You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Several problems I'm having with Photo 1.7

No-one else seems to have reported these, as far as I can see, which seems curious to me. 

Edit in Designer (or Photo in Designer) is greyed out.

Cropping tool is inconsistent. For this 600px x 400px image,

c01.PNG.dafbe0207f6133206a1eafd96f7c1bf8.PNG

setting the 1 x 1 preset, or entering a custom ratio of 1 x 1, produces this,

c02.PNG.1761790ed01fb69a4525f04327931ea1.PNG

while entering any absolute size sets the width to the actual width on the image. 

c03.PNG.c8e14fc96250518686a6cb1f29254948.PNG

In Develop Persona, clipped areas disappear as soon as Saturation is changed from 0 (but reappears if Saturation is reset).

The scroll bars don't always scroll properly with large-ish images such as RAWs and panoramas, like the following:

ss01.jpg.09c8128e51f0e16abbf8b838562299f9.jpg

This has reverted to displaying correctly:

ss02.jpg.e063c0a65873db483d87e8f496407702.jpg

The image can be moved normally with the View tool or the Navigator, but as soon as the scroll bar is moved, the image reverts to its previous position.

And a couple of niggles ...
Filters with parameters don't apply when Enter is pressed any more. (I know Resize never did, but the others used to.)
Sometimes a previous image appears briefly when loading new RAW (CR2)
The Develop progress bar would be better as actual progress bar, not 'wait'.

I am running Windows 10 Pro on a Dell Latitude E5550 laptop with a 500GB hard disk and 8GB of memory.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Kasper-V,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

Crop tool

• We have re-written it and not it works slightly different (but correct). By default, the crop ratio should fit the long edge of the image, and some of your crop box wil be "outside" the canvas. This is by design

Develop persona and Scroll bars

• Unable to replicate this. Can you provide more details/examples?
On 6/17/2019 at 6:12 PM, Kasper-V said:

Filters with parameters don't apply when Enter is pressed any more. (I know Resize never did, but the others used to.)

Unable to replicate this either

On 6/17/2019 at 6:12 PM, Kasper-V said:

Sometimes a previous image appears briefly when loading new RAW (CR2)

Unable to replicate this either.

Thanks,

Gabe.

7 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

We have re-written it and not it works slightly different (but correct). By default, the crop ratio should fit the long edge of the image, and some of your crop box wil be "outside" the canvas. This is by design

Is there a reason for this other than "by design"?

To me, it would make more sense for the crop ratio to fit the shortest edge of the image then nothing would be outside the canvas

Surely, most people crop to make the image smaller so would expect this

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
13 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Is there a reason for this other than "by design"?

To me, it would make more sense for the crop ratio to fit the shortest edge of the image then nothing would be outside the canvas

Surely, most people crop to make the image smaller so would expect this

It has already been logged for further investigations as you're not the only one asking this :)

Since we went to 1.7.1 the scroll bar problem has disappeared. The 'previous image' thing seems to be a Windows thing, as it's happened occasionally with non-Affinity things too. But when applying filters, the focus isn't automatically on Apply, so I have to click on it instead of just hitting Enter.

• Staff
17 hours ago, Kasper-V said:

But when applying filters, the focus isn't automatically on Apply, so I have to click on it instead of just hitting Enter.

I'm struggling to replicate this. Have you got any steps to reproduce it?

8 hours ago, GabrielM said:

I'm struggling to replicate this. Have you got any steps to reproduce it?

I've been struggling to try and record this as a video, without success. Here are three screenshots ...

Selecting Unsharp Mask (for example) from menu:
01.jpg.928eb2a25c67ba7bdeafc2c49bfe2e1c.jpg

I press Enter:
02.jpg.a3c4663f01f68d39422cb8469ed4a433.jpg

As you can see, the Radius value is automatically selected, so when I press Enter again:

03.jpg.710ffe75bf4cc8fa7c0504a935ac5223.jpg

... the Radius value is highlighted, when I was expecting it to Apply. The next press does apply the filter.

• Staff

That behaviour is expected. When a cell is highlighted, pressing Enter will let you edit that value. That's how it has always been. The only thing that's different is that in 1.7 the cell gets highlighted automatically for Unsharp mask, while in 1.6 is did not. Definitely not a bug 

On 7/16/2019 at 7:08 AM, GabrielM said:

We have re-written it and not it works slightly different (but correct). By default, the crop ratio should fit the long edge of the image, and some of your crop box wil be "outside" the canvas. This is by design

It would be nice if the (not so helpful) 1.7 Crop Tool help topic mentioned this 'fit to long edge' design choice. >:(

For the reason @carl123 mentioned, it would be even nicer if this design choice by default always set the crop box to be the largest one that fits within the canvas. However, unless I am missing something to do that the fit should take into consideration if the document has landscape or portrait dimensions & set the default edge reference accordingly.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7