You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DNG import bug

I have (one) client who sends me DBG files occasionally and this time I noticed chromic aberration on the white areas which makes the file unusable. I opened the DNG in Photoshop and it looked perfect, so I exported it from there to tif for the project. Is DNG a bit buggy in Photo? 

DNGbug.jpg

That looks more like a misaligned set of channels (RGB), or is this just a tiny corner of a much larger file.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, nomi02118 said:

It doesn't happen in photoshop, so I thought there might be something about the AP DNG import. 

Well DNG was developed by Adobe so I would expect them to do the best job. I had to search for a while but I did finally find a DNG with some  Chromatic Aberrations off in a corner and Photo did a very good job clearing it up, the problem with the one from your client looks extreme and I am amazed that Photoshop can do anything with it.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Try running the remove Chromatic Aberrations filter 2 or 3 times, it should be able to clear this up. Extreme cases need more than one pass of the filter. It looks like the problem originated in camera rather than the DNG.

I used photoshop to open the dng without any problems, then exported to tif for use in photo. I am just concerned in future, i wont have a working version of photoshop to use as a backup. I guess it could have been a problem with the camera, but knowing this client, it seems unlikely. He is the only person i know who uses the format at all. Its not a bad idea, just almost no one seems to have adopted it in the end. 

30 minutes ago, Murfee said:

It looks like the problem originated in camera

<PEDANT MODE> Actually it would be a lens problem. </PEDANT MODE>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi nomi02118

The file is a panorama merged in Lightroom but we are treating it as an out-of-camera RAW file and applying lens profile corrections when we shouldn't. As a work around, in Develop go to the 'Lens' page and turn off chromatic aberration correction and the other lens profile corrections.

Hope that helps

Justin 

25 minutes ago, Justin said:

Hi nomi02118

The file is a panorama merged in Lightroom but we are treating it as an out-of-camera RAW file and applying lens profile corrections when we shouldn't. As a work around, in Develop go to the 'Lens' page and turn off chromatic aberration correction and the other lens profile corrections.

Hope that helps

Justin 

Sorry I guess I forget to mention it is a panorama. I did try and the chromic aberration adjustment but it didn't work out. (Chris B earlier found the same  thing.)  Might be just this file so i will keep an eye out if I get another form this client.