c_moon

Denoise - from filters v live filter from layer

Hi.  Trying out the two methods of denoise filter with the same settings, I get a very different look from each method - much smoother using the destructive filter.  Is this supposed to happen this way? Same result on 1.7.0.367 and beta 1.404.

Thanks, Nigel.

Hi Nigel

This is to be expected. The destructive filter estimates the noise level throughout the image and scales the intensity of the effect accordingly. The live filter cannot do this as the full image is not available to it due to the tiled nature of the rendering pipeline.

Justin

Thanks for the clarification Justin. Does this apply to other Live Filters as well? If so, we should add something to the Help that covers this.

Thanks, both.  Just to be clear, the numbers on the settings sliders won't therefore be comparable? And you won't be able to get the same intensity (if that's the right word) of smoothness out of the live filter at maximum (which seems to be the case)?

Cheers. Nigel.

Since upgrading to 1.7, I am seeing no change at all in noisy photos with the filters where it was clear with the older versions. I'm not sure if there is a problem with my install, whether there is a hidden setting I can't find or whether this is just a bug.