You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7 > lost "place" >Win10

bugga bugga bugga -- just added 1.7 and ''place'' is not working as before 
computer did not seem happy after downloading/installing so it was turned off/on a couple times --- still not a happy camper as before 

''Place'' did work with one tiff file only at a time
now  files in the "edit" folder don't show when ''place' is clicked; but do so if "open" is used  --- just checked and the same happens when any folder selected. 

Hells bells it's hard using a right hand mouse in the left hand instead of the right hand that has been "out of action" for a month due to a damn tennis elbow  

Cheers :)

6 hours ago, ianrb said:

'Place'' did work with one tiff file only at a time

Place works for me fine. Do you have a specific file that doesn't work for you?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

7 hours ago, ianrb said:

'Place'' did work with one tiff file only at a time
now  files in the "edit" folder don't show when ''place' is clicked; but do so if "open" is used  --- just checked and the same happens when any folder selected. 

Check that the ‘Files of type’ dropdown list in the dialog isn’t restricting your view of the files in the folder.

Hells bells it's hard using a right hand mouse in the left hand instead of the right hand that has been "out of action" for a month due to a damn tennis elbow

I’m sorry to hear about the tennis elbow, and I wish you a speedy recovery! Meanwhile, can’t you change the ‘handedness’ of your mouse via Windows Control Panel?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

In 1.7 File > Place is sensitive to where you're placing the file. Placing into a Text Frame will only offer text files by default, for example. But placing onto an empty page will offer all kinds.

And in Publisher, Placing into a Picture Frame will only offer image or image-like (.afdesign, .afpub, .afphoto, .pdf, etc.) files.

It's also further complicated by considering whether you use File > Place or the Place Image Tool.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the replies
:)'type of file' fixed the blank folder so I can now see the images --- usually tiff
:) I can now place an image onto a blank page or photo 

:( placing a number of selected images does not work as before where all image were placed with just one click 
:) however all the selected images can be placed with multiple clicks ----- one click again would be good 

Tennis elbow: had a cortisone injection yesterday so should be back to "normal" within a week :)
Computer mouse: mine is a Jenkin that is shaped with a right hand thumb grip --- good to use but not in the left hand. The interesting part is how I have adjusted to the mouse in the left hand . Sometime ago there was the suggestion that we should use the mouse in the left hand so the right is free to use the number keys ; and, we (right handed) can type better with the right hand . No idea how left handers get along in the right hand world ----  cameras are not actually left hand friendly and even less friendly for those with one arm/hand. 

Always wished I preserved more with a pen and tablet years ago when giving it a try . 

Cheers; would be great if you can find a fix to place a number files with one click as "place" is a great tool I use often 

6 hours ago, ianrb said:

:( placing a number of selected images does not work as before where all image were placed with just one click 
:) however all the selected images can be placed with multiple clicks ----- one click again would be good

The behavior was changed because the old, all-at-once one did not give users control over the size or position of each individual placed image (or embedded file if any are included in the selection), so they were all placed one on top of the other. Some users complained about this because additional steps were needed to position & size each one as desired. That was particularly annoying if they were all about the same size so that the topmost one covered all or most of those below it.

With the new behavior, users can place each image anywhere on the canvas at any size, in any layer stacking order, with various options that include placed from the edge (!!!) or center of the drag starting point, and with or without aspect ratio correction, using or ignoring snapping for the placement of each item. As you might imagine, this extra level of control & the availability of these options can save a lot of time in many workflows, even if it would not in yours.

But if you still want to approximate the old behavior, you can still use the drag & drop placement method, but of course that requires enough screen space to show both the source folder & the Affinity workspace window at the same time, which may not be convenient. (On Macs there is a way around that using the macOS App Switcher, but it is a bit less user-friendly than a simple drag & drop, & of course it won't work with Windows.)

EDIT: I just realized that not all the options I mentioned above seem to be available in Affinity Photo (or if they are I have not found them yet) but they are all there in Affinity Designer & are a boon to certain workflows.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

17 hours ago, R C-R said:

The behavior was changed because the old, all-at-once one did not give users control over the size or position of each individual placed image

suited me as files were export from Lr5 at set sizes; however the new way will not long to get used to and I will likely find it better 
on a positive note; they seemed to have fixed problem with placed jpeg files being too large . 
Always a learning curve with most big up-grades and I'm still to find most improvements --- appreciating the large layer icons which is something I asked for

Thank you all for your help which has worked better than that cortisone injection  9_9 :)