vdamjanovski

Word count in Affinity Publisher

37 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

They do not comment on what features they might include, nor when they might include them. Replies in this forum from Serif are usually reserved for greeting new forum members, or correcting mistakes, or for soliciting additional information if a request is unclear.

Yep. Which I find really weird, since they also do the public beta testing here. There are other companies also that do development in a similar fashion, the difference that you can check what requests are there already or who to ask your bug-related questions. Whatever.

39 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

(They also discourage tagging a Serif staff member who has not already been involved in a thread.)

I know. It might warrant some attention to the feature, or they might stay quiet, idk. I possibly won't get any reply, or a generic one, and I will continue using Publisher knowing, that I need to pay attention when I use it, because it has some drawbacks to my workflow. Like not having Select same in Designer for 6 years. Based on that, I won't hold my breath.

It is just really frustrating, because I admire the fluidity of all the apps which I use on both platforms. Simply I don't know what to expect: is word count coming in v2 or some next decade? I just simply don't understand why the mystery - if there was a roadmap (yeah I know, policies), I would just take a look at my missing features and move on. I just make these really annoying bumps into walls that I forgot about, and I need to waste time migrating to other software, even though I have all my renderings done in Photo and I really like doing that.

But hey, I know I'm one in a million, and I guess I'm clearly not in the target group of Designer and Publisher, and I've just started hitting the boundaries of the latter.

MBP 15" + iPad Pro 10,5"

macOS High Sierra 10.14 | iOS 13 | latest Affinity Photo & Designer & Publisher (and Betas)

8 hours ago, furtonb said:

But hey, I know I'm one in a million, and I guess I'm clearly not in the target group of Designer and Publisher, and I've just started hitting the boundaries of the latter.

Their marketing is very fond of using the term "professional" - a market segment they are not actually ready for with their current products and algorithms - and a market segment they simply didn't penetrate at all. For obvious reasons - those reasons.

I gave up using Designer - a "professional" vector drawing program without advanced or semi-advanced vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for. Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can use it. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion.

Further... give up and please hire a professional, educated UX (user experience designer), Serif. Professional software companies used them for decades now. You must too.

15 hours ago, Jowday said:

a market segment they simply didn't penetrate at all

I wouldn't say this, I'm sure it's ideal for purely graphic design at this state - (illustrations and such).

Off-topic:

I'm an architect, my primary domain is also visual, but the sources are different: drawings and vector illustrations are generated from a model or drawn from scratch in ARCHICAD or Rhino, I'm not creating them in Designer. I would use it to touch up or recolour stuff, add details, etc.

I do my postproduction on renderings in Photo, it actually works a lot better with 32bit images than PS (I have no other reference, I was too lazy to learn to use other tools).

I also create a lot of text based documents, that vary on the scale of "shallow beauty" to "scientific writing": specifications, descriptions, summaries to competitions, right now my thesis. Usually I can work with importing stuff from .txt (I write a lot in iA writer lately) to Publisher (referencing is already taken care of in the .txt, either by me or a colleague), or just do the whole thing in Pages, where type and formatting also looks "okay-ish" with little effort. Right now I'm authoring everything, it's not just a matter of quickly formatting imported material, this is where Publisher falls short, and I cannot use Pages completely as it dies badly from huge imported PDFs... speaking of which: Object level display quality is something that would worth implementing someday.

In my personal experience something is always better to do in a certain package: the ease of creating tables and diagrams (iWork does this wonderfully), built-in referencing (Word or LibreOffice Writer), regex handling (Google Sheets), then throwing all the source documents together (only a few things are missing from Publisher to fit my needs).

I'm a self employed freelancer in the need of "professional" graphic tools, but not a constant need. There are weeks that I won't open Photo, and there are ones when I have it open 0-24/7. There are days that I spend finalizing a competition layout in Publisher, and a month passes with a cumulative use of 20 minutes of it... I guess there is a "barely visible" range of users that are neither professional graphic designers by trade nor amateurs.

on-topic again:

That's why I don't really understand how such an essential feature like displaying the word count can be omitted, it's present virtually everywhere.

MBP 15" + iPad Pro 10,5"

macOS High Sierra 10.14 | iOS 13 | latest Affinity Photo & Designer & Publisher (and Betas)

55 minutes ago, furtonb said:

why I don't really understand how such an essential feature like displaying the word count can be omitted

Hi @furtonb,

think of it like this: the feature is not omitted but they gave it a (low) priority that it has not been included yet.

They introduced a while ago the preflight feature. I mention this becaus it is something that relies on observing and analysing document content live. If something goes wrong preflight icon turns red or yellow immediately. I assume word count would work similarly and it seems the technology itself is there already. Its just that they did not include the code yet.

d.

Affinity Designer 1.8.5 (beta 1.9.0.864)   |   Affinity Photo 1.8.5 (beta 1.9.0.864)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.8.5 (beta 1.9.0.863)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.8.4   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I'm still holding out hope that this sneak it's way into the 1.9 beta. If not then maybe a 1.9.x release.

Word counts I would like to see:

• Document Word Count
  • Page Word Count
  • Frame Word Count (Selected Frame)

On 11/21/2020 at 6:57 PM, Jowday said:

Their marketing is very fond of using the term "professional"

So...  what do you suggest?

Maybe...

We make software with a large number of features which are useful to many people but are missing just enough functionality that each user who believes himself to be a professional will discover something that it doesn't do and complain about the missing feature causing our software to not be "ready" for "professional" use.

While many people are getting significant work done with the product including people for whom the work they are doing is indeed their "profession" (the nature of being "profession-al"), the existence of even one user with requirements we don't provide for prevents us from marketing the products as being truly "professional" until such time as our software has become so bloated with every feature imaginable that it is too unwieldy to get any meaningful work accomplished with it in an efficient manner and new users are completely overwhelmed with the sheer scale of the user interface and its feature set causing it to have a massive learning curve.

Once we have reached that point we can call the software professional and consider it competitive with other similar software in the industry, matching their pricing structure and giving a large portion of our user base reason to look elsewhere for solutions that are useful to them.  

Until then, please consider testing our software as for many (though admittedly not all) users and use cases it is currently an effective tool for getting meaningful work accomplished efficiently.

Hmm, after reading that... maybe I missed my calling and I should go into marketing?

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

I should go into marketing?

No, the text is much tooooo long. :-) Simply let chimpanzee count the words (they do it very quickly) or use apps that have the features you need.

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

they are doing is indeed their "profession"

like the POTUS

16 hours ago, RyanJEC said:

Frame Word Count (Selected Frame)

I think it would be more useful to have a Story Word Count, where a ‘story’ is a set of linked text frames. If the selected frame weren’t linked to any others, the result would be a Frame Word Count.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.6 • Designer for iPad 1.8.6 • iPadOS 14.2 (iPad Air 2)