You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have read a lot of comments about Linux support, not all of them but a lot.

I'm interested in what affinity staff think about Valves Proton and Steam as a distribution platform...

Would working with the Proton team to get a version working on Linux still be out of the question? I mean, I'm sure most of the work would be with them, bundle it into Flatpak for Linux so it works on all of the different distros and use Steam for distribution of the software.

Make it more expensive if you like, I wouldn't mind.

I'm interested in your views on this as the risk in so minimal now, why wouldn't you?

The issuse with using proton/wine is that your not gonna be getting the full performce. If they was gonna to do it, I would hope they would do it properly instead of skipping steps which will no doubt result in lower performce. If they was to use flatpak or any other, I dont think that alot of people would care like myself becuase 2 postives happens 1. I'm moving away from adobe 2. I'm moving away from windows but thats my 2 sense :12_slight_smile:

• 1 year later...

The full performance might not be necessary like the Windows games running on Proton. 10% less performance does not matter. Even some windows applications run on the same performance or above, since Proton wraps the DirectX directly to the Vulkan-API.

Valve might be interested to support other software beneath games as well. Could be a new business model of valve at all to make popular end user software available for linux.

Serif on the other hand might only distribute their "linux windows version" at Steam for little effort and check so the demand of their product on the linux market.
If the demand is high, they might even make a native port at version 2.x

there are 2 lengthy threads regarding Affinity on Linux already which probably answer the idea of this thread. I think porting over to Linux is not the great hurdle that they are unwilling to take, it is support and another OS to be testing and supporting with for a limited market. Even with high demand from Linux user it is still a very small user base. Linux has a smaller user base as is, and a smaller percentage of those users who would be using Affinity itself.

I do think capitalism finds a way in the end. If there is money to be made someone is going to do it, just might not be in the time frame people want. I remember the early days of OS X and how sparse it was for applications that were common and readily available on Windows. Took years of development and growth to get to where we are now.