You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug Report: Adjustment layer masks

This is a bug regarding adjustment layers. So I have a picture open and I make a brightness adjustment. Apart from the fact that the layer mask isn't automatically added to the adjustment layer, like in PS - but I can live w/ that - when I do make adjustments, they are not reflected in the file. Like I paint on the layer mask I just manually added in black or white, and it's like I never did anything.

This isn't just an issue w/ the new beta, it's been an issue. Is this a memory problem? What is going on here?

Every adjustment layer incorporates a mask. All you need to do is add the adjustment. Then, with the adjustment layer selected in the Layers panel, paint with Black to suppress the adjustment or with white to reveal the adjustment.

Probably adding the mask manually is part of what's causing your problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Every adjustment layer incorporates a mask. All you need to do is add the adjustment. Then, with the adjustment layer selected in the Layers panel, paint with Black to suppress the adjustment or with white to reveal the adjustment.

Probably adding the mask manually is part of what's causing your problem.

I should have phrased it better. The issue occurred when I put a mask on an actual layer and painted on it. Nothing happened.

Sounds a bit confusing ...
Are you sure you're using the  "Paint Brush Tool" and NOT the "Colour Replacement Brush"  ?

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

17 hours ago, HVDB Photography said:

Sounds a bit confusing ...
Are you sure you're using the  "Paint Brush Tool" and NOT the "Colour Replacement Brush"  ?

I know how to use layer masks. I know what to do w/ them. It seems that Affinity Photo doesn't. If I paint w/ black on a layer mask I expect the photo to show a result in the viewer, but it doesn't. Or it only does on parts of it and on the others it's as I'd never painted on them.

OMG, this has got to be the stupidest thing. When you copy adjustment layers from another document, unlike photoshop the layer is the dimension of that first document. It doesn't adjust to where it's dragged, no matter what you fill it with. That should DEFINITELY be fixed. Jeezes.