You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make Baseline Grid Manager accessible by design

16 minutes ago, valdemarlamego said:

by the way why isn't there a line tool in affinity designer?

You mean the Polygon or Line Mode in the Context Toolbar when you select the Pen tool?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

30 minutes ago, carl123 said:

it's not exactly rocket science to put it back

You're probably right, but I'm as dumb as a rock.

I can't see how to get that icon back in the toolbar. Like the OP, I don't have that icon anywhere in View/Customise Toolbar. And "Set baseline grid" doesn't exist as an option in Keyboard Shortcuts either. So I can add "Snap to baseline grid" in the Snapping options, but I can't get to that panel to set the baseline grid.

48 minutes ago, ianrobertdouglas said:

You're probably right, but I'm as dumb as a rock.

I can't see how to get that icon back in the toolbar. Like the OP, I don't have that icon anywhere in View/Customise Toolbar. And "Set baseline grid" doesn't exist as an option in Keyboard Shortcuts either. So I can add "Snap to baseline grid" in the Snapping options, but I can't get to that panel to set the baseline grid.

It doesn't involve anything you can do via the exposed User Interface (UI).

If you look at the FAQ article below, you'll see where Affinity stores its settings. The article mentions some files with .dat and .propcol extensions, where some of the settings are stored. Those files are in a binary format that can only be changed via the Affinity UI functions. But if you look in those directories you'll find some files that are editable using a standard text editor, and if you study those files, and do some experimentation, you may find you can make some interesting changes.

Of course, you should make backups, and be prepared to restore the files if you make any changes and break the applications :)  And, as you're then using the application in a way that Serif did not intend, nor test, nor document, you need to be prepared for things not to work completely right, or to work differently (or not at all) in future releases

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I hope I will be not accused for treason. Everyone being curious will find this anyway.

For Windows: Close AD if its open. You have to edit "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0\Workspaces\Vector\Toolbars.xml" and add the following line

<Item>BaselineGridGroup</Item>

somewhere between the other items listed there. Save the file and start AD again. And of course applies what Walt said: Do it at your own risk and make backups.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

26 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But if you look in those directories you'll find some files that are editable using a standard text editor, and if you study those files, and do some experimentation, you may find you can make some interesting changes.

Maybe that's the case under Windows. But under MacOS, there are only binary files.

1 minute ago, Joachim_L said:

I hope I will be not accused for treason. Everyone being curious will find this anyway.

For Windows: Close AD if its open. You have to edit "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0\Workspaces\Vector\Toolbars.xml" and add the following line

<Item>BaselineGridGroup</Item>

somewhere between the other items listed there. Save the file and start AD again. And of course applies what Walt said: Do it at your own risk and make backups.

Also, and especially about Baseline Grid handling, note that this will expose the Baseline Grid manager, and let you enable the baseline grid and control its settings. However, that's only part of the Baseline Grid functionality. Another part of it is the ability, for each Text Frame, to control whether that particular frame will honor or ignore the baseline grid. You only get that function if the Text Frame studio panel is available.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, ianrobertdouglas said:

Maybe that's the case under Windows. But under MacOS, there are only binary files.

Well, if they don't have the XML files then Mac users can't do that kind of unapproved tailoring, I guess.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff
On 6/22/2020 at 3:09 PM, Joachim_L said:

I hope I will be not accused for treason

not so much treason, but certainly against the spirit of the licensing agreement.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

You mean 11a?

11.    Except to the extent necessary for the normal and permitted use of the Serif Software or to the extent that such right cannot be excluded by law or to the extent required to be permitted by licensing terms governing use of open source components that may be included with the Serif Software:
a.    You have no right (and shall not permit any third party) to copy, adapt, amend, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, attempt to derive the source code of, create derivative works of, decrypt, modify, distribute or make error corrections to any aspect of the Serif Software in whole or in part;

OK, keeping my hands off next time, waiting for official error corrections.

------

• 1 year later...