You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Official Affinity Designer V1 (Desktop) Tutorials

• Staff

icon_small.png

Official Affinity Designer Desktop Tutorials

For Designer 1.7, we've got a brand new set of tutorials that follow a more structured approach and are sorted into logical categories. You can access them by following this link:

https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/designer/desktop

The web page that is displayed is also accessible directly from Designer's Welcome screen itself. 

Please note that the previous thread is now considered legacy and has been unpinned. The videos linked in the thread are also considered legacy although they will remain accessible (albeit unlisted).

The videos listed at the above link are hosted on Vimeo. Alternatively, please find a list below with YouTube links:

Basic Operations

Advanced Operations

Design Aids

Vector Tools

Pixel Tools

Export Persona

Text Tools

Effects and Adjustments

• 4 months later...

Well..........Having listened and watched 'Little Jack Horner' sitting in his corner and pulling out all sorts of options for this that and the next thing (all TOTALLY ACCURATE, I'm sure but WHAT ARE THEY FOR?) I end up with my <New Document> being a "5K PRESET" !!! What the (Deletive Expleted) IS A 5K PRESET???

Edited by Bob_Sloan
TYPO and further perplexity!

@Bob_Sloan

What's with the nasty tone? If you have a genuine question because you want to understand and expand your knowledge, just ask politely. 

In this case, if you want to understand what 5K is, you could look it up on Wikipedia:

5K resolution refers to display formats with a horizontal resolution of around 5,000 pixels. The most common 5K resolution is 5120 × 2880, which has an aspect ratio of 16:9 with around 14.7 million pixels (just over seven times as many pixels as 1080p Full HD), with four times the linear resolution of 720p. This resolution is typically used in computer monitors to achieve a higher dpi, and is not a standard format in digital television and digital cinematography, which feature 4K resolutions and 8K resolutions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Staff
6 hours ago, Jerry Cox said:

before I purchase the yearly subscription

There is no subscription. The (currently reduced) purchase price buys the application outright to use and keep in perpetuity 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, DigiDogRob said:

However, the Vimeo videos presented on the Affinity/Serif site do not scale to browser window size.

The Vimeo videos I've watched scale with the browser window. And Vimeo also supports full-screen mode. So I'm not sure I understand the problem you're having, @DigiDogRob.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi Borax,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Where did you find that link originally? If that's from our official tutorials (seems like so) there's no source files available. The videos are mostly intended to teach how to apply certain processes/techniques to your own own work/assets. Affinity Workbooks do provide source files to follow along the chapters subject.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 10:21 PM, acapstick said:

icon_small.png

Official Affinity Designer Desktop Tutorials

For Designer 1.7, we've got a brand new set of tutorials that follow a more structured approach and are sorted into logical categories. You can access them by following this link:

https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/designer/desktop

For those of us who want to access the tutorials off line or on a portable device, could you please ensure these tutorials are up to date, accessible and marked when they change.

Currently it is really hard work getting at them and ensuring they are current.

I tried to search, but couldn't find if there was a comic book lettering tutorial for Affinity Designer. I have been using AI for years, but my version is ancient and would like to know if I can do what I do there in Affinity Designer. 

I have template I made in in AI, but when I tried to port it over to Affinity Designer it didn't work. If it did, I could work with that. 

Now, I don't letterer as my main bread and butter. I write, but do letter comics as a side-side gig, so my tech expertise isn't top notch. Any help with this will free me from Adobe :)

Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, muzKore said:

Will this book ever be released in digital format?

Probably not; at least that's the word from Serif so far.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 9:20 PM, Irontiger said:

I'm also disappointed, that we can't get a digital version...

It seems pointless to release a book that will be out of date in a year when they release something new. Even offering the book as a digital access zone that is updated with each new version. Possibly, less work for them.