You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Official Affinity Designer V1 (Desktop) Tutorials

• 3 months later...

I know I'm a bit late to this thread (sorry, I don't come here much) but...I wouldn't say they are tutorials as such, more, video help files.

I have purchased all three Affinity books, awaiting the arrival of publisher, but I have only read the two I have...once. I brought them more to support Affinity, but they're there if I need them, but, truth be told, I would rather watch a tutorial video, and one that is teaching me how to do a design from start to finish using the tools required, they're inspirational as well as helpful. Sadly I struggle to find good, easy to follow designer videos like that. I know Affinity does do some on it's creative youtube channel but they're not really what I want. I don't find them very helpful, although interesting to watch. There are a tonne of really good Affinity photo tutorials on youtube that do just that but not for designer. I know you can find some Designer tutorials on this forum, but crawling through the forum to find them is slow, and using the search function on here to help find them, doesn't! It's a shame that there aren't separate sub-forums for each app, especially now there's publisher.

It would be good if there was a list on here of the top voted tutorials the forum has, or, one's found on youtube, that would be a great help. I've had Affinity photo and designer for ages, recently brought publisher, I brought them for fun, but have only, since lockdown, really started to unleash the power they have, and they have a lot, you just have to discover it, which is time consuming. Oh! And if you buy brushes from the affinity store, make sure you find the extras, like the styles and assets that can come with them! I've brought nearly everything the store has to offer over time, and only recently discovered the extras!! (slapped forehead).

I know the Affinity forum is more for feedback on the apps and about bugs found, the tutorials and post your pictures sub forums are...um...just add ons, which is a shame but there it is...

If you been able to get to this point, I can mumble on! Here (below) are about the best designer youtube channels I've found after many hours of searching and watching. I hope they help and inspire you. As, if like me you brought the affinity suite for fun and amusement I know how frustrating it can be trying to find the power under the bonnet. Don't give up, I did! But now I've tried again and now I've discovered what the apps have, and I'm now enjoying them, they're no longer toys left in the playbox.

I like this channel the best. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUzuRWH5tnmt-OEOByR8S-g

This channel is a bit messy, but the designer tut videos are there and worth watching. https://www.youtube.com/c/RoryTownsendTV/videos

I'm not really a fan of this channel, no talking! But there are some really good tuts. https://www.youtube.com/c/DesignArtStudio/videos

Hope this post has been of help. Unless of course the mods have deleted it for being too long, then it won't be!!

Affinity photo 1.8.3   Affinity Designer  1.8.3   Affinity publisher 1.8.3 

iMac (Retina 4k,21.5-inch,late 2015) 3.3GHZ Intel core i7, Intel Iris pro Graphics 6200 1536, 16 GB Ram. (not a Mac snob)

• 3 months later...
On 6/18/2019 at 7:21 AM, acapstick said:

icon_small.png

Official Affinity Designer Desktop Tutorials

For Designer 1.7, we've got a brand new set of tutorials that follow a more structured approach and are sorted into logical categories. You can access them by following this link:

https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/designer/desktop

The web page that is displayed is also accessible directly from Designer's Welcome screen itself. 

Please note that the previous thread is now considered legacy and has been unpinned. The videos linked in the thread are also considered legacy although they will remain accessible (albeit unlisted).

The videos listed at the above link are hosted on Vimeo. Alternatively, please find a list below with YouTube links:

Basic Operations

Advanced Operations

Design Aids

Vector Tools

Pixel Tools

Export Persona

Text Tools

Effects and Adjustments

Appreciative of the great organization this content proposes

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, RokaDesign said:

Hello. Can you guys tell me why I cant play the tutorials on Affinity website? Big thanks

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

The videos that you reach from the applications, or directly on the website, are hosted by Vimeo. Perhaps your ISP (Internet Service Provider) or country blocks that service. The first post in this topic also provides links to YouTube copies of those tutorials. Have you tried using those links?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, brewmaxwell649 said:

I really need all the help I can get!

@brewmaxwell649, you are unlikely to get any help unless you say what your problem is. You would also be better off starting a new thread with a title that succinctly gives the problem.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 5 months later...
On 4/25/2022 at 2:37 PM, chrisb123 said:

Do resources exist for these tutorials that we can follow along to?

With the Photo tutorials its easy enough to screen copy the same image and follow along but that is not possible with vector images

For the video tutorials on Vimeo and Youtube that is usually not the case.

The Affinity workbooks for Designer, Photo and Publisher do have resources.

The Affinityrevolution website has usually resources as well for their video tutorials but not for all I think because for some they're not really necessary.

• Staff

Hi @chrisb123,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The Affinity Workbooks was a set of books Serif Published 
themselves that were available through our website and other resellers like Amazon for v1.x of our apps. You can find more info about them in the links below. We don't have them available on our website anymore.
- Affinity Photo Workbook
Affinity Designer Workbook
Affinity Publisher Workbook

On 4/30/2020 at 10:54 AM, Leigh said:

They appear to be working for me. They're hosted on Vimeo and I know that some countries block this website.

Here in May 2022, I can't get these videos to actually run. I now find accessing Affinity videos rather confusing. The ones I could previously get to from the programme itself show only as title pages. For instance, I wanted to try the "Same" one without any luck, but then I found it random;y by Googling. It's frustrating because I think I crossed the threshhold into Understanding Affinity in 2021 and I'm trying to fill-in the "corners" of my knowledge but it isn't easy, especilly if you aren't starting from the Adobe worldview of how stuff works!

33 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

Here in May 2022, I can't get these videos to actually run. I now find accessing Affinity videos rather confusing. The ones I could previously get to from the programme itself show only as title pages. For instance, I wanted to try the "Same" one without any luck, but then I found it random;y by Googling. It's frustrating because I think I crossed the threshhold into Understanding Affinity in 2021 and I'm trying to fill-in the "corners" of my knowledge but it isn't easy, especilly if you aren't starting from the Adobe worldview of how stuff works!

The ones from the programs take you to, e.g.,

Are those the ones that aren't working for you?

What browser are you using, and what OS? Have you tried a different browser?

Those are hosted on Vimeo, I believe, and might be blocked in your country. If you don't mind sharing, where do you live?

Finally, there are pointers to YouTube versions of the tutorials in the 4 pinned topics at the top of this forum (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/9-tutorials-serif-and-customer-created-tutorials/). Do those work better for you?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...

I am having the same difficulty. I watched some of the designer/desktop videos a couple of weeks ago and when I returned to them yesterday and now today, they do not show, just a black screen. I am using Firefox latest version on Windows 11.

Although I can't say I'm a chrome fan, I will try to view them. If they work, I will let you know.