, Designer, & publisher to try it out... my hope Is to found this apps useful and productive to switch permanently to Affinity!

Now my first question: where can I found tutorials to learn the program features…

Good luck people! Mike

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Also. lots of unofficial tutorials on Youtube. Just search for "Affinity Photo" etc. 

In addition the workbooks seem to be a great learning source. The Designer Workbook is is the only one I have at the moment and I turn off the Mac and read for the last couple of hours before bed each night. Then  the next morning I read again and work through the core concepts.

Thanks for the links, the Affinity tutorials are so simple and easy to follow! Affinity's applications are great and powerful :) 

By the way, I have a few questions about Affinity Designer, i hope you guys here on the forums can help me.

1. Is there any way I can open Adobe In Design files in Designer? I tried a few times and with a few methods, with no luck.

2. When I'm typing in English, everything is ok. But for some reason when I type in Arabic, the text gets reversed. Which setting do I missing? (in Adobe, i have to enable "Middle Eastern" in the Preferences, but I didn't see such an option in Affinity)

3. Is it possible to use Brushes with full color? All my brushes (also when in the preview its colorful), gets black or gray when I'm using it.

I will appreciate if somebody will help me with those.

Happy to be part of the AFFINITY family. Mike

On 6/20/2019 at 10:25 PM, Mike Billy said:

1. Is there any way I can open Adobe In Design files in Designer? I tried a few times and with a few methods, with no luck.

No, at the moment its not possible, You can export an InDesign document to PDF, and then import the PDF into Publisher. but as Affinity said, there is a plan to add this possibility.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/65038-how-can-i-open-indesign-indd-and-idml-files-in-publisher/

2. When I'm typing in English, everything is ok. But for some reason when I type in Arabic, the text gets reversed. Which setting do I missing? (in Adobe, i have to enable "Middle Eastern" in the Preferences, but I didn't see such an option in Affinity)

Unfortunately, there is currently no support for "Middle East" (rtl) support in Affinity, but it will probably be added in the near future (there is a very widely request for it).

3. Is it possible to use Brushes with full color? All my brushes (also when in the preview its colorful), gets black or gray when I'm using it.

Take a look here in these tread:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/75219-changing-color-of-brushes/&tab=comments#comment-392250

------------

About tutorials, you can also visit the "tutorials (Serif and Customer Created Tutorials)" page, here on the forums.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/9-tutorials-serif-and-customer-created-tutorials/

Best regards!

On 6/20/2019 at 8:25 PM, Mike Billy said:

Hi,

If these are image brushes, make sure you have removed the fill and set to transparent (will have a red line through):

Capture2.PNG

24 minutes ago, summersara said:

make sure you have removed the fill and set to transparent (will have a red line through)

A slip of the ‘pen’, methinks, Sara! The fill swatch with a red line through it indicates no fill, of course, rather than a transparent fill. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yes sorry, i meant no fill Alfred (now edited) When you first use one of the image brushes when starting up the program, the fill is set to black and the brush comes out grey scale, clearing the fill on the texture image brush turns it to the image colour, i think somebody posted about it a while back but i can't find the post now.

On 6/23/2019 at 9:14 AM, Glicky said:

Unfortunately, there is currently no support for "Middle East" (rtl) support in Affinity, but it will probably be added in the near future (there is a very widely request for it).

WHAT THE HECK!!!! A graphic program for professional use WITHOUT RTL support? thats a broken C**P!!!

I hoped this amazing suite would be my future. I AM EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED!!!!!! Do i have to say GOODBYE to you Affinity???

When I identified that there is no RTL support in affinity, I had exactly the same feeling...
RTL support is not a + feature, its simply "broken' without this support... When a program is cutting out half a world from their programs, Its not possible to get really popular.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 10:35 AM, pointery said:
its simply "broken' without this support... When a program is cutting out half a world from their programs, Its not possible to get really popular.

