You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

basic question re tiff and transparency

Hi,  I have a Tiff file which I'm pretty sure has a transparent background, but when I insert it into a document the background comes out as solid/white.  How do I change this or convert the background into transparent.  I need to overlay some handwritten text onto a new background.

Cheers@Jane P,

open your document
activate the menu
filter
colour
erase white paper

Another tip, save your file as a PNG file, only PNG can save transparent background.

I hope it helps.

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

Which program are you using? Which OS, Windows or Mac? This is from Photo for Mac.

809794791_ScreenShot2019-06-20at10_11_25AM.thumb.png.edd96f7073de6b27dd51808bc21aa850.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

It will if you have an image you wish to use that on then you just click over to the Photo Persona and choose that. Note that for the Photo Persona to work in Publisher you need to have the 1.7.1 retail version of Photo installed on your machine.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Goodness I just re-read your first post and (perhaps) the penny has finally dropped.

Is the TIFF file of the handwriting? And you want to put a new background on it (I am thinking a different sort of textured paper perhaps but that does not matter), or rather under it. Get your background set up then import/place the TIFF. If the background is in fact transparent your new background should show through.

Here the background are two coloured rectangles and the image is on top of that. I know it is a TiFF with a clear background. If you don't get these results I can show you another way If my assumption about the TIFF being the handwriting is correct.

368302207_ScreenShot2019-06-21at10_59_17AM.thumb.png.d1ccf9f6ba7d33943e5bbe9a00c50d35.png

OK my quarter just dropped! Let me start from the beginning. When I import a .png file into publisher it has a white not a clear background. I need to get the clear background back so I can build my designs. Previously, I used page PPX9 and it had an icon on the toolbar that allowed me to chose background transparency. This allowed me to arrange elements much more easily. Is there a way to do this in publisher for windows?

Thanks

one old guy to another. 

2 hours ago, jmigues said:

I need to get the clear background back so I can build my designs. Previously, I used page PPX9 and it had an icon on the toolbar that allowed me to chose background transparency.

Okay, I am pretty sure there isn't a standalone button which will allow you to do that.

In the image I posted the left side has the opacity setting, you can try that but I am pretty sure it won't really work for what you want. With Photo much more is possible. If you have any photo editing software on your machine you might be able to use it in tandem with Publisher.

5 hours ago, jmigues said:

Previously, I used page PPX9 and it had an icon on the toolbar that allowed me to chose background transparency.

The ‘Picture Transparency’ function in PP only targets a single RGB value, so if the background isn’t a solid colour it won’t be made completely transparent. Like Affinity Designer (and Photo) a more sophisticated method is available in Publisher:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)