Pattou

APhoto and FontBase, problem activating fonts

If I start FB to activate some fonts and then start APh, no problem either in FB to activate new fonts or APh to use them. If I started APh and use the app and then sart FB, I could not activate fonts (it happened twice). I am not sure 100% there is a link but I had only APh opened...

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 64 Go

I'm not able to replicate that.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 ; Win10 Home Version:1903, Build: 18362.207: Intel Core i7-4770, 3.90GHz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

3 hours ago, Ron P. said:

I'm not able to replicate that.

Thanks Ron. I will uninstall and reinstall FB (with the anti-virus off just in case...).

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 64 Go

I am using NexusFont for years - everything works great. In fact 1.7 works even better then before. In previous version I had to close and re-open project if I have changed font set inside of font manager. Now it updates on the fly.
Just in case you can check NexusFont too.

3 hours ago, nezumi said:

I am using NexusFont for years - everything works great. In fact 1.7 works even better then before. In previous version I had to close and re-open project if I have changed font set inside of font manager. Now it updates on the fly.
Just in case you can check NexusFont too.

I'm a former NexusFont user and it worked fantastic on Windows 7 but it's been buggy in both the installed and portable versions on Windows 10 for me. Very sad to let that one go.  I wish the dev would update the program! I spoke with the dev of Font Runner 3 and he claims to be going to do some work on that soon (we'll see)

On 6/17/2019 at 4:06 AM, Pattou said:

If I start FB to activate some fonts and then start APh, no problem either in FB to activate new fonts or APh to use them. If I started APh and use the app and then sart FB, I could not activate fonts (it happened twice). I am not sure 100% there is a link but I had only APh opened...

I have also had some issues with FontBase freezing artwork apps, such as Affinity (crashes Publisher entirely and freezes up Designer) and Adobe products and even on Inkscape. When it works, it works..when it doesn't, it's such a pain!  I feel like it works better if I start FB first, then whichever program.  A couple of fonts I wanted to use weren't seen in Publisher that I could see in FB and that happens occasionally too.   High-Logic Maintype works pretty well and Font Runner 3, while old and outdated, still works like a charm..better in fact than any other I've used.

@Pariah73 - yeah Nexus wasn't updated for a loooong time. I am still on win7 but I have to move to win10 soon because some software is not supported on win7... I know there has been one particular issue with Nexus on win10. You had to disable Windows Font Cache Service to fix it up.

I didnt knew Font Runner, thanks for mentioning it.

@nezumi @Pariah73 Thanks for your comments :)

I had to reinstall FB and it seems fine now. Indeed, it is better not to forget to start FB first before any Affinity apps.

Edit : sometimes (often ?) FB instantly crashes APhoto when started after APh

On 6/23/2019 at 10:09 PM, nezumi said:

@Pariah73 - yeah Nexus wasn't updated for a loooong time. I am still on win7 but I have to move to win10 soon because some software is not supported on win7... I know there has been one particular issue with Nexus on win10. You had to disable Windows Font Cache Service to fix it up.

I didnt knew Font Runner, thanks for mentioning it.

sure thing! hope it works for you! I think the thing with FontBase is that it loads ALL the fonts it sees so that every font is available in the program you're using..which is great in theory but usually ends up freezing the program. It usually froze up Illustrator and it would crash Publisher entirely, repeatedly. I start Maintype now, then whatever program and I can still view all my fonts in real time and just load the ones i want to use for the project so only a few additional ones at a time are being viewed in (for example) Publisher, which for me was almost unusable until i stopped using FontBase with it.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed in Windows for removing support for 7 already. It was certainly less finicky than 10.  I swear 10 is the most ''delicate'' operating system ever! Change one setting and watch 14 other things break. I miss my Linux computer so bad.  I swear if Serif ever made Affinity for Linux, I'd never look back.

On 6/24/2019 at 2:36 AM, Pattou said:

@nezumi @Pariah73 Thanks for your comments :)

I had to reinstall FB and it seems fine now. Indeed, it is better not to forget to start FB first before any Affinity apps.

Edit : sometimes (often ?) FB instantly crashes APhoto when started after APh

Hmm maybe i will try that. For me, FB would crash Publisher, either before or after but it seemed to freeze less than if I started Publisher/Photo/Designer first. Thanks for the idea!

1 hour ago, Pariah73 said:

Hmm maybe i will try that. For me, FB would crash Publisher, either before or after but it seemed to freeze less than if I started Publisher/Photo/Designer first. Thanks for the idea!

Every time I start FB after AD, AD instantly crashes.... maybe because I have text in my AD/APh file depending on a FB-activated font.... every time for me and my PC configuration.

If that is the only instance it crashes then its not big of a problem really. I always start font manager before starting software. However I sometimes change something inside manager while software is running. Affinity on Win7 reacts to it wonderfully - seamlessly updating, nothing is crashing. Could somebody who is using FB on win 10 comment if it is possible to change something (create new gorups etc.) in font managed while running Affinity? Or it will result in crash as well. Just wondering. Jeez... this switch to win 10 will be pain...