You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where did the Baseline option go in Affinity 1.7.1 ???

Screen-Shot-2019-06-17-at-19-44-27.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

If you click on the small white triangle and scroll down the list you will see the cursor move to preview the increments as you mouse over them.

Base-line-preview.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Affinity designer and Affinity Photo aren't meant to have baseline grid features. The toolbar button after upgrading to 1.7.0 that some customers saw was a mistake

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Does Affinity Publisher βeta 1.7.x  have that feature Patrick?

@Patrick thank you for your honest answer ... may I know the reason for that? I have all the versions of affinity in osx and ipad and I am a beta tester of publisher and thinking of buying ... but I am tvery sorry if you remove a feature for marketing reasons only ... 

• Staff
Just now, firstdefence said:

Does Affinity Publisher βeta 1.7.x  have that feature Patrick?

Absolutely, and the ADe & APh 1.7.0 update replaced the snapping button on the main toolbar with a baseline grid button from Publisher

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

It was not a marketing decision. The snapping options are core to the application and accidentally got replaced with a bottom from Publisher. 

As there's a shared codebase this looked deliberate, but I assure you that it was not

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

Absolutely, and the ADe & APh 1.7.0 update replaced the snapping button on the main toolbar with a baseline grid button from Publisher

Screen-Shot-2019-06-17-at-19-59-28.png

• Staff

Yeah that's not right. Toolbar >customize > reset please. (Or not as you wish) It's not meant to be there

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

Error, reported a while ago. I think it should only show if you open a publisher document in designer/photo

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Ah. I see.

There do seem to be some difficult design decisions for the team building this suite of apps that share a common file format, wherein documents are expected to be round-tripped between the various apps in the suite. I suppose a baseline grid set in Publisher would be honored somehow by Designer and Photo in spite of the fact that those apps don't offer a direct way set, enable, or disable the baseline grid.

@Konstantinos

If I were you, I would do one of two things:

• a) hang your text frames from the same hang line and make sure that the leading for you body copy is constant (use a paragraph style)
  • b) if you require some kind of grid, go into the Grid and Axis Manager and set up the major spacing and subdivisions to suit the intended leading of your body copy.

@Konstantinos

I suspect many things will become clearer once Publisher is launched on Wednesday.

Having said that, the three applications in the Affinity Suite share the same file format. You will be able to start a document in one application and then open the document in another application for editing.

If baseline grids are important to your design workflow, it appears that you would need to compose your pages in Publisher.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Konstantinos said:

Can I use Affinity publisher with the same file as affinity Designer so to setup my grid in there and Designer see it ? 

Yes, that would work

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

... I suppose a baseline grid set in Publisher would be honored somehow by Designer and Photo in spite of the fact that those apps don't offer a direct way set, enable, or disable the baseline grid.

Exactly so, there is nothing to stop you adding a baseline grid in Publisher, and reopening in Designer or Photo which understand the feature (that they cannot apply directly)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd