You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Official Affinity Publisher V1 (Desktop) Tutorials

• Staff

icon_small.png

Official Affinity Publisher Desktop Tutorials

The Affinity Publisher video tutorials are available here:

https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/publisher/desktop/

In case you didn't know, the above tutorials are also accessible directly from Publisher's Welcome screen. 

We've really tried to go the extra yards with this tutorial set - all shot in 4K, picture-in-picture, subtitling and packed full of tips and tricks. If you have any requests or feedback, please let us know by replying to this topic.

The videos listed at the above link are hosted on Vimeo. Alternatively, please find a list below with YouTube links:

Basic Operations:

Page Layout:

Text Tools:

Typography:

Advanced:

Publishing:

StudioLink - interworking with Designer and Photo:

Publishing and Sharing:

Edited by EmilyGoater
Update to videos

• 2 weeks later...

Are these tutorials going to be uploaded to YouTube and gropued by themes like those ones of Photo and Designer? It is much easier for me to download them from YouTube than from Vimeo (I have to rename each one from Vimeo).

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• Staff
Just now, Petar Petrenko said:

Are these tutorials going to be uploaded to YouTube and gropued by themes

They are coming to the YouTube channel. The issue here is that Vimeo videos can be tweaked as an after thought without losing all the views and all the comments. YouTube videos are a once only upload thing, so QA have been tasked with checking the quality of things like intros and fades to see if there is any need to adjust or improve them before they are uploaded (all of which will take a while).

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Would be nice to have all the tutorials in one downloadable (zip) package (not necessarily has to be in 4K, of course. 720 would be fine, IMHO. ;) ) , so one can fetch them in one go and comfortable watch locally with VLC. My slow network connection struggles with the online streams. Always buffers; one can't quickly pause and seek back in case one missed something, rebuffering, etc. In the end I don't watch the tutorials at all for this reason.

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot

11 hours ago, tokai said:

Would be nice to have all the tutorials in one downloadable (zip) package

...and grouped in folders.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

On 6/27/2019 at 6:33 AM, Patrick Connor said:

They are coming to the YouTube channel. The issue here is that Vimeo videos can be tweaked as an after thought without losing all the views and all the comments. YouTube videos are a once only upload thing, so QA have been tasked with checking the quality of things like intros and fades to see if there is any need to adjust or improve them before they are uploaded (all of which will take a while).

Then how about giving us the link to the videos on Vimeo instead of just hiding it in your own player (which, I am sorry to say, is horrible)?

That is an heroic effort.    Thank you so much!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

• Staff

@Alfred

Thanks. You should not have needed to do that... but it's appreciated.

To ALL

There is an Affinity Photo Desktop and Affinity Photo iPad channel on VimeoPro already I have no idea why there is not an equivalent for Designer, Designer iPad and Publisher, other than the time it takes to do. I will push for some consistency.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Patrick Connor said "There is an Affinity Photo Desktop and Affinity Photo iPad channel on VimeoPro already I have no idea why there is not an equivalent for Designer, Designer iPad and Publisher, other than the time it takes to do. I will push for some consistency."

For Affinity Photo I hope you will also push for some organization to the display of those tutorials. At this moment for Photo Desktop there are 7 pages with 9 tutorials each plus an 8th page with one tutorial. The pages are not numbered so there is no way to orient yourself within the random display. The videos are not in any discernible order so there is no efficient way to browse for something you might need.  The date of posting is not shown so you cannot tell if any particular video is new or months old. The Search box is not very useful unless you know exactly what you are looking for. You are probably better off using some general web search engine to find Affinity Photo tutorials instead of going directly to the Affinity page on Vimeo. Also, there is no way to download the tutorials.

The iPad page is worse as the moving ribbon of tutorials is grayed out in my Vivaldi browser and so barely readable and extremely difficult to browse.

I wish Affinity had not hidden its old Photo tutorials when 1.7 was released. There were some 225 tutorials at that time. Surely they are not all considered outdated. I myself downloaded most of them when that was possible since I've learned never to depend on any company to keep useful information online. Fortunately at least one individual with his own web site prepared an organized list of the old Vimeo tutorials and that is still available.

I greatly appreciate @Alfred's work in preparing an organized list of official Affinity Publisher tutorials.

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

• Staff
18 minutes ago, Granddaddy said:

. At this moment for Photo Desktop there are 7 pages with 9 tutorials each plus an 8th page with one tutorial. The pages are not numbered so there is no way to orient yourself within the random displayThe videos are not in any discernible order so there is no efficient way to browse for something you might need. 

It may change, but the Official ordered and structured list are on our website, titled, tagged localized and organised by similar function.

https://affin.co/phototuts

https://affin.co/photoipadtuts

We put them on our site and designed the tagging and grouping and localisation because of the poor UI. I'll get them all hidden on Vimeo if it's such a problem ;)

There is a properly organised list of Publisher tutorials already

https://affin.co/publishertuts

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

On 6/25/2019 at 12:49 PM, mswift said:

Im starting to create PDF tutorials

Please, embed the fonts you use in your PDF's, because not everybody use the fonts you have.

On 7/2/2019 at 9:56 PM, Patrick Connor said:

There is a properly organised list of Publisher tutorials already

Yes, but when I try to download it, it redirects the download to Vimeo and saves it with different name and different content. So, the best solution for me is to upload them to YouTube and group them like you did with tuts for Photo and Designer.

Thanks.

• Staff
Just now, Nazario said:

Will these be added to the AppleTV app?

I will ask

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
18 hours ago, Nazario said:

I guess not

Sorry for the delay getting you an answer from the docs team, which is "yes but not just yet".

I think we should do but this is only something the video team can do as it needs re-encoding to (Apple TV standard) and some programming work as I understand it.

We’re talking 150+ vids here so will take a while to complete.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 1 month later...

Hiya!

Great stuff! 

FYI, in case you are looking for other video hosting options, "BitChute" has been gaining traction for months now. It's still somewhat unknown by the masses, but it might be nice to grab an account for "Affinity" before some unsavory type does. 

• Staff

@pming

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) .

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 3 weeks later...