You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to view nodes whilst trying to line up a guide with them?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I seem to be hitting the right buttons this morning!

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• 5 years later...
On 5/21/2015 at 7:47 AM, MattP said:

It will be in the future - I think that the work Ben is currently doing will allow for this, so expect it in an upcoming beta.... :)

That was in 2015! Its now 5 years later and still nothing.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

But it doesn't work with the handles on bounding boxes.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Wouldn’t it be cool to have a guide that is snapped to a node track that node so the guides move with the object and even when the object is rotated the guides remain locked to the nodes.

Added a feedback request: 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

20 minutes ago, anon2 said:

You requested nodes to remain visible but you actually meant the handles of a bounding box?

Sorry - a bad use of terminology. As I said in the earlier post this was a feature that was to be added over 5 years ago!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

5 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Sorry - a bad use of terminology. As I said in the earlier post this was a feature that was to be added over 5 years ago!

How could you expect the developers to know that you meant bounding box handles when you used the word nodes?

35 minutes ago, anon2 said:

35 minutes ago, anon2 said:

How could you expect the developers to know that you meant bounding box handles when you used the word nodes?

A very good point and one that I missed at the time.

I then raised the issue again on 19 Sept 2019 and had a lengthy discussion with the developers. I was convinced that this feature did exist in the earlier versions of AD but was assured by the developer that it had never been a part of AD.

I believe that what happened is previously to AD I used a PC and DrawPlus which did have this feature. I found it to be a very useful feature for getting guide lines to snap to bounding box handles i.e. acting as centre lines to objects. One of the reasons offered was that it reduced 'screen clutter' I failed to see how that could be called screen clutter since nothing extra was being added - the handles were there and guide lines could be added. How much coding does it take to not have the handles disappear when moving a guide? To my way of thinking it is the removal of coding rather than adding it.

The only way I can get a guide line to snap to a bounding box handle is to guess its position and then check visually since it could be snapping to another out-of-sight object.. This especially applies to rectangles and circles/ellipses..

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

17 minutes ago, jackamus said:

[...] check visually since it could be snapping to another out-of-sight object 

Choose Candidate List in the Snapping Manager to restrict snapping. Hovering the pointer over an object for about 1 second makes its path become purple to indicate that it is a snapping candidate.

Thanks. I'll give this a try but I still think that disappearing handles when moving a guide is not user friendly.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0