Fiddlesticks.   The other half of the world, roughly  3.75 billion, is a rather large potential customer pool for the first few years.   "Patience is a virtue," to quote somebody or other.   In my book, the Affinity developers have done a remarkable job and I am sure will continue to do so.  Not every feature requested by every potential user has made it into Designer, Photo, and Publisher yet.   Yet.  As time goes by, all three apps will no doubt become even more sophisticated.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

On 6/18/2019 at 8:48 PM, Mike Billy said:

Now my first question: where can I found tutorials to learn the program features

You would have made a good start by looking at the forum section called Tutorials on this website.

Could I suggest some forum etiquette:

Please, if you have more questions, post them each on a separate thread in this forum. You are more likely to get a targeted response.

2 hours ago, Mike Billy said:
There are actually any updates on what time rtl support will be available in Affinity?

Using large bold, or capitals for your message is the online equivalent of shouting and is considered poor netiquette.

Don't let my comments put you off though. Feel free to ask any questions or make comments in this forum.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 7/11/2019 at 4:34 PM, John Rostron said:

Using large bold, or capitals for your message is the online equivalent of shouting and is considered poor netiquette.

You are totally right, but there is different rules for disappointed people...

Anyway moderators, i asked a question, and didn't get any answer: may i know if there is any plan to add RTL support in Affinity? if so, how long can it take? i will be happy to get an official answer from the affinity team.

I'm a young graphic designer, and my plan was to start my graphic experience with Affinity - the new upcoming star in the design world. but unfortunately, at the moment it's not possible for me, according to no multi-language support... so at least i may know when rtl will be possible.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Mike Billy said:

You are totally right, but there is different rules for disappointed people..

Conceded!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

21 minutes ago, Mike Billy said:

Anyway moderators, i asked a question, and didn't get any answer: may i know if there is any plan to add RTL support in Affinity? if so, how long can it take? i will be happy to get an official answer from the affinity team.

If you do a search for RTL then you will get several threads, including one on RTL for Arabic  text. This should go some way to responding to your question.

John

31 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

If you do a search for RTL then you will get several threads, including one on RTL for Arabic  text. This should go some way to responding to your question.

I did once a search, but didn't find something with a clear answer... only that "it is something we would like to add in the future". but the meaning of "future" is "between 2 weeks and forever" so it does not really answer my question...

A clear answer from from the affinity team will be appreciated...

By the way, to my mind will multi-language support bring lots of new customers to affinity. Most graphic designers I knew from work says that if there was multi-language support, they would have moved from Adobe. It's really disappointing.

33 minutes ago, Mike Billy said:

I did once a search, but didn't find something with a clear answer... only that "it is something we would like to add in the future". but the meaning of "future" is "between 2 weeks and forever" so it does not really answer my question...

What is clear from the answer is that Serif is unwilling to make a public commitment to a particular timescale. On past evidence, I don’t think they can deliver RTL functionality without help from a third party.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

14 hours ago, Mike Billy said:

By the way, to my mind will multi-language support bring lots of new customers to affinity. Most graphic designers I knew from work says that if there was multi-language support, they would have moved from Adobe. It's really disappointing.

RTL support ASAP Pleaaaaaaaaaaase... it's the most important feature i'm missing in affinity :( 

Comment removed by request

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 7/16/2019 at 7:57 PM, Mike Billy said:

A clear answer from from the affinity team will be appreciated...

No progress that I am aware of has been made on this important feature.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 7/23/2019 at 4:41 PM, ErrkaPetti said:

Affinity suite, 150$ one payment, or, go Adobe for 50-99$ a month for the rest of your life... Your choice... 

That's exactly why I'm so disappointed... :( (and this is besides the strong performance and stability in the affinity suite.)

On 7/23/2019 at 4:32 PM, ErrkaPetti said:

It’s pretty clear that support for RTL is still not there yet when you go into the description...

On 7/23/2019 at 4:36 PM, ErrkaPetti said:

Hmmm... Are you sure that half of the world is writing backwards?

If so, Affinity at least can have 100 million users into the western world, enough to build a successful future...

All programs this days supports multiple languages, including RTL. its the first time i'm starting to use a trial to figure out that my languages are not supported, i even didn't think to check the description.

I never suggested about half aworld, i only said that "Most graphic designers I knew from work says that if there was multi-language support, they would have moved from Adobe"... but at least understand my concern and why i'm disappointed...