You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

For those of us who have been testing the beta, when we receive the 1.7 version on Wednesday, how should we install it on Windows?  I.e. do we do an uninstall of the beta followed by an install of 1.7; or, do we just install 1.7 over the top of the beta??

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
(Still stumbling along given too many directions at any given moment)
Windows10 platform

Neither. You install alongside the beta, if it works like all the other Affinity applications work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt.

I'm just trying to figure out any advantages to retaining the beta.....

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

38 minutes ago, RickyO said:

I'm just trying to figure out any advantages to retaining the beta

There will almost certainly be new betas, perhaps quite quickly to fix any urgent bugs - this is exactly what happened with Designer / Photo going from 1.7 to 1.7.1 in time for the Publisher release.

So if you want to continue testing beta versions, they will install over old Betas and along side the release version.

But it would do no harm to uninstall the beta either!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

3 hours ago, RickyO said:

I'm just trying to figure out any advantages to retaining the beta.....

When there's a new beta, as Aammppaa mentioned, if you've retained the old one your old settings from the prior beta will probably remain in place.

Edit: Actually, that may not be true. The new beta will be a Customer Beta, not a Public Beta as the current one is.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

When there's a new beta, as Aammppaa mentioned, if you've retained the old one your old settings from the prior beta will probably remain in place.

Edit: Actually, that may not be true. The new beta will be a Customer Beta, not a Public Beta as the current one is.

Thanks.

But with the release tomorrow, aren't the betas history?  It should be the mark of moving from beta to final.  No?

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

3 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

There will almost certainly be new betas, perhaps quite quickly to fix any urgent bugs - this is exactly what happened with Designer / Photo going from 1.7 to 1.7.1 in time for the Publisher release.

So if you want to continue testing beta versions, they will install over old Betas and along side the release version.

But it would do no harm to uninstall the beta either!

Thanks again. 

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Walt, I appreciate your effort.  Unfortunately, I'm even more confused.

Forty years in IT and dev, and the usage of the term beta over the years was consistent and quite different from what Serif is using.  But that's on me.  (We always used alpha, followed by beta, and then onto a final release; with all thereafter being updates, whether minor or major.  This system you're describing is new to me, and seems a bit complicated:  customer beta, public beta, co-existence of beta with final release versions.  Is it just me, or, .....).

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

When Publisher is released, there will be subsequent update releases, which will be released as a „beta“ release before being shipped to the end user. This is not really unusual. Adobe works the same way, Apple with its macOS updates too, and, and, and …

Seems overly complicated, especially when put on a timeline.  Too easy to have parallel, out-of-sync versions and dev tracks.  Unnecessary.  Just my experience.

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

Why that? Would you prefer to have no beta release between major editions? If yes, why don‘t you simply renounce on downloading them? You are not forced to do so.

And: Don‘t you think, it is better to expand the base of testing even of dot releases? I think this increases the possibilities of spotting bugs and inconsistencies.