You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

7 hours ago, RLGL said:

Publisher just caught my eye. Will or can it edit an existing PDF? Like changing and or adding text and Pictures.

Just the other day I had to change only one sentence in a one page PDF. The main font used in the PDF was not installed on my system but I found and installed it for that purpous. I tried with Adobe Acrobat pro, FlexiPDF and APub. All three were able to open the file and all three exposed the same display problems with the font (even though it was available and not substituted).

Changing the one sentence was possible but the overall result was different in comparison to the original.

What I want to say is: PDF in general is a delivery and not an editing format. It very much depends on the quality of how it was generated and also its complexity. Working with original files is always the better choice if possible (but obviously this is not the case many times :) )

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

14 hours ago, RLGL said:

Publisher just caught my eye. Will or can it edit an existing PDF? Like changing and or adding text and Pictures.

The short answer is, definitely yes.  I tried it out several months ago, adding 20 pages to a previous book saved in PDF, and revising many pictures and adding 50 more. The long answer is that it will take a bit of preliminary work.  When you first Open (not Place) the PDF you will get a box with several options.  Be sure to check the box referring to opening as editable text.   Dominic and Fixx  are correct, that you may have some font substitution issues, but these are easily dealt with.  The opened PDF (if you choose the option Show Special Characters) will display a paragraph return at the end of each line — within each paragraph — so you need to use Find and Replace to change those.  And if it is a multi-page document, you will need to manually link all existing text frames.  It is a bit of a slog at the start, but once you have sorted all that out, it is clear sailing!!    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

2 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

long answer is that it will take a bit of preliminary work

Thanks to all. I have been using Foxit Phantom PDF. I takes some effort to edit items also.  I will give Publisher a try, definitely cheaper than Foxit.

1 minute ago, RLGL said:

Thanks to all. I have been using Foxit Phantom PDF. I takes some effort to edit items also.  I will give Publisher a try, definitely cheaper than Foxit.

Be sure to use these forums if you have questions or get stuck!!   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

8 minutes ago, RLGL said:

You are welcome. And good luck (there is no irony in this). It certainly is worth a try and depending on how much time you are willing to invest you can create a presentable result.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil