You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Official Affinity Publisher V1 (Desktop) Tutorials

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

@Kustosha

Добро пожаловать на форумы Serif Affinity :) 

Thank you for telling us. I have reported this oversight to the translation team, who are surprised as all the tutorials should be close captioned in all our supported languages.

Our investigations have found that a batch of 10 new tutorials were not sent for subtitling in Russian, sorry about this, we will get this sorted

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I'm glad for all the videos. Glad that for many, video is an effective tool. I'm an odd duck: I prefer something written, even in PDF format. A manual. Might the videos eventually find their way into a form that, for some of us, is far more useful than, uh, video?

@acapstick  I hope that your team remembers that  Chapter One of the Affinity Photo Workbook became something of a monument to poor design and inadequate proofreading. Within minutes of opening my copy I encountered the unreadable illustrations of the user interface with dark blue lines invisible against black backgrounds. What a disappointment. How that ever got into publication at a firm claiming expertise in graphic design I cannot imagine. The Workbook should have been reissued and replacement copies sent to all of us who paid for unreadable material. I won't be buying the APub workbook. 

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

• Staff
11 minutes ago, Granddaddy said:

The Workbook should have been reissued and replacement copies sent to all of us who paid for unreadable material.

Did you complain directly to AffinityOrders@serif.com? (I see nothing sent under your forum email address) Do you have a support ticket number?

Many customers affected did get replacements as soon as the corrected stock came in. The saga as to how it happened is barely credible (and I think may be told one day) suffice to say we got compensated.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

... The saga as to how it happened is barely credible (and I think may be told one day) suffice to say we got compensated.

Sounds like the saga will be a good one, Patrick. It may even be good for people to read when a print service (assuming that is what happened) messes up one of their jobs.

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Did you complain directly to AffinityOrders@serif.com? (I see nothing sent under your forum email address) Do you have a support ticket number?

Many customers affected did get replacements as soon as the corrected stock came in. The saga as to how it happened is barely credible (and I think may be told one day) suffice to say we got compensated.

I figured that's what Serif produced and I was stuck with it. It was the way Serif designed and printed it. It wasn't like there were pages missing or the binding was broken. It was not an obvious defective product but one printed according to Serif's bad design decision and incompetent proofing.

I've mentioned it before in these forums.

Your comment indicates that Serif did not bother to inform paying customers that the company was aware it had shipped a defective product rather than a badly designed product. The company did not notify paying customers that a replacement copy could be obtained on request. So, even worse for Serif now that I know this. 

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Juan T - The videos don't usually have supporting assets or project files to support them - sometimes a video is created from a published sample like Lifestyle magazine (Help > Welcome > View Samples). The idea is to use the principle of what's being taught in your own designs.  When the Publisher Workbook is released there will be accompanying resources with that.

Regards

Andy Capstick

Affinity Documentation 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

@Jef639

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

On 4/15/2020 at 2:29 PM, Jef639 said:

When will we have tutorials written like this existed for PagePlus X9 by connecting to http://www.serif.com/appressources/PPX9/Help/…

There are no plans for Serif to provide written tutorials for the Affinity range, sorry.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

I'm delighted to see print materials for Publisher are in preparation. I'm one of the 30+ percent of people who don't learn well from video. Give me a moving image with voice-over and I have no idea what to focus on.  I'll figure things out sooner or later but annotated screenshots would make the process much easier.

I've watched some of the tutorials a half dozen times without being able to see what the presenter touches. Sometimes his hands block the view. Other times the white text on black background is simply unreadable. Most of the time, I can't tell what tool was selected to complete the action.

• Staff

@Linda Aragoni

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Sorry to hear that you find the videos hard to follow. I hope that you enjoy the Affinity Publisher Workbook more once it is available.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

I hope so, too. I suspect a portion of the problem I'm having now is due to the demand on Internet resources because of the pandemic. I've encountered all sorts of strange problems with programs I use regularly, so perhaps problems I'm having getting accustomed to Publisher will also turn out to be temporary.  Fingers crossed!

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all the tutorials.

I am new to affinity publisher having used indesign in the past (Stopped at version CS6 as did not want to go on subscription as I do not do much doc publications)

I have been struggling with the TOC despite looking at all the tutorials both official and others. 

They all seem to cover the H1 and H2 examples which is straight forward when the document has been set up that way.

I wanted to have section headings with subsection headings and content heading title for the TOC.

I set up Text Styles for the section the Headings.

I looked at the section tutorials and to put the section information on the page along with the page numbers but could not see how I could have the sections on the actual TOC.

In the end I did it manually utilising the tutorial on Text Frame Rulers and tabs.

Could you do a tutorial that covers all these functions on the TOC as they seem glossed over or missed out so far.

This way we could have the full understanding of this feature.

I appreciate all the hard work and look forward to the next update.

Thanking you for your assistance.

Kirk

Italian user here. I can speak and understand the tutorials in their original language; thanks anyway for having subtitled (most of) them in Italian. 
We are a service provider for some of the major Italian editors (my company's website is www.blulapis.it) and we are currently switching to Affinity products. In case you'd like to expand your share on the Italian market, we'd be more than happy to cooperate with you: by translating your printed guides, as an example (there are lots - LOTS - of Italian people whose English skills are simply inadequate to take advantage from your guides).

Regards
Emanuele

8 hours ago, emarillo said:

Italian user here. I can speak and understand the tutorials in their original language; thanks anyway for having subtitled (most of) them in Italian. 
We are a service provider for some of the major Italian editors (my company's website is www.blulapis.it) and we are currently switching to Affinity products. In case you'd like to expand your share on the Italian market, we'd be more than happy to cooperate with you: by translating your printed guides, as an example (there are lots - LOTS - of Italian people whose English skills are simply inadequate to take advantage from your guides).

Regards
Emanuele

I had to translate Your website before I could read ii.

3 minutes ago, emarillo said:

In the top right corner

Where? I can't find it.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)