You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crashes in latest beta

It's a bit scary that you plan to release .399 as final. Even with very simple 1 page documents including 1 table, 3 textboxes and a graphic I get constant crashes of the program. Happens under various circumstances. Copy from publisher and pasting things in again, coming back from another application. The program just stops and isn't responding any more. I can only kill it through the task manager. No error message and no reaction any more. Frankly spoken this is far away from being a release candidate (and I bought it already)

Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

This is not normal behaviour for Publisher!

I have experimented in Publisher for hours moving between apps, copy pasting and frankly trying to break the program!

Generally it is very robust and stable. I certainly do not get the freezing that you describe.

Can you attach the document that is causing problems?

Is there a simple recipe that I can try to follow which causes freezing on your machine?

Have you tried a factory reset (hold ctrl when you launch the program)?

Or a reinstall?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

I have been having a lot of crashes recently (Now I've paid for the software funnily enough) and now I cant even open the program - it just comes up with 'setup completed successfully' and then won't open. Been trying for the last 2 hours.

• Staff

Can both of you attach the reports folder here "%AppData%\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports" and there might be some info on why these crashes are happening.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

39 minutes ago, Jon P said:

Can both of you attach the reports folder here "%AppData%\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports" and there might be some info on why these crashes are happening.

The reports folder is empty (even though the program crashed many times). But it simply stops working. I can't event get the focus on the app again. I do get offered a recovery file on restart though.

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

I am really struggling to get it to load now, sometimes it loads, then every time it says there is a new version of beta, I must have downloaded 5 separate times today thinking it was a different release that you had been doing today.  

So I've tried to uninstall, then I go back to the forum, download the version and it doesn't open now. It asks to repair or uninstall, repairing doesn't work. 

PS I have an un-messed with Dell desktop, 6gb graphics,16gb ram and ryzen 1700 processor. 

When I did have it working it seems to crash very easily, where as for the last few months I'd say all the other releases were more stable. 

Also - It just says upload failed on some of the reports when I try and attach the reports here....

10d87bbb-4a1c-45e7-a5df-2c6f9029498d.dmp

b807c189-6d45-463e-a2c8-c5d60a35cd8c.dmp

90cc3b89-4b0e-45c2-bff7-c7b87e0f27ea.dmp

abe7cdc8-7a08-41c0-9a5d-bf416c545a5d.dmp

I'm having crashing issues now too.  I've been working on a 194 page book that has background images on the pages.  Everything has been working great until yesterday. Now, I have random pages with blurry background images (the same images on other pages which are not blurry) and the program now just crashes/closes with no warning and no way to report.

• Staff

@jkmorticia - The blurry images might be missing images, do you get any warnings when opening up the document? It might be worth identifying the fuzzy ones and checking in Resource Manager that they are linked correctly, or simply re-linking them. Also when do you get the crash?

@sitimms - The new download should be updating not repairing, as the crash reports you've linked are from the .384 build. If possible I would suggest ensuring you have fully uninstalled the program, then install the latest version (1.7.1.399). Once installed hold CTRL whilst launching the app to ensure it is reset. If it still crashes here please navigate to the same folder and attach that crash report.

@DarkClown - I'll look into that report, what were you doing when it crashed and that report was generated?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

7 hours ago, Jon P said:

@jkmorticia - The blurry images might be missing images, do you get any warnings when opening up the document? It might be worth identifying the fuzzy ones and checking in Resource Manager that they are linked correctly, or simply re-linking them. Also when do you get the crash?

@sitimms - The new download should be updating not repairing, as the crash reports you've linked are from the .384 build. If possible I would suggest ensuring you have fully uninstalled the program, then install the latest version (1.7.1.399). Once installed hold CTRL whilst launching the app to ensure it is reset. If it still crashes here please navigate to the same folder and attach that crash report.

@DarkClown - I'll look into that report, what were you doing when it crashed and that report was generated?

When I open the book I'm working on, it will be random (different than the last time) images that are blurry.  They are the exact same image as on 15 other pages that are clear.  The crashes seem to happen as I'm working scrolling through the pages and just after noticing that there are blurry ones.  I'm going to go open and try it again.    Also, I'm using version .384.  I didn't see a .399 version.  When I downloaded from the prompt when opening the program, it downloaded the full Affinity Designer update.  Where can I get the .399 version please.

3 minutes ago, jkmorticia said:

When I open the book I'm working on, it will be random (different than the last time) images that are blurry.  They are the exact same image as on 15 other pages that are clear.  The crashes seem to happen as I'm working scrolling through the pages and just after noticing that there are blurry ones.  I'm going to go open and try it again.    Also, I'm using version .384.  I didn't see a .399 version.  When I downloaded from the prompt when opening the program, it downloaded the full Affinity Designer update.  Where can I get the .399 version please.

I found .399 and downloading.  Sorry if my issue was an old one.  thought I had the newest until reading this thread

35 minutes ago, jkmorticia said:

I found .399 and downloading.  Sorry if my issue was an old one.  thought I had the newest until reading this thread

Shoot, the .399 I found in this thread was for Mac.  Looking for the latest Windows version please

@DarkClown I think that Publisher has been in Beta for too long, about 6 month overdue according to their initial plan which was to release it by the end of 2018. I think at this point they have to release it as is because there are no aditional features planned for this release, and bugs will be sorted gradually just like with Photo and Designer. As you can see, there is alreaady 1.7.1 version of both Designer and Photo that delivers fixes for various things. You can be sure that everything is being worked out on constantly.

Updated to .399 and had tons of instability just today with it, now crashes anytime I attempt to save a file.  Here's the contents of the CrashReports folder.

Great product, hope to continue using it into the release version!

0b66a468-64fe-4cda-acd8-21491472c419.dmp

1a0a36aa-4987-4953-b37b-18c20831552d.dmp

4e316d36-6fcf-4f7f-a221-1e33e6c88313.dmp

5e32c97a-aa63-449a-8ea2-f4a5b234c710.dmp

c600f93e-51a5-4b66-877d-cff0db99744f.dmp

@Jon PSo bit of an update, yes sorted the .399 release I think, not sure what was happening yesterday and Ive checked on the 'about' that its correct. So it is still doing what it was doing yesterday, it crashes instantly on one particular document more than others - I open a document and as soon as it opens the whole thing closes down, it does have some about 10 images logos etc. But I have worked on the same document on other releases and not had this issue. 

I really cant get all the crash files to send to you as some of them fail uploading - I've tried to send them one at a time too and they crash too - is there an email or something and I can send them by wetransfer to you?

@jon p Just uploaded it to dropbox, typically it's not doing it now:) What I found was it seemed to do it more frequently if it was the first file I opened after starting the application, then say I had another 4 or 5 documents open that I was working on and then opened that particular document - it would crash. Like I say, I never really had issues with this on publisher's earlier releases - they seemed pretty stable.  

17 hours ago, Jon P said:

@sitimms and @umbralAeronaut can you upload your problematic files here and i'll see what I can reproduce.

Thanks

Ok, done!  I tried to use the file in the release version and had the crash occur again.  It won't let me save any new versions at this point, though I can sometimes make a few edits until the fateful Ctrl+S is attempted.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.