You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Switch from Photoshop.... feeling like an idiot

I'm a former Photoshop user, so I don't think I'm a complete idiot when it comes to using photo editing software.

However...... I've opened a Photoshop file which contains multiple layers & channels. Affinity seems to recognize the layers & channels, but I can't figure out how to select the channels, or "ungroup" a mask that has a photo pasted into it. They are listed at the bottom of my channels palette, but my only option seems to be the ability to delete the channel. How do I activate the channel???

Hi, I am asking when there will be support for Spot color channels. It was in the roadmap - prepress section i guess. But I am afraid it still is not implemented. I would be tremendously happy if I am wrong about it ...

10 hours ago, mdenis30 said:

As I said, they are listed in my channels palette, but my only option is to delete them. I want to ACTIVATE the channel.

It isn't clear what you mean by "activate the channel." Are you saying some channels are somehow not contributing anything to the layer or document, or what? 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

In Photoshop I can draw a selection, and then save the selection. Doing this creates a channel. I can then activate/select/choose/whatever word you want to use this channel/selection & any adjustments/color correction/photos I want to paste inside/whatever will only happen to the area inside that selection.

1. Draw a selection
  2. Use the menu: Select > Save Selection > As Spare Channel

You can now access the selection and load it, as well as other options, see image below. 

Screen-Shot-2019-06-22-at-07-37-56.png

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Selections/saveLoadSelections.html

You can also create a spare channel from the channel panel, when you make a selection, that selection will be added to the Pixel selection, you can right-click and create a spare channel, invert etc.
Screen-Shot-2019-06-22-at-07-46-38.png 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions