You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lightroom replacement possible ?

11 hours ago, h_d said:

However, it's pretty clunky - sometimes it will initially only display my Photo Booth library. On top of that, if you open a file in this way, and then close it (even without editing),  the next time you run File - Open you start deep in the normally hidden Photos.library directory structure, and heaven knows what damage you could do to the database if you start messing with that.

I reported this as a bug years ago but nothing ever was done about it. 😒

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 months later...

I'd give this a +1000 if that were a thing... I love Affinity Photo, particularly since I can use it on my iPad Pro - I'd love to see their take on a Lightroom replacement that could also work on the iPad as well... Based on their thoughtful design of Affinity Photo and Designer, I can only imagine how great their Lightroom replacement could be... 

On 6/20/2019 at 11:08 AM, Karl H. said:

Hello,

I am wondering there are not more comments/requests for this project. Me as a professional photographer and photography teacher is really unlucky with the Lightroom situation now. I don’t want to spend $ and $ just to see, that Lightroom gets no real improvement since years. I still use LR 5.7 and hope a lot that Serif created some replacement to LR before my old version is not accepted by hardware or systemsoftware anymore.

Of course there are some so called alternatives for LR on the market, but all of them just concentrate on RAW developement and a lot of effects for spectacular images. But no one cares about the library function to organize and manage a hundred thousand photos or more. And for shure I know a lot of other photographers having the same problem. The Affinity apps are so well designed, have an amazing look and feel in UI and are running very fast even on 10 year old machines so I don’t want to miss them and would be extremly happy if I could throw LR in the bin because I got your "Affinity Organizer"!

Best wishes from Germany

Karl

You claim to be a professional and yet say Lr has seen no real improvement for years? Have you not noticed all the masking improvements, colour grading controls, performance boosts - the list goes on and on. You also seem confused by what is a raw developer/dam and what is a Ps or Affinity Photo type of product. Yes raw developers just concentrate on raw development, as does Lr and C1. Heavy manipulation is done by the likes of Ps/AP.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 6:15 PM, ColinG said:

You claim to be a professional and yet say Lr has seen no real improvement for years? Have you not noticed all the masking improvements, colour grading controls, performance boosts - the list goes on and on. You also seem confused by what is a raw developer/dam and what is a Ps or Affinity Photo type of product. Yes raw developers just concentrate on raw development, as does Lr and C1. Heavy manipulation is done by the likes of Ps/AP.

Hello ColinG,

did you had a look at the date I wrote the comment? It’s from mid 2019! There were no big masking improvements, improved grading tools and so on. They all are brand new. A performance boost was more than necessary after LR slowed down from 5.7 to 6.0 extremely. To get back some performance is not just a great improvement, I think. It's just cleaning up older programming mistakes. Also the map feature in my 5.7 version has been switched off for years now due to license reasons between Adobe and the map owner. But I payed for it without a limitation in time for using it in the future. Where are the improvements in the book, slideshow and web module? And please, don’t mention the new web galleries that are replacing the hated flash galleries!

And yes, I am quite aware about the difference between a DAM or RAW developer and a layer based photo editing tool like Affinity Photo or Adobe Photoshop.

Karl