You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

interface icons

It's not a small request, I know, but I'd love to see the UI receive a little more love - such as more options regarding padding on toolbars. CorelDraw I recall being awesome at allowing you to refine this. But mostly I'd love to see the cartoony icons abandoned. Flatten them out and simplify them. I did a quick mockup that I would call far from ideal, but I'd happily use these over the existing icons, which just look too cute and dated for my tastes. It's not really too many icons either - I rather like most of the top-bar icons, but the basic tools like the pen, hand (I may be overly sensitive, but it particularly bugs me that its coloring is race-specific), magnifying glass, etc don't feel like they belong in modern, professional design software.

flatter-icons.jpg

Agreed :235_bee:

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:49 PM, Adam_D said:

but the basic tools like the pen, hand (I may be overly sensitive, but it particularly bugs me that its coloring is race-specific), magnifying glass, etc don't feel like they belong in modern, professional design software.

I agree. but please don't replace it with "flat gray icons" like Adobe, it's black and flat... i'm hating it.

In my opinion we need colored icons, but not so colorful and blended like those.

Flat professional icons please. Great mock-up @Adam_D

I prefer monolitic icons - it is already an option in preferences so no panic :)

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 6/17/2019 at 3:49 PM, Adam_D said:

I did a quick mockup

26 minutes ago, Glicky said:

how did you replaced the icons?

I suspect he took a screenshot, captured the color of the background behind the icons, created new icons, and pasted them onto the screenshot?

On 6/24/2019 at 9:44 AM, Glicky said:

Adam_D: how did you replaced the icons? can you give us short instructions (and maybe also to upload the icons) how to do this? i want to try it out, basically just for the fun...

Yes, as fde said, I just took a screen shot and placed some new icons atop that. made a couple icons from scratch and pulled others from the free icons at https://www.iconfinder.com/

I really don't mean to suggest using these icons, just wanted to have a quick look at the Designer UI after flattening out the icons I feel look too dated. You can have a look at the designer file I made if you care to - it's attached.

designer icons.afdesign