You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop ratios slightly skewed in 1.7+

I regularly crop images to a 16:9 ratio for display purposes and in 1.6 and earlier, I created a 16:9 custom ratio and it worked perfect but in the latest where you have all the presets set (I was initially pleased to see this) - it doesn't quite crop it right.

For instance I crop it to 16:9 then go to resize the image and if I put 1920 in the first field it auto populates the 2nd field with 1081.6. I then have to crop again to constrain it to the screen (I know it's a tiny amount but it's annoying!) - Previously it would maintain the 16:9 ratio perfectly.

I've attached a video to show what I mean.  If I'm doing it wrong, let me know. :)

Assuming it was possible, what could you do with a document exported to a non-integer pixel width? Have you ever seen a JPEG, GIF, or PNG file that had a non-integer pixel width or height?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Use your crop ratio of 1:1.777... and when you go to resize to 1920 X 1080 click the lock and do away with the maintaining of the ratio 1:1.777... and type in 1920 and 1080.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

33 minutes ago, Daniel Warner said:

It ends up rounding down anyway, but the problem still persists. 

Usually, it rounds up, at least if the fractional part is 0.5 or more.

Anyway, there are a couple of workarounds that almost get what you want. One is to give the artboard a very slight rounded edge. I tried 0.5% & even though the display shows that as 0%, it really seems to be 0.5% & just displaying a rounded down value. The other is similar: set the Opacity of the white fill of the artboard to 99.5% in the Color panel, & again that seems to be the actual value even though the display rounds it up to 100%.

Wrong post! Oops.

Edited by R C-R

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 minutes ago, Daniel Warner said:

why this is happening in the first place. 

When you resize a 900 pixel width to 1920 pixels you get a fractional value (2.1333...) with which  to multiply the height. You want this to end up as integers you need even multiples or fractions of the original size. 960 pixels instead of 900.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

If what you are after is a 1920 x 1080 pixel image why not make a new document with those dimensions and place the picture of the boat into it and just slide the boat around resizing as you go until you are happy with the "cropping" and then export to what ever file type you want the final image to be. You don't even have to save the original 1920 x 1080 document.

• New doc
  • Place Boat
  • slide it about
  • export.

The boat was a random example of what is happening. It does it whatever the size, whether it's larger or smaller before the resize. 

The point is before 1.7, when I cropped an image using my own saved 16:9 preset (it wasn't built in then), when I resized it, it would ALWAYS maintain the ratio perfectly, but since the update, it is now always a few pixels out. It's not the end of the world, but something has obviously been changed and that is what I'm asking about. 

Hi,

I discovered this fact a while ago and wondered about it too. I don't recall seeing this behavior in Apple's Aperture program that I had used earlier so maybe Apple did the rounding in the background? Regardless, a friend told me a neat trick with math ratios: when I crop an image that I want to export to 1920 x 1080 but my image is much larger, watch for the vertical / height crop value and add the integers. Notice that adding the integers of 1080 = 9, but a multiple of 9 is fine too. So that the cropping software doesn't have to round up or down, or create unusual decimal values. It takes a bit of fiddling with it but the end result is correct. I've attached a screen capture from Canon's Digital Photo Professional 4, which I use almost always when I want to crop before editing.

16 x 9 crop.png

Edited by jkehoe
corrected a typo

2 hours ago, Daniel Warner said:

The point is before 1.7, when I cropped an image using my own saved 16:9 preset (it wasn't built in then), when I resized it, it would ALWAYS maintain the ratio perfectly, but since the update, it is now always a few pixels out.

Regardless of how an image was cropped, there are only two possibilities when it is resized:

1. Maintain the exact aspect ratio, which will sometimes result in non-integer widths or heights
  2. Round the non-integer value up or down to the nearest integer value

Which do you want? You can't have both.

Affinity Photo 

3 hours ago, Daniel Warner said:

it would ALWAYS maintain the ratio perfectly, but since the update, it is now always a few pixels out.

It is just distorted because of the smaller size image had to have a fraction of a pixel cut off when you cropped. Try enlarging the whole boat-original to 1920 wide and letting the height be what it may be. Then crop with the 1:1.77777 (or 16:9). You'll have a 1920 x 1080 pixel picture. In a more round about way than what I suggested earlier ;

1920 x 1080 document.

• New doc
  • Place Boat
  • slide it about
  • export.