You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi All,

I have a question / request is it possible to create long shadow of a thing in a different way than shown in the youtube link youtube workflow example or affinity file I have attached. 

I would love to be able to this effect parametrically so it can be copied and changed. I am suggesting a tick box or something in the layer effect dialog box under the outer shadow effect. 1089641815_thisiswhatIamproposing.jpg.845513eaaa0e9cd038ff7b060f835750.jpg

If I would be able to this and even be able to record actions with it. This ability would enable me totally new and groundbreaking workflow. 

regards,

D.

exaple of what I want to achevive.jpg

images.jpg

images.png

is this possible with affinity questionmark.afdesign

is this possible with affinity questionmark.jpg

It is possible… but there is no layer effect, or tool that will automate the process for you!

Draw the long shadow yourself by duplicating and distorting the text, then drawing lines to join the copies together.

You can use symbols to create a fairly nice effect, and since it remains editable it can be saved and reused, meaning you only have to do the work once.

It would be a variant on this…

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

11 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

It is possible… but there is no layer effect, or tool that will automate the process for you!

Draw the long shadow yourself by duplicating and distorting the text, then drawing lines to join the copies together.

You can use symbols to create a fairly nice effect, and since it remains editable it can be saved and reused, meaning you only have to do the work once.

It would be a variant on this…

Thank You Aammppaa, 

As I understand it there is no easier way to do it. 

Is it possible to bring attention from developers to this suggestion?

Regards,

D.

@D3RYou can make a feature request here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/52-feature-requests-feedback/

At the moment I use a cool app called Logoist (Mac only) for quick 3D text creation.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Don't be put off that your request did not get feedback from Serif - they very rarely respond directly to feature requests.

This doesn't mean that the request is not read or considered, it is simply the way they work.

I'd imagine this policy is so that people don't feel that they have been promised something, which generally leads to them feel upset when it doesn't arrive the way they thought it would, or in a time frame that they felt was appropriate!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

7 hours ago, Glicky said:

In CorelDRAW it's possible to apply/edit Long Shadows very easily and quickly, with the Block Shadow tool.

blockShadow.png-320x240.png.617ce9c93690e1c4b0e7f104591c99a5.png   block-shadow-tool-2018.jpg.eb99744d437deee7aadb80a3bf879ea8.jpg   CorelDRAW-44-blockshadow.png.9e72e1c93ed32e55e5e57ff47b3bfa48.png   CDGS-BlockShadow-Image7.jpg.e91222348ffa40a4dbe47fd6459fb8b4.jpg

Will be great to see this tool in ADesigner...

Exporting to pdf and they import to Affinity Designer beautifully.

Untitled-1.pdf

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

A 1.6 file. w. a couple of samples. (My d-load speed is so pitiful that the new version will take at least 7 hours. Tried updating my iOS version, and it failed. Haven't wanted to tie up my connection, needed to do other things.)

LongShadow2.afdesign

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

image.png.62644047d98d2ba2984773ca904612f1.png

Now that is a beautiful list of features :x

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

@Aammppaa

Hi, yeah I know they can not promise anything. 

But I know about a workflow that is no possible with Adobe suite. 

I would love serif to implement two features. One of them is long shadows or block shadows as they are called in Corel draw. The other one is to import layered pdf as into the affinity photo with the same layers as I specified in this topic:

• 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, rvz said:

Any updates last year on block shadows?

(maybe I missed something. aka I only use Affinity occasionally)

thanks!

Nope. Workarounds ad libitum.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.