You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

141GM - Tone Mapping Sliders hesitate

In the Tone Mapping persona, the sliders for various adjustments such as Exposure, Black Point, etc. hesitate when making adjustments. In other words, you can slide a slider but the effect doesn't show immediately. This is using OpenGL based on the problems encountered with the clone tool using Metal. Really makes it tough to do adjustments when you have to guess where to put the slider, then wait for the change to happen. Makes it very much trial and error as opposed to real-time. 

About.jpeg

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

• Staff

Hi nwhit,

I've tried this with Metal compute and OpenGL and I'm getting instant feedback from the sliders and canvas. Could it be image specific? Could you try it with one of the stock images? I've tried a few raw files and I can't see a difference between those and say, a JPEG. 

Had this happen all day yesterday. I had shut off metal due to the problem with the clone tool, so switching to OpenGL didn't resolve this issue.

This was in our normal workflow of HDR Merge of 3 Nikon RAW (NEF) 24mp pics. In the Tone Mapping portion, we need to tweak the settings. In 1.6.7 we never had any issues with the sliders, but since switching to 1.7.1 beta Saturday for a normal client project, we routinely had slow sliders with a definite one-thousand-and-one delay in sliding versus seeing the effect. Never had that before in 1.6.7.

I also just tried it with a 24mp jpeg and it does the same thing. Not sure why, but it is consistent. Also just restarted APh and tried it with a 2.4mp jpg and get pretty much the same thing. Sometimes the effect was almost aligned with the slider, but several times trying it on that pic, the effect was delayed a second or more. And I don't see any other process or app using any extraordinary cpu or memory. 

All in all, the new version seems faster by a little bit in this overall workflow (merge, tone map, touch-up, export), especially in the Save, but the sliders in Tone Mapping are definitely slower for us. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

I just tried restarting the computer to see if it made a difference. With very little else running and using some of the same Nikon NEF merge files, still the same issue. As before, the initial slide takes the longest to "catch up", whereas successive slides are sometimes instantaneous. But not always. Always a mixture of delayed response with immediate response. 

Can't think of anything else that would be causing this issue. And as said before, it never occurred with 1.6 doing thousands of these same merges/tone mapping.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• Staff

Hey nwhit,

I just tried it from a merge of a random mix of raw files and it still isn't lagging for me. I don't think this will be file specific but could you upload some of your NEF files to this private Dropbox folder. 

Has it ever crashed whilst adjusting the sliders? If you are able, a screen recording will really help too.

I'm sorry this has caused you so much trouble :/

Just tried it again this morning and still the same results. The sliders' response will stick sometimes, then go to instantaneous for the next couple slides. Repeatable on multiple sets. And as said before, never had this issue on 1.6.7 after doing thousands of these merges/mappings. 

I uploaded 2 sets of Nikon NEFs for you to try.

I do have Metal turned off due to the Clone tool problem, but are my other settings for 1.7.1 correct for my iMac?  Here's a screen capture from just now.

GM Perf Settings.jpeg

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• Staff

Hey nwhit,

I have managed to reproduce this. I don't think it was specific to the images you sent though. I noticed in your video you could see most of the UI with everything expanded so I changed my Display settings to 'More Space' and I then noticed that I was getting on average a 1 second lag but occasionally this became a 2-3 second lag. 

Interestingly, even though Metal compute generally works wonders on my machine, it was even slower with this enabled.

I've got enough now to log it with development. Thanks for persisting with this :) 

Interestingly, I just installed the MAS 1.7.1. It opened preset to Metal Compute with Display greyed out at Metal. Now the sliders are working normally and are responsive. Strange!

With the Metal Compute on, I also tried the Clone Tool to see if it was still delayed. It wasn't as bad as it had been with the beta. Not as smooth as in 1.6.7 but not horrible. 

Not sure why it works better now but just glad it does since I have another 500+ merge/mappings to do next week. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.