You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rulers only per artboard, not over every artboard

I would like to make e few designs. And therefore i use rulers to mark the positions. I would believe if you have more than 1 artboard that a ruler-line could be placed all over all artboards. But that does not work. Do i something wrong? See enclosed document with two artboards. Selecting an artboard shows the ruler for that artboard.

test-ruler-lines.afdesign

Schermafbeelding 2019-06-17 om 18.27.26.png

I believe that Guides are local to an artboard by design, in the same way that Grids are local to an artboard.

To work around this try one of the following…

1. Don't use a guide. Instead draw a straight line with the pen tool across all the artboards.
    Ensure that you have appropriate snapping options set.
    Don't forget to turn off your drawn guides before exporting / printing!
  2. Set up the guides on one artboard, and then duplicate that artboard as required.
    Guides will also be copied, but any modifications will only apply to one artboard at a time.
  3. Don't worry about guides at all, just rely on Affinity's excellent snapping, which works seamlessly across artboards.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Rulers are global...  guides are local to the artboard, or to the page in Publisher.  In Publisher you can put guides on a master page to make them available across multiple "normal" document pages which have the master page assigned to them, but Designer doesn't have an equivalent to that.  Note that as artboards can be different sizes, guides might not always match up between them in a meaningful way.

• 1 year later...

You can group your artboards and then have global guides but they won't show in the individual artboards, though.

There is also 

but this will work only with same size artboards.

The guides/their relative distance will scale with the artboard, something that will not work with differently scaled artboards, also, changing the margin/guides on one artboard will not replicate that setting across all artboards.

Perhaps this would be a feature, i.e. inherit guides from parent group or something along that way.

Edited by silkentrance