You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[By Design] Outer shadow or blur gets really offset

Hi,

Publisher 1.7.1.399 on Mac.

A simple shape with an "Outer Shadow" effect looks like this in Publisher.

01.png.5f2769f9416871380c3694c5e943b024.png

02.png.49b16a981f0f22094e24311344d8364a.png

But looks like this when exported as PDF as default for Print PDF 1.7, 1.6 or 1.5
If i use a dark shape with "Gaussian Blur" the offset thing happens as well.

03.png.e91b19427e8ab2bde679e5571d696e2b.png

If exported as a JPG or PDF 1.4, PDF/X-1a, PDF/X-3 or PDF/X-4 the shadow looks correct.

06.png.6956e49629d18c16bbe1c9e80b92c5d4.png

Any one noticed this?

I've attached the Publisher file:

Publisher-test.afpub

Cheers

Seems to be an issue of Apples Preview.app.

In Acrobat it shows fine, also with Quicklook and in the sidebar (page overview) of Preview.app:

2077908347_shadowtest-acrobat.jpg.65ade5f6a51f1fc365c9d05ec2d97bfa.jpg       866117329_shadowtest-quicklook.jpg.2772eef165750e774a9433176b9b4047.jpg        

1957765226_shadowtest-preview-app.jpg.2f22682eb0555d67cdd3332950d348b9.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

thomaso, yes it seems you're right!

In Acrobat or the PDF viewer in Firefox it looks correct.
As well as in the mini preview sidebar in Preview App, but not full page in the Preview App.

It prints fine from Acrobat but this is how it looks printed from the Preview App :S

printed.jpg.0279add35b8b8a9cf42c666c441a5d85.jpg

While the print dialog displays it correct

preview-print.png.81690216567676c872f308ad69a4b69d.png

This has to be some bug.
I can't send PDF's to people on Mac's and tell them they have to install Acrobat Reader to be able to display and print it correctly.

Only to understand correctly:

You exported as PDF (Print), PDF version 1.7, 1.6, 1.5, no further modifications.

Here (macOS 10.14.5 and Preview 10.1) all looks absolutely correct.

Additionally: If this would(!) be a bug, but not a AffPub bug, your statement "I can't send PDF's to people on Mac's and tell them they have to install Acrobat Reader to be able to display and print it correctly.“ is kind of „stubborn“: If there is a bug in „Preview“ (doesn’t seem so in the actual version of macOS), and your document is build correctly, butisn’t displayed correctly by „Preview", what by the sake of god remains besides telling your customers that they have to use a different PDF viewer? :)

I had Mojave before but since i have a Nvidia GPU in my iMac 27 and Nvidia haven't provided any drivers i can't use GPU in any programs.
So as long as i have this iMac i'll have to stick with High Sierra to benefit some from programs that can use GPU. :(

But still... it has to be a bug in Publisher, it shouldn't export a PDF that Preview can't view or print correctly.

Why that??? If Acrobat/Acrobat Pro does it well, and Preview Mojave does it well, why on earth should this be an "Publisher“ bug? Perhaps there can be found a coding workaround within Publisher, but this does not mean at all, it is a bug.

Whould you say the same, if a TIF exported from AffPhoto, doesn’t display correctly in one(!) outdated(?) picture viewer?

I have no clue where the problem lies, It just seems like the issue starts when exporting from Publisher.
And if exported as JPG or any other PDF standards it looks alright.
Exporting a PDF (which looks weird) and then place it in a new Publisher document and export that produces a correct looking PDF.

If i do the same steps in a Designer or Photo document it doesn't happen.

Either way, i can't know what macOS version a customer has.
So if it is something that the devs can fix i'd be very happy.

@Jakerlund, do you experience this with other documents, too? – Possibly it is a matter of that specific document of yours?

1. When I draw into your .afpup another triangle + shadow it results with the same issue, regardless if on master page or p1 or a new p2 with no master assigned.

2. Whereas if I copy your triangle into a different document or draw a new triangle there then the result is failure free n Preview.app. 

1. New object in your document (no master assigned):

1903030334_shadowtest-samedocument.jpg.ad350700eb948402eee1bf1936d893d8.jpg

2. Copied + new object in different document:

958161983_shadowtest-differentdocument.jpg.504a8f8b7bbbe359ac6a5873a98e793d.jpg

@thomaso When i create a new Publisher document it defaults as a CMYK document and also exports as CMYK and will then look correctly.

But if i create a document from scratch as RBG and do the same Outer shadow on an object and export it, it will look messed up.
I also tested opening the same PDF on another computer with Mojave and as mentioned above it looks correctly.

It's a really weird issue, i mean if i get it in High Sierra others probably will to. O.o

RGB-vs-CMYK.thumb.jpg.246474f66ff90acb28ac5830bced2b0f.jpg

Good hint, but it's not because of RGB – but of 16 bit.
Switch your document setting to 8 bit – and it results fine.

(by the way, you might not get happy with 16 bit on export because compression does not really work then)

Did you choose in purpose particularly 16 bit to see what happens? Or haven't you noticed the option between an 8 and 16 bit RGB document?

Can you imagine any useful case for a 16 bit .afpub?

As I mentioned I myself don't see any advantage using a 16 bit document in AfPublisher.
(and I hoped you might tell one because of choosing 16 bit.)

Whereas 16 bit is useful in a pure image process (like editing a photo, developing a RAW) because of the advantage of a larger color space (more gradation in R, G and B) it seems to be quite useless in Publisher as a text layout app which can place images, too. The main output format in Publisher will be PDF with images as JPG. A JPG has max. 8 bit. Additionally to this technical limitation there is a weird issue in AfPub when exporting a pdf from a 16 bit document: the jpg does not get jpg- but zip-compression only –> the pdf file size can get enormous.

Yes, on screen and within AfPub.

But how would you output such a 16 bit gradient advantage? In PDF it can't get exported, same as print out. Thy only way would be an image format which supports 16 bit. That, imho, does not make sense for a multi-page layout document. But even if one exports all spreads/pages as single images – how would the further use be without loosing 16 bit?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.