You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When using the "inpainting" option with fill, choosing a colour has no effect?

I was using the "Fill" option under Edit.  It shows options down the left side, one of which is "Inpainting".  Decided to experiment, thinking that it would be useful.  Despite many experiments, I could not work out what it does.  After all, for inpainting all you need is a new pixel layer and identify that effects are shown on the layer below.  Then, I thought that I have the answer, you choose a colour and the inpainting uses that colour as a base, or influence.  However, I chose a bright blue and it had no effect at all.  Next, I tried to google an answer - but no result that I could find.

So, I pronounce myself defeated - please what is the purpose of the Inpainting option in Fill??

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

Inpainting is another method to clone out undesirable objects, it's not a painting tool in the same vane as the brush tool, i.e. you don't pick a colour and paint with that colour. 
https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Retouching/retouching_inpainting.html

Inpainting.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The inpainting option in Edit > Fill is a sort of automated alternative to using the Inpainting brush.

However, since inpainting involves using other parts of the image as a reference, it won't have an effect (or at least not one that I can see) unless there is a pixel ('marching ants') marquee selection to apply it to. That uses the area surrounding the pixel selection as a replacement reference.

So for example, to see how it works, try making a smallish elliptical marquee selection in the middle of a pixel layer & then going to Edit > Fill & select Inpainting. You may need to wait a bit for the results to appear but they should be obvious.

BTW, the Edit > Inpaint item in the section below the Fill... one, works the same way but slightly more helpfully is greyed out unless there is a marquee selection. It also shows a progress bar when needed, unlike the  Edit > Fill version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Inpainting is another method to clone out undesirable objects, it's not a painting tool in the same vane as the brush tool, i.e. you don't pick a colour and paint with that colour. 

Hi First Defence, have you taken any trouble at all to read my post?  I have used the inpainting tool a hundred times and know what it can do.  I highlighted my question, which is "what is the purpose of the Inpainting option in Fill"?  

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

58 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The inpainting option in Edit > Fill is a sort of automated alternative to using the Inpainting brush.

However, since inpainting involves using other parts of the image as a reference, it won't have an effect (or at least not one that I can see) unless there is a pixel ('marching ants') marquee selection to apply it to. That uses the area surrounding the pixel selection as a replacement reference.

So for example, to see how it works, try making a smallish elliptical marquee selection in the middle of a pixel layer & then going to Edit > Fill & select Inpainting. You may need to wait a bit for the results to appear but they should be obvious.

BTW, the Edit > Inpaint item in the section below the Fill... one, works the same way but slightly more helpfully is greyed out unless there is a marquee selection. It also shows a progress bar when needed, unlike the  Edit > Fill version.

Many thanks, RC-R, it is great to get the answer!  Doubly so, since you answered the actual question I was asking.  Is there some way to give you double thanks?  :):)

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

11 minutes ago, Jaffa said:

Is there some way to give you double thanks?  :):)

The way I figure it, you have given me double thanks -- one for my post & the other in your last reply. No need for more than that or even for a single one. The only thing important to me is learning if something I suggested answered a question or helped solve an issue. That's the only way I know if I am helping anybody or not.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7